Search Unity

Blender: Can you unwrap a plane?

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by ChoicePath2, Nov 6, 2018.

1. ChoicePath2

ChoicePath2

Hello.

In blender, I have made a plane. I want to texture it. So, I go to edit mode and use unwrap however, it gives a message that the object has a non-uniform scale, unwrap will work on the non-scaled version on the mesh. Is there any way to fix this, or are there any other ways to texture a plane?

Thanks.

2. kburkhart84

kburkhart84

This issue is because you are working with a scaled mesh, not because it is a plane. I'm assuming that you scaled the plane in object mode. When you do that, the mesh itself isn't actually scaled, rather the object instance that is using it. The warning is because it is letting you know that you are going to be doing the UV mapping on the original mesh, not the scaled version.

The way to correct this, especially if the scaled version is the "real" one that you actually want in the end product, is to apply the scale(ctrl-a in object mode). This will make the scaling apply to the actual mesh data instead of just that object using the mesh data. The other thing to avoid this issue is to go into edit mode and do the scaling there, directly on the mesh itself, instead of in object mode. This would keep the object itself at a 1,1,1 scale, while making the mesh itself be a different size.

I would add, if the plane is only that, and the only thing going on to the texture UV map, I would recommend viewing the plane head-on(top view if you haven't rotated it), and unwrapping with(project from view(bounds)), which would result in the whole plane being over the whole UV map.