Search Unity

Blender 2.54 soon?

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by w00dn, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Dantus

Dantus

You are right! There is a bug! I haven't updated my animations since the update to 2.55, so I didn't export them since then. Actually there was a 2.5x version that exported more then one action correctly. Thanks for submitting the bug report!

2. alewinn

alewinn

bugfix [#24947] Animations data replaced by the first animation (fbx exporter) this feature was ported from 2.5x but not tested, referring to the wrong object when assigning actions.

;)
    Should work in next version (Build version >= #33369)
    Thanks Campbellbarton

3. w00dn

w00dn

Go, Campbell! :)

4. alewinn

alewinn

Tested and worked fine with the following build !

So the process to obtain a working Blender installation should be as follow (i've updated my precedent post too) :

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  5. Dantus

Dantus

Thanks for your effort Alewinn!

6. SteveZantes

SteveZantes

Hi all!
    I have a problem and it is this:
    I have created a caravan in Sketchup (free), and i have exported it in .dae format.

When i start Blender, and after imported this dae file...
    The object not appear! :-?
    It's like this file was not imported...
    Any suggestion? :)

7. alewinn

alewinn

you should ask the question over the blender forums => http://blenderartists.org/forum/

8. 3Duaun

3Duaun

hoping for Blender 2.5x support someday soon. Though I do understand that the API is changing of course. Still, would be VERY useful, as many blender users are now using 2.5x for their production work/pipelines

9. Dantus

Dantus

zhx, the Blender developers are doing a great job at the moment. They don't merge new stuff at the moment. The only thing they do is closing bugs. The bug tracker went below 100 which is fantastic if you have a look at how many bugs were there in the last few months. At the end we have to face it: Blender 2.5x is still beta. I use it as well, but for productions it is a risk.

10. 3Duaun

3Duaun

@Dantus, agreed, I still fall back to 2.49 occasionally. I just cant wait for 2.5x support in Unity, till then my FBX exports take more time, but import properly. I saw on Ton's twitter the bug count went below 100, IMO a big milestone.

11. w00dn

w00dn

Finally, with r33620 or later, the hopefully last issue has been solved with the fbx exporter. First it was the broken actions, then it was the broken RotX functionality of the exporter options. Now it should all work fine. Just need to wait for an official Blender installer and we're ready to go :)

So much looking forward to this. 2.49 is getting to annoy me on my Mac mini...

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  12. 3Duaun

3Duaun

@woodn
    have you personally tested a post r33620 build to see if the FBX fixes are in there?

13. w00dn

w00dn

@zhx

jep, i tested about 3 builds after 33620 and both the actions bug and the rotations bug are fixed.
    looking good :)

14. Dantus

Dantus

Sounds great. Thanks to everyone submitting bug reports!

15. 3Duaun

3Duaun

i head the bug count went down to 65 today. Hopefully Unity will soon consider natively supporting Blender 2.5 blends.

16. Paulius-Liekis

Paulius-Liekis

zhx, we made necessary changes on our side (it will be released in next Unity release). At the moment there is no official Blender release which would work with Unity, so users will have to download latests builds from somewhere (probably graphical.org). Until official Blender release is out we want to avoid any official comments (since something might break again ;))

17. GusM

GusM

Please, make sure you don´t break the precious current workflow with the current official last Blender release, 2.49, until we get a new official, bug-free, Blender 2.6. Thanks in the name of the MANY Unity users currently developing our projects with Blender 2.49.

18. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

++1000!!!

19. Paulius-Liekis

Paulius-Liekis

2.49 workflow will stay intact. It's our priority #1 (and we have regression tests to make sure it doesn't get broken).

20. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Thank you!

21. 3Duaun

3Duaun

@Paulius
    Thank you VERY much for the updates. I still refer to 2.49 when need be, but enjoy the features of 2.5x's newest builds(I compile my own), that it almost hurts to go back to 2.49 for our Unity work. So even an unannounced support for 2.5 is GREATLY appreciated :). We totally understand the API still in development on Blender's end, but appreciate you working to support it as it solidifies, which it looks to be doing with the bug count lowering and moving to a (linux style) even numbered release.

22. GusM

GusM

Thank you very much, Paulius.

23. w00dn

w00dn

24. joedgrant

joedgrant

I found if I installed it in admin mode to the program files directory, it worked fine.

25. w00dn

w00dn

Joe, did you get unity working directly with .blend files? I'm still getting the import error along the lines of "Make sure you have blender 2.45 or later installed...".

26. joedgrant

joedgrant

It's associated with .blend. I can double click on them to open them in blender. Just can't save yet. ;)

27. guategeek_legacy

guategeek_legacy

Just downloaded 2.56, haven't been able to test if the .blend files work in Unity yet. Dose it matter if I have 2 versons of blender installed at a time? - Jeff

28. thedaemon

thedaemon

Jeff, you can have as many installations of blender at one time as you can cope with, just as long as they are installed in separate areas and don't use the same configure files.

29. joedgrant

joedgrant

Any updates on this?

30. w00dn

w00dn

UPDATE : Here's how to get Unity working with Blender 2.57a:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/85753-Blender-2.57?p=559189#post559189

-----------------------------

Paulius, thank you for the update :)
    Blender 2.56a is finally playing along with Unity 3.2!

It works on My PC and on My Mac! What a great day!

If anyone is having trouble, here's what I did:

PC
    - Downloaded the official 32-bit installer from Blender.org -> http://www.blender.org/download/get-256-beta/
    I use the 32-bit version because the 64-bit version of Blender doesn't have Photoshop .psd support yet, which would be not so fun for my workflow.
    - Uninstalled Blender 2.49 (don't know if it's necessary, but if you uninstall, make sure you backup your scripts and stuff in case something goes wrong.)
    - Installed Blender 2.56a with administration rights to C:/Program Files (x86)/Blender and choose the second option to install the additional files into the install directory (couldn't get it to work with the first option selected...)
    - After that, opening and saving .blend files from and to the Assets folder worked like it did with 2.49.

