Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Ever participated in one our Game Jams? Want pointers on your project? Our Evangelists will be available on Friday to give feedback. Come share your games with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Blender 2.58

Discussion in 'External Tools' started by JogwithAJ, Jun 24, 2011.

1. JogwithAJ

JogwithAJ

2. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

WTF? Blender dropped PSD support?

That was unexpected. And it's a bummer. I am not sure this was a good decission .... :-/

3. KnifeFightBob

KnifeFightBob

Clarifications: I am using the official 2.58 build with no troubles what-so-ever. I'm using an updated script that you can find at http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/85753-Blender-2.57/page4. PSD is working as it always has. I have no idea what their statement on PSD support means. Could be that you can't render as PSD or something, no idea.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  4. w00dn

w00dn

afaik, psd support in blender only works with 32bit versions of blender that were built with quicktime enabled. in addition, you need quicktime installed on your system if i remember correctly. 64bit versions of blender can't use quicktime because there's no 64bit version of the quicktime sdk.

5. KnifeFightBob

KnifeFightBob

OK. What Blender has dropped is rendering images to PSD. So in the most practical of senses, this won't affect anyone doing games. You can still use PSDs as textures and so on.

Quicktime is also dropped so fuhgeddaboutit. ^^

6. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Is it wrong that I am staying with 2.49? I hate the new interface xD

7. KnifeFightBob

KnifeFightBob

Of course a preference is always a preference. But I've never felt as satisfied with Blender as now, and finally the 2.5 series feels really solid and reliable. Then obviously it's always smart to stay on top of changes - things are not going to work like in 2.49 anymore from now on.

8. w00dn

w00dn

edit: nevermind ...

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  9. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Me, too. I'm putting off the switch to 2.5x for as long as I can. As I understand it, Unity will continue to support Blender 2.49 for the foreseeable future and will add support for 2.5x when its FBX API has finalized. I could be wrong, but that's what I remember UT telling me several months ago.

10. U7Games

U7Games

the most probably the final road map of blender (2.6 soon), is going to change a bit the GUI..

11. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

I'm hoping someone on the Blender forums posts a script or template that makes 2.5x more 2.4x friendly. Everyone I asked just said to "bite the bullet and learn the new interface" but when you're doing this for a living and only make money when doing "productive" work, it's hard to bite that bullet without taking a financial hit. I'm putting it off as long as I can. ;)

12. Tiles

Tiles

Blender? For a living? This doesn`t really work ;)

I would say, bite the bullet and learn the new inter .. err :)

13. U7Games

U7Games

Blender rocks don't forget that :p

14. pjohnsen

pjohnsen

Hopefully one day COLLADA will take over for FBX. Join the effort in #blendercollada on IRC if you are interested :)

15. saymoo

saymoo

i like the 2.5x gui. Far more intuitive compared to 2.4x and earlier.
    You need to get used to it, sure, but overall it's faster and friendlier.

16. Inkognito

Inkognito

I wouldn't call the new GUI bad. Just... different. It really takes some time to get used to it but the bugfixes in 2.58 are definitely worth to switch. Specially the animation system was quite a mess in the old versions and from what I've seen, most of that is finally fixed now.
    So far, I haven't got the blender to unity conversion working though :(

17. d.toliaferro

d.toliaferro

Anybody notice that the models out of Blender import into Unity rotated 270 degrees on the X axis?

I have a rather specific condition.

I'm working with objects that are built on the fly, so I'm adding meshes to gameobjects through scripting. Well it turns out that no matter how you rotate it beforehand in Blender, or afterward in Unity it'll still be rotated that 270 degrees if you're adding the meshes that way.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  18. Inkognito

Inkognito

@dtoliaferro
    Nope, thats acutally not true. You need to rotate it in blender and then apply the rotation to obData. Click in object mode Object/Apply/Rotation. That should work.

19. Robert_Duffill

Robert_Duffill

Inkognito could you explain that process in some more detail please? I'm able to rotate the objects transform, while in object mode, so not editing mode easily enough but the solution seems too simple. I have this nagging feeling at the back of my mind which is reminding me about something I read somewhere that said something along the lines of "when using an armature your mesh's object transform properties should be unaltered" so I've maintained a format where I don't actually edit the local objects transform at all.... hopefully you can clear this up for me and release me from this constraint lol

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  20. NSdesignGames

NSdesignGames

Hello everybody!
    To fix Blender 2.58 to Unity export problem, go to C:program files/Unity/Editor/Data/Tools and replace "Unity-BlenderToFBX" with this one

Attached Files:

21. saymoo

saymoo

NSdesignGames:

What is the original location to that file @blender website?

22. btiger19

btiger19

Thanks a lot. I have used exporting .fbx for a long time.

23. pjohnsen

pjohnsen

I don't think that file is supplied by blender, but rather provided by unity

24. Arnaud

Arnaud

@NSDesignGames
    It works, thank you :)
    At least for static meshes, I tested with a simple plane for my billboards.

25. d.toliaferro

d.toliaferro

Thank you Inkognito. I finally figured it out.

You have to rotate the mesh 270 degrees on the X axis, then in the bar at the bottom click "Object > Apply > Rotation." Then when you save and import the .blend file into Unity it should be correctly orientated.

26. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

Here's a little tidbit I found out with the new FBX exporter for 2.58:

Its got an FBX exporter meant for XNA, but I presume it will also work with Unity. The only difference is each animation (action) will be automatically exported into its own individual fbx file (only one animation per fbx file).

This is really nice. My problem back then was, I have this blend file for all generic animations for humanoids in my game (stand, walk, crouch, jump, etc.) and it reaches about 20+ animations, and importing them into Unity takes so much time.

When I change just one animation out of those 20+, Unity has to reimport all of them and it still takes so much time, even if I changed only one animation.

Now that each animation is its own fbx file, presumably, if the other fbx files remain unchanged, Unity only has to reimport the changed one.

Weird though is, I downloaded 2.58a, but I don't see this XNA fbx exporter bundled along, instead I see the Autodesk fbx exporter.

It seems they're making something to streamline fbx export to various engines here.

I'd wait for this to get all fixed before I make the jump for my projects, but I'm going to start learning how to use 2.5x right now!

27. WarpZone

WarpZone

Where is that on a mac?

28. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

@WarpZone: You'll have to go inside the Unity.app file as if its a folder. That's right click, then show package contents iirc, then follow the same path (/Editor/Data/Tools)

29. EISOBAX

EISOBAX

just wait for the update it should be realest soon

30. vortex69

vortex69

Isn't it one of the add-ons?
    My official Blender install has it there.

31. d.toliaferro

d.toliaferro

I'd like to report that NSdesignGames' modified importer script works with Unity 3.4. That is all.

32. maxmyth

maxmyth

NSdesignGames' script does indeed work with 3.4 : ) Thanks

33. vortex69

vortex69

Then I must have something very wrong going on, as I can't get it to work with 3.4. Same Blender install worked perfectly with 3.3, but with 3.4 it just says:
    "Blender could not convert the .blend file to FBX file.
    You need to use Blender 2.45 or higher for direct Blender import to work."

Already tried reinstalling Blender, tried x64 and x86 builds of Blender, tried deleting Unity-BlenderToFBX.py and putting the edited one on its place...nothing worked. I must be missing something and it must be something simple...

34. maxmyth

maxmyth

I remember getting that exact same error message before replacing the original Unity-BlenderToFBX script with NSdesignGames' Unity-BlenderToFBX script.

What OS are you running?
    Are you manually importing the Blender assets or are you saving them from Blender right into your Unity project assests folder and having Unity auto import them?
    Are you getting any error messages in the console?
    Have you tried uninstalling Unity and then reinstalling?

35. vortex69

vortex69

Windows 7 x64
    Auto import, but tried manual import and it was the same.
    The error was what I said before:
    "Blender could not convert the .blend file to FBX file.
    You need to use Blender 2.45 or higher for direct Blender import to work."
    And just tried uninstalling Unity, Blender and Python, delete files and folders left behind and cleaning windows registry (with CCleaner) then installing all of them (Unity 3.4; Blender, official 2.58a x64 and Python, 2.7.2 x64), still nothing.
    I'll just quit trying, I'm used to export to FBX anyway, can't think of anything else to fix this.

*edit*
    Let me see if this crap works with blender 2.49 using the original .py script...if it doesn't, I'm going to shoot someone...
    *edit 2*
    Doesn't work even with 2.49b, something is wrong in my pc and I'm out of ideas...(is it python? blender? unity? no idea...FBX is a wonderful format, thank you)
    *edit 3*
    Fixed it, I knew it had to be something simple, illogical maybe, but simple. For some reason I had to define the Scripts path on blender (although blender itself works wonderfully without it, the unity import needs it). That, and the Autodesk FBX Import-Export Add-on on Blender has to be disabled, WTF??

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  36. maxmyth

maxmyth

how strange vortex69. well i am glad you got it fixed. perhaps your case might help someone else in the future : )

37. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

I used the zip version of 2.58 so that might be the cause, perhaps the .exe installer has different contents

38. Aralox

Aralox

Thanks NSdesignGames, works like a charm :)

39. alln2themusic

alln2themusic

Does NSdesignGames script work for Unity on both Mac and Win? Thanks.

unityunity