Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Blender3d + UE4 + Unity3d = <3

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Deleted User, Jul 15, 2019.

1. joshcamas

joshcamas

I mean, sure... But the chances of that are in the negative.

2. Zarconis

Zarconis

I'm trying out 2.8 at the moment, the key bindings etc. are seriously weird and there's no Maya modelling keymappings as such unless you set it up yourself.

For example a loopcut is shift, space, command + R. What do they think I am a bloody spider?! Just why?! Some of it they've taken from modo obviously like 1,2,3 for face / edge select etc.

The reason to press option / rotate is so you can keep control of your mouse direction and lock at certain points when doing close up work in blender you just move the mouse no keys required. With a Magic mouse it's constantly moving back and forth as you're doing other tasks.

I wasn't super into Blender and it's mappings / layout and general oddness but I became used to it. Now..! I'm sure many will get used to it but even simple navigation absolutely sucks.

Gotta admit, interested in the new Modo 13.X with Unity bridge, procedurals and a host of new animation stuff.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  3. Ryiah

Ryiah

From their FAQ. Based on that Unity would have to be making a project related to UE4. Won't happen.

upload_2019-7-18_4-33-28.png

4. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Not unless some madman at epic or unity creates a unity to unreal exporter or the reverse :D

Ofcourse they would probably lose their job for wasting time on something neither company wants in the process (because there is literally 0 point in the 2 biggest competitors helping each other, unless they were already planning a merger - which in my opinion would be the first sign of the apocalypse).

Zarconis likes this.
  5. Ryiah

Ryiah

I wonder if you would have to pay for both engines if you used both substantially in the development of your game. :p

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  6. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Heh.. yea I had to get a separate mouse for blendering. It doesn't play well with the Magic mouse, which is lame as no other apps seem to have a problem with it. I have downloaded 2.8 (after this thread), but have yet to try it. Honestly I am sure I want to, though I know I will have to at some point.

MadeFromPolygons and Zarconis like this.
  7. Zarconis

Zarconis

Yeah MM doesn't play well with Modo either, probably all the mixed signals as it's trying to be a trackpad as well. Off to the shop soon to replace it.

8. joshcamas

joshcamas

Relating to UE4... Relating to UE4... HMMMM ;)
    ***Unity Game but the only difference is that it shows the Unreal Engine logo somewhere***

9. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

I was really reserved about 2.8 as well but now after 2 weeks of getting used to it I genuinely cant go back to earlier versions of blender! Which I never thought I would say!

It really was difficult to basically relearn everything but I can honestly say I am already much faster with the new workflow, keybindings and general layout. It also doesnt burn the eyes of my colleages to look at blender in office anymore which is great because now I can start shoving it down everyones throats again and push for us to move onto it instead of paying autodesk insane amounts for almost same toolset

frosted and zombiegorilla like this.
  10. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

I require consistency on input devices, I have use a magic mice for my different computers, and everything has the same keyboards, tablets, etc. Ideally so the desktop experience matches the mobile experience and the other way around. Magic trackpad helps that as well. The magic mouse sensitivity and general interaction matches all that very well. Except with blender (never tried modo, and off course it doesn't work with maya). If I am not mobile I either dig out my "blender mouse" or just switch the magic trackpad.

I have been using blender forever, and am quite comfortable with its ui and hotkeys... not looking forward to relearning. sigh... I am hoping most of my plugins still work likes boxcutter and such.

11. joshcamas

joshcamas

Sadly 2.8 brings a lot lot of API changes, since it is of course 4 years in development... I had to do a lot of changes even for my simple scripts

12. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

That is encouraging and good to hear. I may bite the bullet and give it a shot the weekend then.

MadeFromPolygons and joshcamas like this.
  13. joshcamas

joshcamas

Also remember there's a option to use 2.7x keybindings, to aid in transitioning :)

14. konsic

konsic

Blender got node based particles. But it's different than Unity's VFX.

15. iamthwee

iamthwee

Interesting development! I have tried the latest version of blender and I must say I'm really impressed with Evee or whatever it is called. But as I don't use that GE, I've switched back to the old version because of the interface every blender user is used to.

