Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Blender fbx exporter final

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by GusM, Aug 24, 2007.

1. GusM

GusM

2. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

That is certainly good news! Does anyone have a sample .blend with skeleton animation I can give a try?

3. drJones

drJones

awesome news - i'm going to try whipping something up over the weekend to test out.

woohoo!!!

4. nickavv

nickavv

How do I install the plugin? :?:

5. GusM

GusM

6. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

AWESOME!!!

7. Samantha

Samantha

Gus, would you mind pointing everyone to some resources for making animations in Blender? I have been trying to get this exporter to work, but I must be doing something wrong. I doubt I am the only person who is confused by the process.

8. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

9. islanddreamer

islanddreamer

That's a great tutorial. I wish more applications featured beginning to end documents like this one!

10. GusM

GusM

11. drJones

drJones

12. eddie_y

eddie_y

Also, in case anyone doesn't know, there's an entire book out on character animation in Blender.

It's called "Introducing Character Animation with Blender" (ISBN #0470102608)

It seems to be getting pretty good ratings (4+ stars) on Amazon after 15 reviews.) I actually have it, but haven't run through it yet. Looks like now may be the time! :)

-Eddie

13. AaronC

AaronC

Gus M your animals are fantastic!
    AC

14. louis

louis

bigkahuna
    Targos
    Agreed and ditto.

Superb all round - and a great thread re. links etc.

cheers

15. GusM

GusM

Thank you very much ;)

16. nickavv

nickavv

I still can't install it. ;__; I have no scripts folder, and the blender scripts window is just a big blank panel.

17. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Create a new sub-folder in the folder that Blender resides in. Mine is /applications/Blender_2.44/Scripts

Then open Blender and right click on the bottom edge of the top menu.

Attached Files:

18. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Left click on the folder icon next to the "Python" path setting. This will open a file load window. Use this to find the /Scripts folder on your hard drive.

Attached Files:

19. nickavv

nickavv

God I'm an idiot. ._. Thanks again! :D

20. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Left click on the file icon to set the scripts path. At this point these settings only effect the blender project we are currently working on, soooo....

Attached Files:

21. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Click on this to save this as your default Scripts folder settings. Be careful that you do this on an empty project because it will re-set all your settings!

Attached Files:

22. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

No problem. This is a -very- common issue for new Blender users. I decided that it's worthwhile posting the pics in case anyone else runs into the same issue.

23. nickavv

nickavv

Hmm, everytime I export something with this, a part of the mesh gets stretched off into infinity. The animation works, but the model is destroyed.

24. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

That's weird. Did you try exporting a simple object first? I'd guess the next step is to let Cambo on the Blender Artists forums know about this...

25. GusM

GusM

Strange, it works very well here. Are you using any special setup with your models? Are you sure you have all the points in your meshes asigned to any bone? Maybe you can post a preview.

26. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Please make a small sample file and post it on the blender thread so that ideas man can take a look at the issue.

27. polytropoi

polytropoi

Envelopes are handy but don't seem to export, I think you've got to "bake" the envelopes into vertex weight maps, as referred to at the foot of this page:
    So an envelope-bound animation can look right in Blender, but if the weight maps are wrong or non-existent it won't export properly. Parenting mesh to armature and manually weight-painting is the "old way", as opposed to using envelopes and the modifier stack, but it looks like for fbx export you've got to delete the modifier and manually parent mesh to armature as indicated above - worked for me.

You may have to tweak the weight maps with some touch-up painting after this, since the envelopes may not translate exactly to weight maps, but starting with envelopes is still a good shortcut.

28. polytropoi

polytropoi

Also note that vertex animation (aka Shape Keys or RVKs in Blender) are not yet supported in the exporter. Which would be nice for facial animation. Not that I'm complaining - too much fun we are having!

29. GusM

GusM

This has been allready worked out, I think everybody got it working just right now.

It is really a pleasure to count with this combo, Blender+Unity=rocks ;)

30. bigkahuna

bigkahuna