Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Blender3d /io_scene_fbx/export_fbx.py missing/removed.

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by kividroid, Jan 9, 2019.

1. kividroid

kividroid

First of all I'm using an unsupported linux distro, no support required. I've noticed this has also been reported with Blender 2.8

ERROR: Blender could not convert the .blend to FBX file.
    Unity log prints io_scene_fbx.export_fbx module not found.

The file /scripts/addons/io_scene_fbx/export_fbx.py has been removed, see
    https://git.blender.org/gitweb/gitw...mmit/7f50cbf2b6bf0675e4a178cbb19aca90f39bd374

I'm running ArchLinux and using Blender 2.79b from their official repo which uses an updated package with the deprecated file removed.

My workaround was to grab a copy and export_fbx.py and place it in that directory and it works.

what also works is to copy&rename the export_fbx_bin.py file and use that as an alternative, however I am unaware of any unforeseen consequences using this module.

Assuming /Unity/Editor/Data/Tools/Unity-BlenderToFBX.py requires the export_fbx.py module which has been deprecated, are we likely to see a fix for this and is my workaround above suffice in the meantime? I could try making changes to Unity-BlenderToFBX.py but have ran out of time at the moment.

Thanks for taking the time to check out my issue.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    SkywardRoy, VoodaGod and CyRaid like this.
  2. CyRaid

CyRaid

Thank you, I noticed it wasn't working so I copied export_fbx_bin.py, and renamed the copy export_fbx.py and it worked. I wonder if it's a permanent change with Blender? And if so, hopefully Unity will detect to see if the newer file is there and use that. :)

kividroid likes this.
  3. VoodaGod

VoodaGod

Thanks, i saw your thread on the arch forums, and came here to say your fix works just fine for me

kividroid likes this.
  4. kividroid

kividroid

Glad it worked. Since blender 2.8 hasn't been released yet we can only assume they will have a fix ready for when it does.

5. SkywardRoy

SkywardRoy

Thank you for this, I was setting up Unity and Blender on KDE but I couldn't figure out why direct import wasn't working. I went to "[Blender install location]/2.79/scripts/addons/io_scene_fbx/" and copied and renamed "export_fbx_bin.py" to "export_fbx.py"