Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Blender FBX Models showing up black in the Unity Editor?

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by Mwester, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Mwester

Mwester

Hello,
    I have recently started getting back into Unity and Blender, and to start things off, I made this simple character, and shortly after created the rig for him within Blender using Rigify on Legacy Mode. Then, I decided to go ahead and create a basic one-color material in Blender for my character. So far so good. However, after exporting as an FBX file, and importing to Unity, the character shows up black (not at all the color I made/assigned in Blender). So, thinking maybe the material from Blender was interfering with Unity's material sources, I removed it in Blender, and re-exported. No change. Here is a screenshot up to this point:
    Capture.PNG error1.PNG
    So, after searching around the Forums page, I found a couple of similar (not quite the same) problems, talking about a few solutions. That got me to thinking that maybe my problem is in the normals. So, going back to Blender, I flipped all the normals on my character, and then re-exported, and it worked!.....Except in didn't. It more or less fixed the problem of the material not showing up, but now I have the problem of the normals being flipped, and totally invisible from the outside of the character. At this point, I am at a loss. Both Unity and Blender have changed a lot in the last couple of years, and I am unsure of how to resolve this issue. Help is greatly appreciated! Here is a screenshot: error2.PNG error3.PNG
    NOTE: In the last screenshot, I am using the test material as seen above, the default settings and color all selected.

2. EiknarF

EiknarF

the normals were flipped because the scale is negative(can see -40 in the unity inspector), you need to get scale in the positive range & reflip the normals of the mesh.

BrandyStarbrite likes this.
  3. ItsVertex

ItsVertex

How do I do that?

4. EiknarF

EiknarF

apply scale in blender is probably the best way