Search Unity

Blender Modules not importing to Unity

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by MW_Industries, May 14, 2018.

1. MW_Industries

MW_Industries

Hello, my name is Jamal and I'm fairly new to Unity and Blender, however, I've known about them for years. Anyhow, I've started to pick it up over the past few months and I notice something about importing blender projects into unity. Whenever I import my file "cell-shading", unity doesn't include the shading I've done with it in Blender. Is there any method of working around this?

asrk.png asfg.png

2. Flavelius

Flavelius

The shader nodes in Blender are Blender specific. When unity imports a .blend file, it internally converts it into fbx and imports that. So, most of the things fbx supports and blender supports exporting will be retained, everything else is either 'baked' or discarded. With the new principal shader in Blender (not sure if it's already available) you atleast can recreate the look in unity using the standard shader. For everything else you'd have to write a shader yourself or use a shader editor (like shader forge, amplify shader or the unity native one for the new render pipelines).

MW_Industries likes this.
  3. MW_Industries

MW_Industries

Thanks. This is going to make designing games a bit harder than I originally thought. I'm finally starting to get the hang of coding so I figure I would try 3d modeling. I've been a pixel artist for the longest of time so I figure I try something new.

Just another question: Will any textures I create for an object in Blender be able to transport to Unity?

I've recently decided to use UV Unwrapping to apply some textures. Will I be able to upload these textures onto my models in Unity?

4. BIG-BUG

BIG-BUG

Yes, usually you would use UV mapping for texturing in games (independent of 3d tool or game engine).

I'm sure there is an option to bake out your textures in blender so you can assign them in Unity.
    Also in the Asset Store there are Unity specific tools to generate textures like Shader Forge or Substance Designer.

There are plenty of tutorials out there which cover this topic... But you have to google those by yourself ;-)

5. kburkhart84

kburkhart84

If you are using Blender's generated textures, they won't directly work outside of Blender. As said above, there is functionality to bake textures onto UVs, and then you could save those textures. But it is probably easier to paint textures instead.

Once you get UVs going, you can paint textures directly in Blender. In fact, you can use generated textures as part of your brushes to paint with. Once done painting, you can save the texture, which can then be loaded into Unity just fine.

A good option(unless you get good with painting textures in Blender) would be to get something like Substance Painter. There is a massive ecosystem of textures, tools, and the like built around the Substance suite. And Painter lets you paint directly on the model(similar but much better than Blender's texture paint tools). And you can easily use brushes that paint multiple channels of textures all in one stroke, so you can make a brush paint both Albedo(basically color in PBR) and roughness, all in the same strokes.

6. MW_Industries

MW_Industries

Thanks guys. After doing some research, I came up with a plan of learning how to create uv maps in Blender and then paint onto them in Blender and export the painted image. Once I have the UV Map Image, I can put this onto a material and then hopefully it will render properly onto the mesh I import into Unity.