Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Blender3d + UE4 + Unity3d = <3

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TenKHoursDev, Jul 15, 2019.

1. TenKHoursDev

TenKHoursDev

https://www.blendernation.com/2019/...r-foundation-with-1-2-million-epic-megagrant/

The above is a really interesting new development.

I completely understand that discussion of other engines is not permissible here, so I'll change the position:

What if Unity3d contributed (in some form) to Blender3d? Its an open source platform and a middle ground. Donations in the form of support, code, or monetary contributions benefits literally everybody.

Best yet (for Unity) you don't run the risk of Blender3d becoming a UE4 exclusive! :p

Please discuss. :D

iamthwee likes this.
  2. SparrowsNest

SparrowsNest

"
    Note that this does not give Epic Games control over Blender's roadmap; Ton Roosendaal comments on Twitter:

The MegaGrant is a true grant, with as only requirement that we really spend it on improving Blender. "

That said I think unity should pitch in too in the spirit of things, none of them should try and take it over (leave that to adobe), they get a lot of benefit from blender.

3. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Sorry but you know it not even possible because its open source

GameDevCouple_I likes this.
  4. TenKHoursDev

TenKHoursDev

Valid point. Hadn't thought of that.

5. Murgilod

Murgilod

Also it's quite specifically a donation, not a buyout.

TenKHoursDev likes this.
  6. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Unity supports Blender by supporting the native files. It's cool that Epic is donating to Blender, and they have before. Its also worth noting that that donation comes from their developer fund. So another way to look at it is that is 1.2million not going to game developers. ;)

Joe-Censored, Xskey and TenKHoursDev like this.
  7. Murgilod

Murgilod

As a Blender user, it absolutely goes to me :v

JamesArndt, ikazrima, Ony and 5 others like this.
  8. Lurking-Ninja

Lurking-Ninja

I see the headlines: "EPIC supports Unity users!"

IcyPeak_S, frosted, xVergilx and 2 others like this.
  9. Ryiah

Ryiah

Investing $1.2 million directly into game developers only benefits the few game developers that can get the money, but investing it into the tools they use benefits everyone using those tools. Plus there is no guarantee that investing in game developers will produce good results, whereas Blender is not going away any time soon.

I'd be perfectly happy seeing Epic Games continue this path with regular investments in open source tools like Blender.

10. MBrown42

MBrown42

For some reason I think of Oracle buying java, if the $$ Epic dumps into Blender generates success on many levels as pointed out by @Ryiah & @zombiegorilla , the value of blender to the industry as a whole will grow exponentially. That might be the time such an asset would be invaluable for Epic to own outright. --pessimism rules--

"if it bleeds, we can kill it" - Predator Movie
    "if it grows, they will buy it" - Alien proverb

11. Murgilod

Murgilod

Except, as stated, Blender isn't compatible with a buyout. It is, in fact, not really possible to buyout.

zombiegorilla likes this.
  12. MBrown42

MBrown42

Yes @Murgilod , this round of donation is not a buyout. I am postulating on possible future events.
    Can you elaborate on how it is not really possible to buyout the blender foundation?

13. Murgilod

Murgilod

There's a few reasons:
    1. Blender Foundation is a non-profit. You can not sell a non-profit.
    2. Even if you could, Blender (the software), is free open source software. Buying it would accomplish nothing.
    3. Even the specific license of Blender means that they wouldn't even be able to make a closed source derivative.
    Basically? They can't, and even if they could it'd accomplish nothing.

MBrown42 and Ryiah like this.
  14. Lurking-Ninja

Lurking-Ninja

Blender cannot bought out. Not even in the future. What EPIC can do is to take the source of Blender and build their own software on the top of it. But they would lose all the positive effects of being open source (unless they also make it open source, then it does not matter).

If Blender Foundation close tomorrow or becomes a subsidiary of Epic Games (very low chance this to happen, practically zero), anyone (the community) takes the source code and continue building the open source Blender. So there is no real benefit to buy out.

MBrown42, joshcamas and Ryiah like this.
  15. joshcamas

joshcamas

Super awesome that Epic has done this :) I don't see Unity donating money to blender - Unity has been pretty stingy in the past (ie the whole Enlighten license fiasco). But hey, maybe I'll be proven wrong.

16. Murgilod

Murgilod

I'd rather Unity be stingy than get stuck with Enlighten being the thing people are expected to use going forth, honestly.

17. joshcamas

joshcamas

Problem with them being stingy is that we've been stuck with an ancient Enlighten build for years now, and we will continue to be stuck with it until it is replaced in 3-5 years, out of preview only if we're extremely lucky.
    And of course them being extremely misleading about it doesn't help anything.

Regardless, we probably shouldn't be clogging up this thread whoops

18. Lurking-Ninja

Lurking-Ninja

So company should ask its user base if they allow the company to not to contract with another company? Otherwise it is "stingy"? WTF is wrong with the consumer-world? Do you want to OK their toilet-paper-purchases as well? Seriously.

You know nothing about what did or did not happen between Unity and Silicon Studio. You don't know how this move would affect Unity's plans in the future. So I don't think you're fair when you call them stingy just because they didn't want to contract with another company.

19. joshcamas

joshcamas

Such a angry reply wowee. It's true that I do not know what went down, but I can guess. I suppose I should have said "I think". Would that make you feel better? ^_^

20. Lurking-Ninja

Lurking-Ninja

Angry? I'm not angry. I am disappointed. As always, when people is judging anything unfairly. I know, I'm used to it. Happens all the time.
    You don't have to make me feel better. It's an open forum, you're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine. So whatever.

You can guess all day long, it won't make it true or realistic.

TenKHoursDev likes this.
  21. Ryiah

Ryiah

I wasn't aware that Unity announced the releases they were using for Enlighten, or that we could look online at the release notes as new versions became available from Geomerics.

Edit: Just found where the release notes used to be but the website is gone now thanks to the buy out.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  22. joshcamas

joshcamas

According to this, Unity has been using an old SDK:

JamesArndt and Ryiah like this.
  23. Lurking-Ninja

Lurking-Ninja

Yes, not from Silicon Studio. They're hurt because Unity chose to see through the contract with Geometrics and not sign another one with them. This is what I was talking about. Unity never used Silicon Studio's Enlighten. Ever. And Unity never mentioned Silicon Studio's Enlighten.

Ryiah likes this.
  24. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

True dat.
    Yea, but I am two versions behind, so it doesn't go to me. :(

joshcamas likes this.
  25. joshcamas

joshcamas

:( That is a big sad

26. Murgilod

Murgilod

I always knew you weren't one of the fast zombies

AcidArrow, Ony, TenKHoursDev and 3 others like this.
  27. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

I love blender and use it nearly everyday for everything (games, art, 3d printing, etc). But it is rock stable and does everything I need... I just am never compelled to upgrade. I usually just upgrade when I get a new computer.

Ony, Gekigengar and joshcamas like this.
  28. joshcamas

joshcamas

Fair enough, no need to upgrade if you don't have a reason to. I'm assuming you've heard about the changes in blender 2.8? It has some pretty nice usability changes that convinced me to switch, at least

29. Ryiah

Ryiah

That moment you upgrade to 2.8 and are left with the feeling someone got on your computer and rearranged your icons.

blender28.png

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    SparrowsNest likes this.
  30. Murgilod

Murgilod

I spent the better part of the last few days deep-diving into the change. I felt like this the whole way through:

joshcamas likes this.
  31. joshcamas

joshcamas

I gave up trying to get used to not being able to toggle selection with ctrl a and just switched the key bindings to 2.79

iamthwee likes this.
  32. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

wow... that is different. still on 2.78.

SparrowsNest likes this.
  33. joshcamas

joshcamas

OH LOL I thought you meant you were using 2.6 or 2.5 I was like damn...

34. TenKHoursDev

TenKHoursDev

On a Blender related note: trying to do anything with Blender on a laptop is not a fun experience. The heat wells up from within the machine and warms your wrists as you type/press-hot-keys and manipulate the device. Not fun for someone with tendon issues. Don't ask me why. :p

35. joshcamas

joshcamas

Sounds like ya need a laptop with better cooling buddy

angrypenguin likes this.
  36. TenKHoursDev

TenKHoursDev

Nah brah. Pretty much any laptop will get a bit warm after continued use...

37. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

I only work on laptops. I have a windows tower, but that is in the living room and only for games/vr. (though technically my production lappy does have an egpu.)

