Search Unity

Blender could not be launched.

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by seanNovak, Jan 22, 2019.

1. seanNovak

seanNovak

Hi All,

When I open an existing project, or edit any .blend file within my project, Unity no longer imports .blend files. It errors out with the below error message.

Blender could not be launched.
    Make sure that Blender is installed correctly and in your PATH.

I have made sure that "/Applications/Blender/blender.app/Contents/MacOS" is in my system PATH, so that when I simply type "blender" in terminal, it launches blender.

I only have 2.79b installed.

Any ideas?

2. seanNovak

seanNovak

3. LianJu180

LianJu180

I have the same issue on linux manjaro, tried the workaround in the link, but it didn't work for me.
    Did it work for you? Have you found another solution?

4. Chuck_S

Chuck_S

Just resolved this issue and this was one of the top search results when I was trying to find an answer - for me the solution was to right-click the Assets folder in the Project explorer and "Reimport All".

You of course have to have Blender installed correctly first! You should be able to type
    blender
    from the command line after logging out and logging back in (i.e., no intermediate commands run). Easy steps to do that are:

1. Uninstall any other versions of Blender you're using with
      sudo apt remove blender
      or
      sudo snap remove blender
    2. Download the Blender tar file from the Blender website.
    3. Extract the archive (I'm assuming to
      ~/Downloads/blender
      ) and put it in opt:
      1. sudo mkdir /opt/blender
      2. sudo cp -r ~/Downloads/blender /opt/blender
    4. Make a *SYMBOLIC LINK* for your blender file:
      1. sudo ln -s /opt/blender/blender /usr/local/bin/blender
      2. NOTE: If you fail to use the -s option when making the link then you will make a HARD link and get the following error when you try to start blender:
        1. Fatal Python error: Py_Initialize: unable to load the file system codec
          File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/encodings/__init__.py", line 123
          raise CodecRegistryError,\
          ^
          SyntaxError: invalid syntax
          Illegal instruction: 4
    5. At this point you should be able to start Blender from the command line.
    6. Make a *SYMBOLIC LINK* for your blender.desktop file to be able to associate files with Blender:
      1. sudo ln -s /opt/blender/blender.desktop /usr/share/applications/blender.desktop
    And again, once you've got Blender installed (correctly! lol) then, if you're still having issues with Unity stating "Blender could not be launched" then "Reimport All" in the Assets folder and you should be good to go after that!

5. cxode

cxode

Thank you very much @Chuck_S , reimport all fixed the issue for me :)

6. halley

halley

Or, here's a thought, keep blender files out of Assets/ and do all the exporting yourself so you have a modicum of control over the import process.