Search Unity

Blender files in Unity are not working anymore

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Chinafreak, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Chinafreak

Chinafreak

Hello guys,

I've there a problem that the blender files are not readable anymore at Unity. This problem didn't appear before and I can't find the reason why the file isn't working anymore. I tried to reinstall Unity and Blender but its still not working.

On this screenshot, you can see that the blender file "mango" isn't showing preview model

it was showing before the preview model but since I wanted to edit the file from blender, then Unity said that the file could not be "found", but the file still exsits?
    The other model are showing preview, but when I'm editing one of those model either from Blender or from Unity (from Inspector) then Unity is freezing (and I can't click anything anymore) and when I'm reopening the project, then the preview model isn't visible anymore.

Also the inspector settings is still there for blender files:

When I changed something from settings and pressing on "Apply"-Button then Unity is freezing, like I said.

This problem also appear too if I just create a simple box in Blender and saving in Unity Project.

I hope someone can help me!

I'm using Unity 5.5.2f1

Thank you,

- Chinafreak

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  2. Vectorbox

Vectorbox

I notice that the icon(s) in the import settings pane refer to a 'document' as opposed to the model itself. Are you exporting in fbx format ?

To eliminate a problem with your Blender export settings, try the cube I've just created in Blender. It's been tested in Unity 5.5.2f1 ...

Blender Cube

Let me know the result

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  3. Chinafreak

Chinafreak

.fbx is working fine. Thats not the problem. But I was asking for .blend files, because its a lot easier to save 3D model instead to export it directly. There must be a reason why this isn't working anymore.
    But thank you so much for your answer!

4. Vectorbox

Vectorbox

Here's the blend file (also tested in Unity 5.5.2 f1)...

CubeBlendFile

5. Chinafreak

Chinafreak

@Songroom hmm, funny. Your files is working. How I can refresh .blend files from Unity? Would removing meta files help me?

6. Vectorbox

Vectorbox

Unity will recreate deleted metafiles so you could try it out, but as my blend file imports correctly the problem seems to originate from Blender. It seems to me that there is a problem with the Blender file format.

To confirm this can you upload (post a link) to one of your blend files ?.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  7. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

What versions of Blender are you each using?

8. Vectorbox

Vectorbox

I'm using 2.78c (x64), but I've never had a problem with the previous verisons.

Dustin-Horne likes this.
  9. JimmyC63

JimmyC63

I was having a similar problem with blend files to Unity, same version as you Chinafreak. I had reinstalled blender and Unity, but I forgot to use the 'Run as Admin', and when I did that, it all worked fine with icons and all.

I was just getting a blank white document icon in Unity before that, but now I get the correct icon and the Materials too.

Hope that helps you too.

10. Chinafreak

Chinafreak

Huge thank you @JimmyC63! That worked!
    And also sorry for late answer! :)

11. korypse

korypse

I had the same problem when I changed my computer. For blender resources to work you MUST REINSTALL BLENDER. Then reimport the resources (right click on asset > import all).

dolanmiu and jethrogillgren like this.
  12. shafayat18

shafayat18

the same issues i was face.
    this video help you to solve the issue :

sntilt likes this.
  13. unity_AHANAFRASHID

unity_AHANAFRASHID

hello sir , where is the cube

14. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Here's my fix for this: the problem I had was Unity began importing Camera and Light objects whereas in the past 8 years it had not done so. This threw off 100% of my prefabs since I usually left the default light and camera in the blender scene.

Rather then rebuilding everything or editing every single Blender file, I went and tweaked the Python import script to NOT import the cameras and lights, which imposes a future requirement on me for all my projects needing such a hack to the import script. Luckily it is easy.

Blender3D import FBX:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/from-blender-to-unity-problem.1073381/#post-6925811

The script that Unity uses:

./Hub/Editor/2020.2.1f1/Unity.app/Contents/Tools/Unity-BlenderToFBX.py

More on fixing it:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/all-my-mesh-folder-content-is-gone.1102144/#post-7094962

RPGia and reinfeldx like this.
  15. Eristen

Eristen

I'll just post here to inform other lost souls like me that you can't actually use .blend file if you don't have Blender installed on the PC. this might be obvious to some but not to me...

Lida_GH_D likes this.
  16. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Technically this requirement has always been in the documentation, if one were so bold as to look there:

https://docs.unity3d.com/560/Documentation/Manual/HOWTO-ImportObjectBlender.html

There are several other details that are critical to interoperation, so it might behoove a Blender/Unity user to at least be passingly familiar with them.

Screen Shot 2021-08-29 at 9.47.34 AM.png

17. LukeSteelman

LukeSteelman

So my school curriculum has us downloading assets that are already .blend files. They are not showing icons and I cannot drag and drop into the scene. Are you saying that we still have to have the Blender app in order to use these files even if we aren't really using the Blender app for anything?

18. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Yes. It's right there in the Unity docs.

https://docs.unity3d.com/560/Documentation/Manual/HOWTO-ImportObjectBlender.html

I quote from the very first line of the above page,

"Unity natively imports Blender files. This works under the hood by using the Blender FBX exporter."

19. LukeSteelman

LukeSteelman

20. LukeSteelman

LukeSteelman

I don't understand. I downloaded the assets from my school's curriculum. It just said click on this link and the Unity editor popped up. It said check all boxes and click import. I don't have Blender on my computer. The assets are showing up in Unity as a sheet of paper. Our lesson says to add assets to the scene just drag and drop. It won't let me. What exactly do you think I need to do to get these files to work? I'm a high school student.

21. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

This is your problem:

Close Unity, install Blender.

Once that is done, doubleclick on a blender file. Did it open okay?

Now, open Unity.

22. Eristen

Eristen

You are linking legacy documentation. I immediately discard these links since they are outdated. It shouldn't be expected of me to search every last corner of the web to find such a trivial info. Try and find an up to date documentation that allows you to be a snob.

23. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Why would you discard this link? The documented behavior has not changed for over a decade.

If I showed you an Egyptian hieroglyphic explaining that 2+2=4 would you tell me that is "legacy documentation" and then "immediately discard the link?"

Best of luck in your gamedev!

Eristen likes this.
  24. Eristen

Eristen

The analogy fails since the context is not there. It's the 21's century. We are game devs, not archaeologists. I need to get the information I need ASAP, not dig it out from legacy documentation, which is why I posted the information here so that other game devs don't have to look into ancient scrolls but in one of the top links on google search results.

Anyway, your info was useful too, you just didn't have to make it sound like I didn't put any effort into looking for it.

Kurt-Dekker likes this.
  25. carlosmejia083

carlosmejia083

2022 update: So I had this issue clonning my game repository on another comuputer. I installed Blender, opened the files and all the mentioned stuff and nothing worked. The solution for me was to delete the .meta files of the .blend files. By that moment Unity just reimported the issued files and everything went as expected

jrhodnik likes this.
  26. LookDev

LookDev

All you need is to install the latest version of the blender .blend file support when you have blender installed in your system