38. Ryiah

Ryiah

That said some get warmer than others, and every once in a while you get a case of a company's laptops catching fire. :p

39. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

It also should be noted that many companies today don't refer to a "laptop". Most are variations on the "book" theme. In fact here are some from quotes from popular 'book's manuals:
    HP EliteBook / Chromebook:
    MacBook Pro:
    And almost all others to one degree or another. Laptops are recommended to not be use on your lap.
    ;)

TenKHoursDev likes this.
  40. Arowx

Arowx

Isn't there more to this than just funding, I got the impression that the Blender to Unreal import process has received a lot of love and attention making it very easy to get what you see in Blender into Unreal (PBR materials).

On the other hand Blender 2.8 to Unity requires FBX export and the PBR material mapping does not work correctly.

JamesArndt and joshcamas like this.
  41. Murgilod

Murgilod

That's entirely on Unity's end.

Ryiah, joshcamas and zombiegorilla like this.
  42. RichardKain

RichardKain

It's entirely possible that there are ulterior motives from Epic. Companies like that frequently do little that is purely altruistic. If nothing else, they've probably done it for the headlines and the positive press, which they have certainly gotten.

If nothing else, they probably made this donation to more closely associate an indie-friendly project like Blender with their own game Engine. (and by extension, their on-line game store) Right now, Epic is very interested in attracting development to the Epic Store. Getting people working in Unreal Engine is an obvious first step. Anyone working with Unreal Engine can use the engine for free when releasing the game on the Epic Game Store. Donating to the Blender fund is an easy way to encourage the active Blender developers to start looking more seriously at Unreal Engine integration.

Also, a move like this is an easy way for them to indirectly support small-scale indie development, and put on a friendly face to small-scale or individual developers. Given it's open-source status, Blender has been the go-to modeling tool for developers on a tight budget. Modeling and animation software tends to be expensive, Blender fills a very real need for small-scale developers. Throwing some money Blender's way is an easy way for them to boost support for the indie community in general. (without directly supporting their direct competitors, like Unity)

There are ulterior motives at play, to be sure. But this is also a very clever move on Epic's part. And of course, I'm certain none of the Blender users are going to be complaining.

43. Murgilod

Murgilod

I'd argue that this isn't really an "ulterior motive" since it's a pretty transparent publicity move.

TenKHoursDev, tcmeric, Ryiah and 2 others like this.
  44. RichardKain

RichardKain

Ulterior motives don't have to be secret. They're just the motive that the party in question won't openly admit to. And yes, it is fairly transparent. Anyone with a half a brain could tell immediately what they are attempting to achieve. But anyone who simply took their public statements on the matter at face value wouldn't.

By using the term "ulterior," I'm not attempting to say that anything about this situation is nefarious. Even the motives I stated are pretty innocuous as far as major corporations go. I do think it is important to look beyond the press release, however.

45. Zarconis

Zarconis

One would care if there's some sort of downside to the whole situation, Blender users will get a lot out of this eventually and Epic's store if successful will allow talented dev's to compete against quality not volume (it is after all curated).

Like all companies / pieces of software Epic have their quirks for sure, but one thing you gotta love about them is they'll always bend over backwards for any team that shows promise. One of the teams who used to frequent this forum had an Epic tech flew out to them for assistance. That's not something you see every day.!

Also, I found the thread where I asked them to open an Epic store LOL.! Don't think I was the first but they do seem to listen.

46. joshcamas

joshcamas

They didn't open an epic store because a few people wanted it, they did it because they realized they could profit insanely from it :^)

tcmeric and Mauri like this.
  47. Zarconis

Zarconis

So what you're trying to say is a large company with a pool of accessible games they can leverage would make money from selling it on their own store?

TLDR; Well duh Sherlock.! You don't do it without demand though, there's a lot of stores out there.

48. Lurking-Ninja

Lurking-Ninja

Wut?

You mistyped the 'pay others to not to sell elsewhere'.

joshcamas likes this.
  49. Zarconis

Zarconis

Oh I was just using business language, your statement loosely translates to "exclusives". :D

Billy4184 likes this.
  50. konsic

konsic

Hypothetically, can Unity recieve megagrant from Epic ?