Search Unity

[Blender] Emit light from a object.

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by TheFabiocool, Jun 17, 2015.

1. TheFabiocool

TheFabiocool

Hello. So, I'm trying to create a lightsaber kind of weapon in Blender, I would like that its "cutting part" to emit some blue light, how could I do this? I've been trying alot of stuff, but nothing seems to work. Tried to use emit in Blender and Indirect Lightning, but when I import to Unity nothing happens, what about in unity, is there someway I can choose the "cutting part" of the object and make it emit light? Thank you very much, if you need any more info please do tell me.

2. Mauri

Mauri

Shaders from Blender or any other Modelling App won't work inside Unity, because they're completely different.

You could use the Standard Shader from Unity instead. Play with the Emissive slot (to make the emitting bit bright) and attach a point light onto your weapon (non-static Geometry don't take effect on Global Illumination, sadly). To make your stick glow, attach the Bloom Image Effect onto your camera.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  3. kburkhart84

kburkhart84

Mauri has it right. And if you are using Deferred rendering on PC, you could possibly(as in most likely, but possibly not) afford to have a few lights in a line instead of just the one light, though each one would have to be weaker depending on how many you have. And yes, the material would be set on emit. But you can use the new(5.1) HDR coloring for that setting, making it easy to create light that is over-bright, and creates that bloom glow effect if you have that effect on the camera.

Mauri and theANMATOR2b like this.