16. Murgilod

Murgilod

The old interface sucks. I'm never going back, even if just because the new retopo workflow is so much better now.

Ryiah and iamthwee like this.
  17. iamthwee

iamthwee

Hmm interesting, might be worth giving it another go then, but I found the conflict between my old muscle memory too taxing at first.

For retopo I'm using this plugin.

https://blendermarket.com/products/retopoflow

I think they have a free version on github.
    https://github.com/CGCookie/retopoflow

and instant meshes for the quick stuff...

https://github.com/wjakob/instant-meshes

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  18. TheGaul

TheGaul

As a business decision this seems completely stupid. As a PR decision maybe has some point to it, but quite a costly way of cosying up to the indie crowd.

Giving a company a million dollars and having no say in how it's used is utterly stupid. Apparently Unreal have so much money they can just throw it away.

The new Blender doesn't even work well on my laptop. Mind you, nor does Unreal.

Give me the million bucks. I'd make better use of it. I'd buy a yacht and sail it to the med.

Consipracy theory:
    A former employee at Unreal is leaving to join Blender and has worked out a way to funnel $1 million into his off shore bank account!
    That's not actually true before anyone tries to sue me.

19. Ryiah

Ryiah

UE4 is completely understandable (you basically need a GeForce 10 series card to get good performance), but if Blender isn't working well it's time to buy a new laptop. :p

joshcamas likes this.
  20. joshcamas

joshcamas

yeahh I remember running blender fine on my computer that could barely handle minecraft on the lowest settings :^)

21. TheGaul

TheGaul

It's a newish Lenovo Core i3 7th gen laptop. I mean Blender works but the Evee real time rendering just makes artifacts. As usual nobody cares about Intel Integrated graphics. :( IDK maybe they will fix it in the release but I doubt it.

artifacts.png

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  22. Murgilod

Murgilod

Eevee needs proper hardware acceleration that intel integrated lacks. Try the workbench renderer instead.

joshcamas likes this.
  23. Ryiah

Ryiah

How long ago was this? Because the developers have already fixed at least one problem involving randomly colored pixels.

https://developer.blender.org/T64774

Do you have the latest graphics driver? It may not fix anything with Blender but it does improve performance for UE4.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28888/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers?product=97503

24. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I thought it was specifically for the improvement of Blender? If so, that's not "no say".

25. konsic

konsic

26. Ryiah

Ryiah

27. konsic

konsic

It would be useful to have procedural world generation tools in Blender.

28. Ryiah

Ryiah

Procedural world generation is already achievable with Blender. There are tons of resources available on the topic.

joshcamas likes this.
  29. TheGaul

TheGaul

Ubisoft has the right idea.

Seems like Ubisoft is sort of buying their way onto the Blender council so they can mold the tool to their needs while at the same time Blender can maintain the pretence that it is free from corporate control.

Actually not a bad plan, the alternative would be for Ubisoft to create a fork of Blender in their own company which is never a good idea.

Probably Unreal is doing something without being so open about it. Unless they really are just throwing money away.

30. Ryiah

Ryiah

Tell me do you go around all day wearing a tinfoil hat? :p

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_deduction

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    angrypenguin and Lurking-Ninja like this.
  31. TheGaul

TheGaul

I never really understood the tax deduction thing. If you give away a $1 million wouldn't you lose more than you gain from reducing your tax? o_O

No I don't wear a tin foil hat.... the aliens cracked that technology years ago.

iamthwee likes this.
  32. It's easy. You're giving away money to gain PR and/or marketing "points". So it's good to your reputation. And then you lower your taxes so we, tax payers finance your PR/marketing engine. It's simple as that. Essentially it is low-cost PR.

ps (edit): in this case EPIC has other gains from this transaction, BTW, obviously they benefit if there is a free tool on the market which is working nicely with their software. And after this transaction, does not matter that there is no real corporate control, BF will do everything they can that Blender is working with UE.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2019
    Antypodish and Ryiah like this.
  33. TheGaul

TheGaul

Ah, I see. So a company could have it's own "charity foundation" which essentially makes products for the company. And then the company could lower it's taxes by donating to that charity. Wow, that's sneaky. But in a way, good, because then the chairty foundation would also have to do something charitable, like give away their product for free to the public.

