Search Unity

Blender Hair Export To Unity

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by Grenad, May 5, 2011.

1. Grenad

Grenad

Just like many people who use blender and unity together, i grew increasingly frustrated at the incapability of exporting hair particles to unity. Well, I believe i just found a decent workaround that should work.

1)Add hair particles onto an object and edit them to your liking
    2)Go to the properties panel of the object with hair and click the "Convert" button to change the particles to mesh
    3)In object mode, select the hair particles that are now mesh and hit alt+c to convert and select "Curve from mesh/text," which will convert the hair particles to curves WARNING: If you have a large amount of hair, converting them all at once may crash blender. If you have over 500 hairs i suggest using the box select tool to convert them to curves only a portion at a time.
    4)In the "Object Data" panel in the properties menu, go to the "Shape" panel and then go to the "Fill" section. Deselect the front and back toggles
    5)Then, in the same section in the properties menu, go to the "Geometry" panel and then the "Bevel" selection. Edit the depth and resolution to your liking to make the hairs solid and round
    6)With the hair selected, hit alt+c again and this time click "Mesh from curve/meta/surf/text" to make the hair a mesh! Now you can export it and use it in unity!

I believe this will work. I came up with this idea while fooling around with blender. I assumed this should work after i turned the hairs into solid mesh but i never actually exported it into unity. Let me know how this works for everyone!!!

2. Jessy

Jessy

Why did you not export it?

3. Grenad

Grenad

I did not export it because I had no need for that model in unity. I was just messing around with blender to see if i could resolve this common issue.

4. RealSoftGames

RealSoftGames

any answers if this worked?

5. Dantus

Dantus

You can only import meshes from Blender to Unity. Particles and the like need to be set up in Unity.

6. RealSoftGames

RealSoftGames

Done a little research and found hair factory in blender

7. LuRe_

LuRe_

I works but only to crash unity

8. christougher

christougher

I got this to work... but the mesh is 236k tris... I'm not too good at blender but I'm wondering if I can combine and smooth this sucker out...

9. _GimbalLock_

_GimbalLock_

Another option would be to use transparency on polygons to reproduce you existing work with the particles. Over 200k polygons for hair is a steep price tag.

10. olliejordan23

olliejordan23

This can be overcome with scripting changes to unity and blender but why? there are other easier ways around this problem...but all of this is almost for nothing right now particle hair is tremendously taxing on unity. If that's the level of detail you're looking for something like unreal or cry engine have no problem importing hair from blender.

11. BIO_K

BIO_K

Well you have to apply a bone and parent it! I tried it. And in unity her hair mesh kept floating like on the side of her head the whole time... In blender it knew where to be but in unity it was animating just not at the right place! why is that? PLEASE HELP! I am starting to hate unity for it is uncapable!

12. LoyalteesPlayground

LoyalteesPlayground

This Just works with hair particles or i can do with fire particles, too, for example

13. rofernandez_1

rofernandez_1

It weights an insane amount of GB, unity crashed and spatial.io crashed

Oak_360 likes this.
  14. Oak_360

Oak_360

did you find a work around