Search Unity

(Blender) Trying To Create Human Model For Android - Need Help -

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by anastasakhs1, Apr 1, 2018.

1. anastasakhs1

anastasakhs1

Hello all , I am new to blender and i need a little help, I have created a few games with unity and now i want to start making something bigger by creating my own assets!

I have a few questions about making game assets, what's the workflow you need for creating for example a human model ? what I have found so far by searching at google is

1: Make the model
    2: Sculpt
    3: Retopology
    4: UV Unwrap/Bake

Is this the correct order do i need something else ?

Also i cant find anywhere about how many (Verts , Faces , Tris) my human model should be for android game

Currently I am working on this human model and now I am trying to retopology it with subsurf and shrinkwrap hoping to get better results than the Decimate or the InstantMesh

The problems i have are
    1: Don't know how many (Verts , Faces , Tris) I should aim for android game.
    2:When I tried to retopology before with InstantMesh or with Decimate the details after bake were not good.

If someone can help me, tell me a few tips , link me a few tutorials i will appreciate it a lot, Thank you!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    BrandyStarbrite likes this.
  2. SnowInChina

SnowInChina

1. there's no magic number for this, since it depends on what your game is like, how many other assets are seen at the same time, basicly overall performance

2. try to retopo your meshes by hand, its best to learn the manual way first and then work your way to automation, since then you already know everything about the subject and can handle the problems with automation easily

3. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

Cool!
    But we need more info:

What is the specs of the android device, that you're making games for?

What type of game, are you making?

4. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

You're probably going to want to do the retopo manually. There are automated (and semi-automated) tools like ZRemesher in ZBrush or Topogun, but even they require some manual work... there's not an auto-magic button. If it's a static asset, it's not "as" important, but if you plan to animate, you want to make sure you have geometry distributed where you need it and edge loops flowing in the right direction.

I'd highly recommend just getting on YouTube and look for various tutorials, or check out some Udemy courses. Spend some hours, get yourself intimately familiar with the proces... prepare to make (and correct) mistakes, because they'll happen. I've spent hours upon hours upon hours at it and I still suck. :)

And finally... there is no perfect workflow... find the one that works for you. I'm currently working on a character that I've just started... and I haven't decided which is the most effective for me yet. I started it in four different ways:

1: Used a reference photo, traced the outline, built half the volume and mirrored, then pulled into ZBrush so I had the basic starting shape.

2: Determined my desired proportions.. just used spheres and cylinders to rough out my basic shape, chopped in half, adjusted, mirrored, pulled into ZBrush to start doing a more detailed shape.

3: Started with a single Vertex in Blender... applied a Skin modifier... extruded the vertex again and again to builder out my initial shape (again with a mirror modifier). Then into ZBrush.

4: Started just in Zbrush from the start. Used ZSpheres and roughed out my model shape and created an adaptive skin.

Now here's why I say it's important to come up with your own workflow... there are pros and cons to each:

Method 1: Gave me the basic shape to start with but took me a fair amount of time just to create the base shape. I ended up remeshing anyway into Dynamesh to give me more evenly distributed geometry to sculpt with.,

Method 2: I basically had a semi-humaniod shape. It was much faster than tracing my reference photo. I had basic proportions and it was a good start.

Method 3: Much easier to do more granular proportions so I could concentrate on arm and leg lengths, etc. I was also much more adjustable as I went along because the skin modifier was handling the geometry, I just moved vertices. But, still a fair amount of work before putting in ZBrush and the result was more naturally humanoid and less cartoony than I was shooting for. It was a lot of "stop and check"ing.

Method 4: So far my favorite because it's easy to work with ZSpheres and that whole step of the process can be done with the mouse before getting out my tablet. It also makes it quick and easy to "preview" your mesh and pose it how you want to pose it before getting started.

Method 4 so far is my favorite, but that's what works for me... You'll want to find what works for you. Also, all of the above can be accomplished in Blender alone. The Vertex + Skin modifier approach is very similar to using ZSpheres and activating dynamic subdivision in sculpting in Blender is similar (not the same) as using Dynamesh (actually it's more similar to Sculptris, but conceptually it's adjusting your mesh for detail).

anastasakhs1 likes this.
  5. anastasakhs1

anastasakhs1

SnowInChina :

Right now I am trying to retopology by hand.

BrandyStarbrite :

1: What type of game, are you making?

The game I am trying to make will be an RPG open world with instances. It will have npc's, houses that maybe you can enter inside, castles etc.. and when enemies appear they will appear in different spots by trigger, When player enter's specific's zones, Instantiate like 4-5 vs you as player and 1 more big and detailed enemy as a boss alone.

2: What is the specs of the android device, that you're making games for?

Right now I am using my Tablet Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 but soon I will buy a good android phone.
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 specs
    1280 x 800 pixels 8'0
    1.5GB Ram
    1.5GHz dual-core processor

Dustin-Horne :

After I will finish retopology from blender i will try the different methods you described and see how it will goes !

BrandyStarbrite and Dustin-Horne like this.
  6. anastasakhs1

anastasakhs1

I finished retopology but i didn't do it very good, Then I used Smart UV Project to unwrap and baked it with cycles render and the results is this

Any idea how I can fix this problem ?

7. anastasakhs1

anastasakhs1

I find out the problem , I lower the ray distance a little bit and changed the Image Texture Color to Non color Data Finally I can go to animation and then to unity !

8. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

And you'll probably be slightly disappointed with the result. :) Smart UV project is going to end up with probably some stretching and texture resolution too low where you want detail. The next step will be to mark seams and UV unwrap so it'll use your seams, minimize stretching and give you control over your islands.

anastasakhs1 likes this.