Search Unity

Blender 2.79b and Blender 2.8 not working with Unity 2018.3.0f2

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by Deleted User, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

I have created a simple test model in Blender 2.79b and 2.8 Beta. I have set the transforms to 0 on the X, Y, and Z. Set the Scale to 1. Exported the model as a .DAE and .FBX file. Then Imported the model in Unity 2018.3.0f2 and click on the model and clicked on Generate Collision. When I had a RigidBody to it, Unity throws an error saying that non-Kinematic mesh not supported since Unity 5. I have to click the Kinematic checkbox which turns off the gravity to the object. The model then has collision but gravity does not work. I don't know if the model will actually fall through the terrain or not but when I fly my sphere into the model, it does have the collision. Does Unity no longer support Blender anymore? The only other modeling program I can purchase is the new Lightwave for $995.00 USD. If I have to go with buying Lightwave It will slow me down dramatically. If there is any possible way to get Blender to work properly that would be great. I have a Game due out in July 2019. I have searched YouTube, Reddit Forums, and Unity Forums. There is nothing on this issue.

2. mcroswell

mcroswell

Ninja_Tew: I think you might find Convex option in collider (in Properties view). I think this has been there for a while (the non-Kinematic error). Also, when importing, try turning off animation. It's been a while since I had the problem, but I do remember I got around it by adding a collection of convex colliders in my model (as separate objects but hierarchically arranged). Can you post a picture of your model and what you're trying to do?

3. kburkhart84

kburkhart84

I can vouch that the issue has nothing to do with the modeller you are using, but rather what you are attempting to do with the model. There are certain requirements for using meshes as colliders, and many games in fact avoid the issue completely. Part of that is the convex/concave issue(look it up). Another part is the simple amount of triangles involved.

Most games simply use a few primitive colliders that can approximate the shape of the object. In my current project, pretty much everything is going to be based on sphere colliders. Games have a lot of this "fakery" type stuff going on anyway. In most cases, the collision either happens or it doesn't, rarely is there the edge case where having your player notices that something should have collided but didn't(or the other way around). And you can get good results by tweaking the sizes of the primitives so there aren't too many edge cases.

There are some cases where games use actual meshes for collision geometry. I think the most common use case is in games that are based indoors, like your Quakes and similar, where the walls themselves use the mesh for collision detection. Quite often though, they aren't using the actual rendered mesh, rather a cheap approximation.

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

I have literally tried every possible thing. I ended up finding out that the issue wasn't with Blender 2.79b. The issue was with my Windows 10. Some how Windows 10 got corrupted and I did a factory restart on my computer and reinstalled Windows 10. Then reinstalled Blender 2.79b and it started working just fine. In Blender 2.8 there is a FBX file export bug that exports the model out with a transparent default material.

5. kburkhart84

kburkhart84

I haven't used Blender 2.8 yet since it is still in beta and I don't really have time to beta test for them(I wish I did though, it seems like a really nice update). But, I don't think the FBX bug should affect you here, because you should be using Unity's materials, not trying to use whatever material you get from the export from Blender.