Search Unity

Blender 2.8.2 FBX Error in Unity 2019.3.0f6

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by mistergreen2016, Feb 19, 2020.

1. mistergreen2016

mistergreen2016

The error sometimes go away if I check 'Include/Active Collection'. This includes everything like camera, lights, etc... in the FBX. But most times I get an error below.

I imported an old Blender 2.7 FBX and it worked fine.

Oh, my 2.8.3 FBX includes a texture, and skeleton animation.

-------------------------

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    UnityEditor.ModelImporterClipEditor.FindNextAvailableName (System.String baseName) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/AssetPipelineEditor/ImportSettings/ModelImporterClipEditor.cs:848)
    UnityEditor.ModelImporterClipEditor.MakeUniqueClipName (System.String name) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/AssetPipelineEditor/ImportSettings/ModelImporterClipEditor.cs:872)
    UnityEditor.ModelImporterClipEditor.AddClip (UnityEditor.TakeInfo takeInfo) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/AssetPipelineEditor/ImportSettings/ModelImporterClipEditor.cs:894)
    UnityEditor.ModelImporterClipEditor.SetupDefaultClips () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/AssetPipelineEditor/ImportSettings/ModelImporterClipEditor.cs:299)
    UnityEditor.ModelImporterClipEditor.OnEnable () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/AssetPipelineEditor/ImportSettings/ModelImporterClipEditor.cs:238)
    UnityEditor.AssetImporterTabbedEditor.OnEnable () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/AssetPipelineEditor/ImportSettings/AssetImporterTabbedEditor.cs:25)
    UnityEditor.ModelImporterEditor.OnEnable () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/AssetPipelineEditor/ImportSettings/ModelImporterEditor.cs:33)

UnityEditor.ModelImporterMaterialEditor.UpdateShowAllMaterialNameOptions () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/AssetPipelineEditor/ImportSettings/ModelImporterMaterialEditor.cs:124)
    UnityEditor.ModelImporterMaterialEditor.DoMaterialsGUI () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/AssetPipelineEditor/ImportSettings/ModelImporterMaterialEditor.cs:423)
    UnityEditor.ModelImporterMaterialEditor.OnInspectorGUI () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/AssetPipelineEditor/ImportSettings/ModelImporterMaterialEditor.cs:224)
    UnityEditor.AssetImporterTabbedEditor.OnInspectorGUI () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/AssetPipelineEditor/ImportSettings/AssetImporterTabbedEditor.cs:81)
    UnityEditor.ModelImporterEditor.OnInspectorGUI () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/AssetPipelineEditor/ImportSettings/ModelImporterEditor.cs:23)
    UnityEditor.UIElements.InspectorElement+<>c__DisplayClass55_0.<CreateIMGUIInspectorFromEditor>b__0 () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorElement.cs:521)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/IMGUI/GUIUtility.cs:187)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  2. mistergreen2016

mistergreen2016

I did some testing. The armature animations with multiple 'action' is causing the error. I'll try to revert back to 2.8.0 to see if the problem persists.

3. mistergreen2016

mistergreen2016

Did more testing and looks like the problem is Unity version I'm using. It can't import more than one 'action'/animation.
    I'm going to update to Unity 2019.3.1

4. mistergreen2016

mistergreen2016

I updated but the problems persists EVEN though the bug fix in 2019.3.2 said it fixed the FBX animation issue.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  5. BlackhawkAceX

BlackhawkAceX

Yup, that doesn't seem to be fixed at all.

6. mistergreen2016

mistergreen2016

I read the open bug report. It looks like there is a fix in 2020.1. I don’t know when that is released. How do we do animations in the meantime?

MentalGames likes this.
  7. MartinBarrette

MartinBarrette

Unity Technologies

MentalGames likes this.
  8. mistergreen2016

mistergreen2016

I tried this with 2018.3 which I installed already but it still doesn't work. It got the same error. I guess it is calling the same Model importer in 2019.3.

9. MartinBarrette

MartinBarrette

Unity Technologies

It shouldn't the Model importer is per version. You are getting the exact same error:
    UnityEditor.ModelImporterClipEditor.FindNextAvailableName (System.String baseName) (at
    Did you start with a fresh import or with an import with an existing meta file? If you are still reproducing this issue with 2018.3 I would encourage you to log a new issue with your content so that we could double check. Thank you!

10. mistergreen2016

mistergreen2016

Importing fbx into 2018.3 works fine. When I copy the fbx & meta files into 2019.3 assets folder, launch unity 2019.3, the error appears.

11. MartinBarrette

MartinBarrette

Unity Technologies

I think the issue is that there has been a version update in the ModelImporter between 2018.3 and 2019.3 which will cause a re-import leading to you seeing the error. If you try with 2019.2 are you seeing the same issue? Thank you!

12. alpsoy

alpsoy

This happens when FBX has multiple actions; exporting FBX from blender with single action works ok.