Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Blending Camera Position and Rotation at Different Rates?

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by FuriousEX, Jan 13, 2021.

1. FuriousEX

FuriousEX

I have some camera set ups where the blends just don't flow well because the camera rotates either too quickly or too slowly while moving between one vcam and another. The Transitons -> Blend Hints don't seem to help here.

Is there a way to blend the body and aim (or even the final mixed translation and rotation) at different rates?

Thanks,
    JT

2. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

It depends on your exact situation. Cinemachine uses the LookAt target as an important hint when blending aim. You can use that to influence how the aim blends. Do your vcams have LookAt targets? Can you show the setup, i.e. the inspectors for the from and to vcams, and their positions in the scene, along with the targets?

3. FuriousEX

FuriousEX

Thanks I would definitely appreciate your thoughts - the simpler case here is a long, large Group shot from a fixed point to a closer, smaller group shot with a locked transposer and offset. The camera rotation lags behind in this case.

cineBlend_A_From.png

To:
    cineBlend_A_To.png

Another case where the transition doesn't work well is a more complicated set up. The Look Ats are set but I don't think they do anything. Here I have a the first cam high framing 2 groups (both in TargetGroupB); the second cam is closer in and low on the further group (Target Group A). The first group is in motion.

My transition happens as the near group moves towards Group A - in this case the camera pitches too quickly - if it were slower I could get a nice swooping view of the charging group as it coincides with the target group.

cineBlend_B_From.png

To:

cineBlend_B_To.png

Thanks,
    JT

4. FuriousEX

FuriousEX

Hi there @Gregoryl - curious if you had any thoughts on my issues?

Thanks,
    JT

5. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Sorry for the delay, this thread dropped off my radar.

I don't see any glaring issues in the inspectors. It's difficult for me to visualize all this just based on the text positions of vcams and targets. Could you mock-up a little project with simple cubes etc that reproduces this problem and send it to me? It would be a lot faster than trying to imagine all of this.