MAC
    - Downloaded the official 32-bit or 64-bit installer from Blender.org -> http://www.blender.org/download/get-256-beta/
    - Copied the resulting folder to Applications and assigned the .blend files to use Blender 2.56a.
    - After that, opening and saving .blend files from and to the Assets folder worked like it did with 2.49.

Some differences to before in my workflow:
    - Textures don't get assigned to the material anymore even if you assigned them in the uv/image editor in blender (worked with 2.49)
    - Skinned mesh renderer is attached to the root bone of the skeleton/armature (was attached to the actual mesh object with 2.49)
    - Import seems a little slower

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  31. KnifeFightBob

KnifeFightBob

Re-installed Unity 3-4 times now, making -real- sure I'm using the final 3.2.0 build released yesterday. Still not working. Using Mac (Snow Leopard). Followed the exact steps written by woodn, no luck.

About screen says Unity 3.2.0f4 build version 61061.

32. w00dn

w00dn

What error do you get and which blender version(s) do you have "installed"?

33. KnifeFightBob

KnifeFightBob

I get the usual "Blender could not convert the .blend file to FBX file. You need to use Blender 2.45 or higher..." error. Both 2.49 final and 2.56a (official build) were installed, but no changes even if Blender 2.49 was removed. Default opening and such has been set to the more recent 2.56 release so any file type "linking" should not even had considered 2.49.

34. runner

runner

Unity Pro 3.2.0f4
    Blender 2.56beta

Exported .fbx
    Concept Sedan 2 Sport

Unity Screenshot
    $car.jpg

This worked rather well and Well done Unity!

35. w00dn

w00dn

@KnifeFightBob Sorry, I don't know what the problem might be. :-(
    I got that error on windows when installing blender with the first option (to put additional files in the application data folder). But that option doesn't seem to exist on os x.

@runner Has Jesus become lazy and drives on the water now? :)

36. Dantus

Dantus

I am using Blender 2.56b and Unity 3.2.0f4, but Unity does not import automatically. I just installed the new version of Unity. I expect it would work if I reinstalled Blender (maybe with different options). Just wanted to confirm that there may be issues. At the moment I don't care, as I need a working solution and it works very well for me with the fbx exporter.

37. KnifeFightBob

KnifeFightBob

YES! It works now but I am not quite sure why. What happened was probably
    1) Needed restart - likely? No, but still.
    2) Removing every Blender "install" lying around until OS X could not find anything to open .blend files with.

Then, starting with a fresh download of the 32-bit version of 2.56 I did a cube test import (native .blend of course) = worked.
    OK. 32-bit is good to go. Then the same with 64-bit. Works as well.

So, if anyone is having problems make sure there is nothing at all on your computer that has Blender in it and start a fresh.

38. Digitalos

Digitalos

Hi there, I have a brand new OS install, and the only Blender version I've installed is the latest at time of writing - r34076 (2.56a 64bit) and Unity spews errors when trying to convert a file I've saved.

39. Dantus

Dantus

40. Digitalos

Digitalos

Hey Dantus, thanks, a friend actually noted that Blender has broken it again, so the version needs to be quite specific, it can't be version X or later as the later ones are borked again, oh wells. Thx anyhow :>

41. Dantus

Dantus

If you do everything as woodn describes it, it should work. There are at least a handful of people here in the forums who got it working like that, with Blender 2.56a (beta). But if you just make one step different, it won't work!

42. w00dn

w00dn

Has someone here got a recent blender build vom graphicall.org to work with blend files? After trying around for ages I couldn't find out what's causing the "...need blender 2.45 or later.." error in unity.

It would be so great if we could use recent builds for direct blend import...
    The new uv helper tool and some other improvements would definitely save me a lot of trouble.

43. Ian Smithers

Ian Smithers

I may be reading the wrong post, but all he said was uninstall 2.49 and installed 2.5.

Does anyone here have a working version of Blender 2.5 with the native import, and are willing to post the fbx exporter script that comes with that version, so others can download it?

44. bjawn

bjawn

I worked on this for a while this AM and there was one simple thing that made it work for me. When installing Blender, you MUST select the 2nd option on the dialog that says something like "Install the additional files into the install directory". The default option did not work for me on this screen. Once I did a fresh install with the 2nd option selected I can bring BLEND files right into Unity. Good luck.

45. alewinn

alewinn

WARNING ! Unity Automatic conversion don't work with the current official release of Blender (2.57) !

If someone have a clue about the changes in the Python API, Welcome !
    Otherwise, i will throw it an eye in the upcoming days.

46. loken

loken

Yeah, it's not working for me either, but I've never gotten it to work right with Unity 3.2+ or any Blender 2.5+ version.

Any helpful hints?

47. alewinn

alewinn

48. tyoc213

tyoc213

Hi there, Im trying some bmesh builds, they don't seem to work correctly to me, even the basic setup scene can't be imported to unity.

By the way, I was watching where io_scene_fbx.py is located bin/blender.app/Contents/MacOS/2.61/scripts/addons which I installed from http://graphicall.org/os-x and I dont know where to put the provided Unity-BlenderToFBX.zip contents... any idea?

49. ivanzu

ivanzu

They work for me.

50. tyoc213

tyoc213

I have one automatically imported model (which is displayed correctly)... with default blender branch, so I will check again tomorrow and see if I get to have the default blender scene imported with bmesh branch.