Search Unity

Blender

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by taumel, May 22, 2006.

1. taumel

taumel

Hi,

i've just downloaded and tried out the actual version of blender on my miniMac. Problem is that the program isn't starting at all. After doubleclicking, the icon jumps and vanishes again.

Has anyone also encountered a similar behaviour or is it working on your mac?

Thanks,

taumel

2. drJones

drJones

I'm not sure if this is it, but did you get the version that corresponds to the python version you have? (i think there's two different files for the mac)

3. Sync1B

Sync1B

Yeah there are two versions for mac, try both, one should work.

Bill

4. taumel

taumel

Hi drJones (the indy one? :O),

Well, there are two links for an older and a newer version. I wanted to try out the new version. But it seems that you are right as i've just downloaded the old one which is able to start. I haven't read anywhere in their release notes that you'll have to update pyhton to a newer version. By the way which version of python is needed then?

*update*
    Okay i understand the version numbering is for python only and not for blender itself. Confusing as it's also 2.4... :O)

Thanks,

taumel

5. drJones

drJones

As far as i know either is fine (i just went with the one that i had installed already) I'm not sure if one is better than the other, though i guess if you wish to extend it with scripting you might want the newest one. Maybe someone who knows python more could explain, but it runs great as far as i'm concerned.

lol yep ; )

6. taumel

taumel

okidoki Mr. Jones! ;O)

.:.The Fate of Atlantis.:. Still one of the best games ever...

7. Lallander

Lallander

So you got Blender working correctly?

8. taumel

taumel

Well, let's just say i got it running. If it's working i don't know as i'm confused with it at the moment...all these strange menus and obstacles...

9. socksy

socksy

10. taumel

taumel

Okay thanks, i will look into this...

Goodbye,

taumel

11. drJones

drJones

blender is VERY confusing at first. lots of non standard interface items, commands changing meaning depending on what you are using etc.. but once you get used to that, it really is a nice streamlined program.

noob to pro is great (you beat me to it socksy ; ), here's a list of some other tutorials:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Tutorial_Links_List

12. Lallander

Lallander

I went ahead and bought the Blender 2.3 Guide.
    A tad pricey I suppose, but has some really nice tutorials complete with example files. Not to mention it is a tangible way to give some money back to a really great free project.

13. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

The best manual for Blender is free and available here:
    http://www.cdschools.org/54223045235521/blank/browse.asp?A=383&BMDRN=2000&BCOB=0&C=55205

This is the most current (for version 2.41) and best written set of tutorials available for a beginning "Blenderhead". You can find thousands (no kidding) of sample files and tutorials at the main Blender forum: http://blenderartists.org/forum/

Unfortunately, the 2.3 manual (the only book on Blender ever published) is very outdated and is missing alot of really good information. You can download Blender version 2.3 at Blender.org, so what you see on the screen matches what's in the book, but you'll want to update to 2.41 as soon as you've finished the tutorials.

I've had Blender on my HD for over a year, then got serious with it a couple months ago. It takes some effort, but in about a week I was pretty comfortable with it (coming from a background with Carrara and Max). The latest version (2.41) and the upcoming version (2.42) have an impressive features list and the Blender Game Engine is a pretty decent game engine (I've created a couple sim apps with it). Models are created/imported into Blender, then game logic is created with "logic blocks" and Python. Not as easy to use or as bug free as Unity, but worth a look.