Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Blendshapes not working

Discussion in 'Animation' started by livelostlasvegas, Jan 16, 2020.

1. livelostlasvegas

livelostlasvegas

Hi,

I'm trying to import blendshapes into Unity from Maya. I've been doing the same thing that I always do : select the blendshapes, select my skeleton and animation and export. It works for all my other models but for some reason it's not working for this one.

When I import the FBX into Maya, the main mesh is missing and all the blendshapes are showing up like meshes. How do I fix this?

Yes - Animation and Blendshapes options are checked in Maya when exporting.
    Yes - Import Blendshapes is checked in Unity.
    Yes - I did actually create Blendshapes. They show up in the Shape Editor.

I've tested a previous model by exporting with the same settings I'm using with this new model and everything works.

2. davidnibi

davidnibi

Do they have Skinned Mesh Renderer? They should automatically have this assigned when you import them, there are also options in there for BS.

3. livelostlasvegas

livelostlasvegas

No, the skinned mesh is not showing at all and the blendshapes are showing as regular objects with mesh renderers on them. I found out that the problem lies with the history on the mesh in Maya. Since I confirmed this is a Maya issue, I'm in the Maya forum trying to figure out how to remove the inputs without having to re-do the weight painting. Trying to export a weight map gives an error so I'm stuck. :( Thanks for the response though!

4. davidnibi

davidnibi

Oh good luck, I'm often on the sister Max forum and it has seriously put years on me. :)

BTW, blendshape, or morph targets, work 100% through max. ;)