Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Blender to Unity FBX importer file scale

Discussion in 'Animation' started by kebrus, Feb 10, 2015.

1. kebrus

kebrus

Trying to use the latest unity 5 betas and this is now gone out of control, since the update to the blender 7.4 fbx binary format Unity doesn't import anything at all, so ever since i had to use the old 6.1 ASCII fbx format. Problem is, in the latest builds unity now has the File scale read attribute that imports the model at the scale of 1 when using 7.4 format but at 0.01 if you use the old 6.1 format. The file scale at 0.01 is causing all sorts of problems, character gets stuck inside the ground and it doesn't detect blender actions...

So basically i'm now stuck between two formats that don't work properly. I found a temporarily solution that is too stupid to be true... if I duplicate an older imported asset inside unity and then override it in the explorer and file scale remains at 1 and everything imports nicely if the format is 6.1...

My experiments are using mecanim, not sure if the behavior is the same using legacy

2. grant_b

grant_b

Sorry for deadposting, maybe you already sort it out by yourself, but for those chaps who run into the same problem (i'm one of them) the solution is like this:
    Just open .meta file of newly imported fbx in text editor of your choice, find the useFileScale: 1 parameter and set it to useFileScale: 0
    By the by, last versions of blender at the moment include working fbx exporter for the 7.4 binary format too.

VOTRUBEC likes this.
  3. KelDG

KelDG

Deadpost number 2 sorry, is there a better solution for this yet? Or can we change the default setting of the FBX exporter to use FileScale: 0, i don't want to keep adding in extra steps for the sake of something that should be a checkbox in the exporter.

Thanks

Kel

4. kebrus

kebrus

Not that I want to necro this but I stumbled upon this problem again. While in my initial post I thought the problem had something to do with the unity being in beta, this is no longer the case.

It's, once again, the proof that UT isn't really investing time in fixing things. This problems exists for far too long and indeed the only somewhat solution is to edit the meta file. But even if you do it the model original position and scale gets multiplied by 100. I have no idea why would they not fix it but seeing how they even close some issues in the tracker I guess they really like to have design flaws in the software.

PS: this might be in the wrong section, since this doesn't only happen for animation, it happens for every model in fbx binary format