Search Unity

Blender to Mecanim (odd mesh distortion problem)

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Taryndactyl, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Taryndactyl

Taryndactyl

This is the first time I've been able to export from Blender and Unity accepts the number of bones my rig uses so that's progress but now I'm getting a very strange error I haven't seen on the forum before.

In the scene view everything appears to be just perfect.
    Inside the Avatar/Rig setup there is a bit of bone misplacement that I'd love to solve but that's not the main problem (unless that is the source of both problems).
    In play mode is where things really get weird.

Everything is setup correctly under the Mapping section of the Avatar, so there are no problems with incorrect bones being assigned.
    Below I have attached a picture of the three views I mentioned before.

If any more information is needed to resolve this I will provide whatever you need.
    Thanks a bunch in advance!

$MeshDistortion.png

2. tpennetta

tpennetta

Hi Taryndactyl,

One thing that may be an issue here is that in Blender when setting up your bones, the axes (roll) are different than default. It looks to be a possible issue because of the "twisting" of your game bones. You should check to make sure the bone directions, rotations, etc are all set correctly on your model you are exporting before import to Unity. You can see information on this here:

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.4/Manual/Rigging/Armatures/Editing/Properties

Also, ensure all of your transformation are applied in Object mode (Control-A).

3. Pixel-Widget

Pixel-Widget

Hey, I know this question is quite old, but I'm currently running into pretty much the same issue you are having. My character's arms become overly distorted when using mecanim, but is fine in Blender. I've looked into the bone roll but didn't see an issue. Just wondering if you found a solution, or if anyone else might know what is going on.

I'm using rigify for the rig if that changes anything.

Thanks!