Search Unity

Blender 2.61 export Actions

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by mgrenier, Apr 13, 2012.

1. mgrenier

mgrenier

I've been modeling with Blender for quite some times now but never actualy imported my projects into Unity.

I'm having a hard time figuring out how to export my actions to Unity. Every tutorial I saw/read were very clear on the usefulness of Actions Blending them in Unity.

Here a simple blend file I created to expose my problem. View attachment $untitled.zip

In the Blender's default scene, I replaced the cube with the monkey face, inserted a keyframe at 0, rotated it and inserted a keyframe at 60. Simple enough. Went to the Actions Editor, named my Action "RotateHead", checked the "F" (Fake user) for that action.

At first Unity was importing a "Default Take" and with the help of that thread, I was able to sort that out.

Still! I can not import my "RotateHead" in Unity.

Would really appreciate some help / explanation.

2. w00dn

w00dn

Only Armature based animations are properly supported, not object based animations. Might this be the problem?

3. mgrenier

mgrenier

Most likely it since I did not know object based (transform) animations were not supported by Unity.

Is there a way to export Blender Object Based animations to Unity Animation Clip ?

4. wccrawford

wccrawford

That's... weird. I didn't know object-based animations weren't supported, so I animated some buttons and doors that way the other day. And they imported just fine into Unity.

mgrenier, have you tried manually entering the keyframe information for the animation into the importer in Unity? That's what I had to do.

Though, if armature animations will import automatically, I'll switch to those instead. That would be much nicer.

5. mgrenier

mgrenier

Works for .fbx but not for .blend files... is it expected or I'm doing something wrong?

6. wccrawford

wccrawford

Ah, yeah, I was exporting FBX files. Maybe that's why it was working for me.

I don't know if it's supposed to be like that. I'm new to Blender.

7. Dukejib

Dukejib

When you import the mesh with object based animation, name it RotateHead instead of idle in "Split Animation" section. choose the frames from 1 - 60 , WrapMode as desired and import the mesh.

It is perfectly alright to use object based animation in unity as far as i know.

8. mgrenier

mgrenier

Thanks guys, finally had time to sort that out.

Unity should add support to import "object animation" from Actions like with Armature/Bones.