Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Blender, junk objects

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by Dafu, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Dafu

Dafu

I'm new to Blender, so sometimes when I model things I get a little sloppy, make mistakes, do a lot of deletion and generally screwing up my objects. As I work on my modelling in this fashion blender stores all sorts of junk in its object hierarchy that I can't see in my scene, and hence can't figure out how to delete. If I press SHIFT-F3 (or was it SHIFT-F4) I can see all the different objects in my scene, but I can't delete them from there either. The end result is that when I finally import the object into Unity, Unity imports all the junk as well, when all I want is my final mesh.

So does anyone know how to manage/clean up junk objects in Blender before importing into Unity?

2. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

I like using the Outliner view. Split your main view and stick it on the side. Then if you see a weird graph thing with boxes, select View -> Show Outliner. Then you get a proper list view where you can select objects. Once you select them, move your cursor over to the scene view to delete them as normal.

(Probably other ways to do all this :) )

-Jon

Attached Files:

3. Dafu

Dafu

Ah yes I tried out Outliner too, as well as OOPS view. I can see my junk in there, and I can select it, but there are still things I can't always delete... For example the other day I was making 3D letters from fronts, after extruding them I have some left over splines in the hierarchy and couldn't delete those, even using the method you describe. Do you ever get objects in your hierachy that you just can't bloody delete?:)

4. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Did you try highlighting the object in the Outliner and then pressing "X"? That might work.

5. Dafu

Dafu

Yeah I tried that, didn't work, I'll attach my blender file to this thread when I get home tonight. I'm not crazy!

6. Snoodleberg

Snoodleberg

bigkahuna is right, you must select the object you want to delete in the outliner, then it "x'. But remember to have the cursor in the 3d window when you hit x ;)

7. Dafu

Dafu

Ack sorry it took me so long to post this file. Here is my blender project, notice that in the Outliner view I can see the objects Cube, and Font, but I can't erase them, not even by selecting them in Outliner and pressing X in the view. I can erase the Letter object in this fashion however, but I want to keep that one!

Can someone load up this project in their Blender and see if they can figure out how to delete the Cube and Font objects?

Attached Files:

8. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

Ahh, that's quite a UI glitch. If you don't have the layer an object is in turned on you can't delete it. I dunno what Blender should be doing, but there has to be something better than this. You can delete them if you switch to the upper-left layer. (Layer 1 I think it's called)

Cheers,
    -Jon

Attached Files:

9. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Well, except that's desirable behavior sometimes, to put stuff on layers that you don't want to accidentally delete. If you hit ` (backtick), that selects all layers, so then you can delete anything, anytime.

--Eric

10. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

I never said it _should_ delete them, but it's frustrating when you don't get any feedback to what's going on. That's all I'm saying.

-Jon

11. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

That's true enough. Hence this topic. :)

--Eric

12. Dafu

Dafu

Ah ha! That worked indeed. Thank you very much. I agree there should be some sort of pop up or visual notification. This has been a little frustrating!

13. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

On the PC, you can check the "terminal console" for error messages (similar to how Unity does things), but on a Mac, the terminal isn't displayed by default (must be a way to view it, I just haven't figured it out yet).