Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Blender Anime Base Meshes

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by Boigamer225, Dec 25, 2020.

?

Should I Model the Base Mesh, or Find One Online?

1. Make the Base Mesh Myself

66.7%
  2. Find One Online

33.3%
  1. Boigamer225

Boigamer225

Hi. So, I'm planning on making a 3d game soon, and I want to find an anime base mesh for my characters. The question I have though is this: Would it be better to find a base mesh online, or model it myself? Thanks.

2. kdgalla

kdgalla

That would depend on how well you can model yourself vs whether you can find a model that suits your needs.

3. Boigamer225

Boigamer225

Honestly, I'm a complete noob to 3d modeling, but I'm willing to learn. Also, the models that I find are... Well... the characters that I'm making don't have such... Exaggerated body proportions ^ ^; (but I guess that's what you get for searching "anime" base meshes, eh?

4. kdgalla

kdgalla

The Unity Asset Store doesn't have very many "base meshes" because the Asset Store focuses on finished Assets that are already game-ready. There are more on sites like artstation.com and sketchfab.com, but (as you've found out) the big problem with using stock assets is that you're limited to what you can find.
    For anime. try looking for "cartoon" base mesh too.

Boigamer225 likes this.
  5. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

In your case, I think it might be better, if you learn to make and model the anime base mesh yourself. You'll be able to have more control on how it looks too.

Boigamer225 likes this.
  6. kdgalla

kdgalla

If you're interested, I just heard about an app called VRoid Studio where it looks like you can customize your base mesh. Here is a video where someone demonstrates how to import a vroid model into Blender.

BrandyStarbrite likes this.
  7. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

Yeah, I saw that vid on that channel months ago. Vroid looks really nice.

8. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

Gamesfromscratch is a really good channel for game dev content.