Search Unity

Blender import issue

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by StefanB95, Nov 25, 2011.

1. StefanB95

StefanB95

When i import 3ds file that i exportet from blender in unity in got smoothed and it loses some faces why? I dont know how to repair it i got the issue with few models

2. Wienermelon

Wienermelon

Hey, I had both of these problems starting out and I will try to explain the solutions the best I can.

The smoothness part is pretty easy to solve. When you first import your mesh, it should come up in the inspector panel. If you look in there, you should find the Normals and Tangents section. Click Normals and change it from import to calculate and that should solve why it looks funny. At least it does for me.

The missing faces is really annoying. Usually it's because you have this thing that I call Double Faces/Edges. This is when you have have a face or edge inside of a mesh. Here is an example.

You have to rectangles in Blender.
    ____ ____
    I___I I___I

Join them into one rectangle by making faces in the middle like this.

Those two edges inside show the ends of the two old rectangles. They are now inside our new big one. This is the cause of your missing faces. It is difficult to work around but possible. I recommend always checking in Face select mode before importing and making sure you don't have any "Double Faces".

I hope this helped, because it really drove me nuts too.
    Good Luck!

3. StefanB95

StefanB95

Thanks alote it worked