Search Unity

1. Unity 2018.3 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We've updated our Terms of Service. Please read our blog post from Unity CTO and Co-Founder Joachim Ante here
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to provide direct feedback to the Unity team? Join the Unity Advisory Panel.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice

Blender - FBX Export Settings

Discussion in 'External Tools' started by MichaelJT, Apr 12, 2017.

?

Did you find this helpful?

1. Yes

91.7%
  2. No

8.3%
  1. MichaelJT

MichaelJT

Edit: Fixed missing image

I'm well aware that you can simply use the FBX Exporter in Unity to do this, however I thought I'd share the settings I've been using to successfully get models from Blender to Unity as I know many people have problems with this.

I have this specifically set up to be used only with selected objects because I use a lot of objects and non-deform bones as IK targets and helpers for rigging armatures.

These settings result in a scale of 1 and no rotations or scaling on objects.

If this doesn't work for you I'm not sure why.

You'll find this panel in the Export FBX setting.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  2. Keywise

Keywise

Thank you! This was very helpful.

3. Kerff_CGartist

Kerff_CGartist

Been looking for this...

4. Project-Mysh

Project-Mysh

Well, I would recomend to check "Tangent space" on the geometry panel even if tangent space from blender and unity are the same (remember to triangulate your mesh before exports). This solves a lot of problems with workflows that involve more than Blender, like baking tools.
    Even is faster for Unity to import tangents than calculating them.

MichaelJT likes this.
  5. IamKayrox

IamKayrox

Using this I still having rotation issues

6. Volts

Volts

I works for me if I apply rotation and scale to everything before the export. Critical steps for me are to do this and to enable the "!EXPERIMENTAL! Apply Transform" option.

7. sablezubaja

sablezubaja

Hello, could you, please, explain the difference between "Main" and "Geometries" exporting options categories?

8. DimitriX89

DimitriX89

Main parameters apply to everything in the scene, Geometries - to polygonal meshes only

9. verybinary

verybinary

I currently save my .blend files inside my assets folder, and Unity seems to know exactly what to do with them. I am also able to edit these models and save with Unity knowing how to work with the changes.
    What benefits are there to exporting to fbx first?

10. DimitriX89

DimitriX89

@verybinary Smaller project size I guess. No real nessessity unless you're working in a team using GitHub, and not all team members have Blender.

verybinary likes this.
  11. verybinary

verybinary

Thank you. I didn't know if there was a difference within the engine for the two or not.

12. halley

halley

One Blend file can contain many many many different models. A character and all their clothes and weapons, for example. Wall parts and floor sections which you want to mix-and-match in your dungeon algorithm. A sample room with a character to judge the furniture scale. But you want separate FBX files for each specific controllable thing to import into Unity.

13. halley

halley

Once you have a group of settings you like, you should define them as a Preset. That's what the [+] button next to "Operator Presets" will do for you. Unfortunately, each existing blend file has its own presets. Fortunately, you can set up your favorite presets and include them in the default blend file so all new blend files you create will start with all these preferred settings.

14. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

Unfortunately, checking "Apply Transform" messes up Unity's built-in Cloth weight paint tools:

In that screenshot, the 3d model is very tiny (the one with yellow outline) since I had to zoom the scene view out a lot. For some reason the cloth paint tools project the cape of my 3d model really really big (and inverts it upside down).

I got around all of this by exporting to Version "FBX 6.1 ASCII" instead of the default "FBX 7.4 Binary".

15. verybinary

verybinary

So... Have you a .blend with an entire dungeon setup or clothing sets or whatever, and make prefab from pieces of them to mix and match?

16. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

He did say you'll want to export them each into their own fbx files. One disadvantage to having one big file that contains many objects inside is that, the moment you need to go back and edit one mesh inside that blend file, Unity has to reimport all of it, since it's all in one file. That really makes the reimporting time longer than it needs to. Same thing with a blend file that has many animations inside it. You edit one animation, Unity is forced to reimport everything in that blend file, even if the others weren't changed.

17. halley

halley

This is true, but having worked with Blender for many years, inside its Open Source code and also as a modeling user, I really really don't like to assume that any other app should try to import the file themselves. Even if Unity is launching Blender and asking Blender to export to FBX, it's expecting too much to assume I can tell Unity exactly how each FBX should be exported with all the settings available.

I would much rather take a big old gnarly composite file such as one blend with a complete house or a complete character with an extensive wardrobe, and keep it OUT of the Assets folder. I can then decide manually which pieces get exported as separate FBX files, and then put those FBX files into Unity's clutches within the Assets tree. Maybe the house is made in Blender with 50 pieces, and I export them room by room into 4 FBX files. Maybe the dummy character is wearing all his clothes and holding several kinds of weapons.

This goes for other big old gnarly composite or specialty files which I don't expect Unity to support directly, or the way I want them supported. Maybe I got some ALOS digital geography files and I need a special tool to export those to PNGs as height maps I can use in terrain building. Maybe I have a bunch of hundred-layer SVGs that I haven't rendered or imported into Spine yet, to be able to animate them. Maybe I have photographs which need to be processed by other tools before they come out as height maps. To me, Blender files are not for Unity directly, but Blender has a nice little Export to FBX capability of its own which exports a specific set of blender objects, and has lots of options I want to tweak each time as appropriate.

That doesn't mean I don't version-control the big gnarly files, by the way, I just put them in a folder inside the project but outside the Assets folder.

18. Necronomicron

Necronomicron

Forward must be Z, not -Z.