34. It depends on the country and the exact rules. There are rules, obviously, so you may not allowed to be that sneaky.

35. Ryiah

Ryiah

This, and realistically if the government is that lax chances are you're already doing something far worse than that.

36. joshcamas

joshcamas

There's a reason why grocery stores (here in America at least) always ask if you want to donate. Sneaky bois

37. Antypodish

Antypodish

Not exactly tax donating, but buying expensive / vintage cars and art helps to evade tax paying in many cases, by investing in asset, as part of expenses. Then you can sell them back when need cash. Similarly when company buys assets, i.e. machinery and tools as expenses. Results => reduced taxes, while gained assets.

38. RichardKain

RichardKain

Also, being in a given tax "bracket" can substantially bump up what percentage you are required to pay. If your annual salary is close to the edge of one of those brackets, a little charitable giving can bump you down into a lower tax bracket, which can in turn reduce the overall amount that you will end up paying. (since your overall percentage will also decrease, and offset the money you gave away)

Tax accountants frequently advise their clients on such charitable tax reductions on a regular basis. It's all wrapped up in the technical bureaucracy of tax administration, and is usually terribly confusing.

Bottom line, charitable contributions lead to tax breaks. And those tax breaks are substantial enough to make them worthwhile for the companies in question. Also, positive PR is not to be sneered at either.

Ryiah and joshcamas like this.
  39. BenThomas5

BenThomas5

I started on my creative journey over 30 years ago as a musician. Through the decades, I have picked up a wide variety of skills, with over 20 years as an accomplished website developer, programmer, graphics artist, photographer, journalist, published author, video game developer, 3D modeler and animator!

40. Frienbert

Frienbert

ok?

41. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

I genuinely have no idea what the point of this comment was. Good for you?

Deleted User and Antypodish like this.
  42. joshcamas

joshcamas

43. Antypodish

Antypodish

Typically similar calls offtopic / derailing / at best trolling.

I am with @GameDevCouple_I

44. Zarconis

Zarconis

Good for you? I know text is a little impersonal not being able to pick up cue's body language gives off but I'm not sure how one couldn't understand that was just a joke. There was no point to it and yes it was de-railing but in all fairness this thread was done a while back ago.

A free open tool used by many gets some decent funding to improve, cool.. Next --->

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  45. Antypodish

Antypodish

This is where emoticons where invented for. :):cool::( Can not expect, that somebody reading will be same mind like, or in the same mood.

So why continuing and doing it for purpose? Do not considering other may be interested in thread? No need to answer btw.

At least first 88 post was related to the topic. Rest is left to personal deduction, where nonsense started.

46. Zarconis

Zarconis

It was one post chief, you're now de-railing it further with your monotone preaching about how "forums" should work. If you're going to fun police every single thread for the odd off topic post then you'll end up a spammer. Now we're in disagreement this thread will get shut down by the mods whether it was interesting or not.

You didn't need to state anything but "this topic is interesting, let's keep it on track" instead of some quest to pick apart whatever strikes your mood. If you're that bothered (which is a little odd in context), request all those that posted off topic delete their responses.

47. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Easy folks.... fairly certain the post that Zarc is mocking is a spam bot, and presumably mocking it as such. (least that is how I read it). It was reported but I didn't delete it on the off chance there is a (confused) human behind it. lets jump back on track and chalk it up to bad communication.

48. Zarconis

Zarconis

On a side note, it seems Ubisoft and Khara are also adding to Blenders development fund. At this rate Blender is going to become a very interesting project in years to come. Might end up edging out every other DCC?! Speculation of course but interesting times.

49. Antypodish

Antypodish

Could anyone confirm, weather grand from Unreal to Blender, affected recent changes / improvements in Blender UI?
    I am curious, if there were related.

50. Ryiah

Ryiah

I'm not completely aware of the history behind the new UI, but I know that there was a push for a new UI for a very long time now and it's definitely older than Epic's MegaGrants.

Antypodish and joshcamas like this.