Search Unity

1. Unity 2018.3 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We've updated our Terms of Service. Please read our blog post from Unity CTO and Co-Founder Joachim Ante here
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to provide direct feedback to the Unity team? Join the Unity Advisory Panel.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice

Blender 2.80 direct import

Discussion in 'External Tools' started by Rallix, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Rallix

Rallix

I recently tried the new Blender 2.80 version which (apart from other things) also changes the internal file structure and the FBX export.
    Because of this, the behind-the-scenes FBX import in Unity doesn't work anymore.
    “Blender could not convert the .blend file to FBX file, […] you need to use 2.58 or later versions.”

I didn't find any other threads mentioning this, so I'm posting this in case of other people running into the same problem. It's not really a bug since the new Blender version is still in beta (and according to estimations, won't be released until spring, so hopefully the Unity team will have enough time to provide a fix).

The solution, for now, is to either keep using the old version 2.79 – or to export the FBX file manually.
    Files saved with version 2.80 cannot be opened in earlier versions (the only way is to export from the beta file and import in the earlier version, which causes e.g. modifiers to be lost).

Attached Files:

2. kividroid

kividroid

can you check to see if the /scripts/addons/io_scene_fbx/export_fbx.py file is missing?

Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  3. Rallix

Rallix

Here are both versions 2.80 and 2.79b side-by-side.
    Blender 2.80 seems to no longer use the file anymore. However, unlike you, I'm not using an updated version from the official repo (as you mentioned in your thread), I just installed it using their Windows installer which doesn't change as often

If I were you, I'd report it as a bug, because even though 2.80 is still in the beta phase, 2.79 is not and as such, it should be working with the latest version of Unity. Without a report, the chance of anyone looking into it anytime soon is much smaller.
    If it works when you just rename the file, I'd stick to it for the time being.

Attached Files: