Search Unity

Blender files look wrong in Unity

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by Curious37owl, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Curious37owl

Curious37owl

Screenshot (1).png Screenshot (2).png I am playing around with some low poly models. I made some trees and put them in Unity, they look fine. Then made a wolf and a human, they look great in Blender but after importing into Unity they look really odd. Colors are off and half the panels don't load.o_O The only thing that I know was done differently between the good and bad models is that the ones not loading properly utilized a mirror effect. Any ideas on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.:D

Above is an image of the Wolf in Blender and another of it in Unity.

2. mariusz

mariusz

reverse normals in Blender and export again....

3. Curious37owl

Curious37owl

Thank you very much, much better now.:)

4. Curious37owl

Curious37owl

Now the shape looks good but colors aren't coming through.:p I'm very new to all of this so I'm sure its a simple mistake. Here are pics of what's happening now.o_O Screenshot (4).png Screenshot (3).png

5. kburkhart84

kburkhart84

Going by what I saw on your screenshots, you appear to have no textures and be using multiple materials in Blender. If you totally duplicate that setup in Unity it could somewhat work, but what you really want to do is make your models with a single material and use a texture to designate colors. In general, anything you do with Blender's materials won't directly work in Unity(among other many Blender things).

TaleOf4Gamers likes this.
  6. Pengocat

Pengocat

... that model looks like it is painted with vertex paint. If that is the case then make sure the Unity Shader supports vertex paint.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
  7. kburkhart84

kburkhart84

I can tell you for sure that materials do not export just fine. Unity has no idea about all the settings in the materials dialog, and materials could use textures that don't exist outside of Blender, which of course don't get exported. Last I checked, the diffuse color got exported, but I think that was literally all that got exported.

But you are right about the vertex colors. If vertex colors are being used, a different shader is needed, as the PBR(Standard) and most of the other shaders don't support vertex colors.

As a general rule, I count on very little of anything being correctly transfered from Blender to Unity. You can count on the geometry, and modifiers being applied(though maybe not how you expect), and bone-based animation, and shape keys, and really, that's all I ever count on. I never attempt to use the material colors or anything like that because I just color my textures externally(typically Substance Painter) so my materials are covered.

8. Pengocat

Pengocat

You are right it does not work the way I expected out of the box. My workflow also includes Substance and therefore I forgot how it works in Unity without it.