Search Unity

Blend Shapes overhead on mobile?

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by kinl, Jul 29, 2015.

1. kinl

kinl

Do the amount Blend Shapes in a Mesh have a performance overhead? If so is there a (Rough) limit?

Thanks

Kinl

SmallByMacGuff likes this.
  2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Limits don't make sense in game development.

Just do some tests, don't be lazy, it's the only answer. For example you may be stressing cpu with too many draw calls, or using too much physics or particles, which leaves less time for blendshapes, and vice versa. Plus all mobiles have different strengths. This is why it's utterly senseless and there's *no* proper limit.

Your job is to make a prototype scene which would contain enough of the elements you wish ie placeholder blendshapes, placeholder physics or whatever your game needs. Only then, and testing on your target devices, can you make decisions.

3. kinl

kinl

Im aware thats a very vague question.

Is it feasible to have 6 1500 polly characters, boned, animating with say 20 blendshapes?

In a relativity low polygon environment..

Thanks

4. kinl

kinl

I'm aware of my job. No harm it asking the community if they have had experience themselves. I thought thats what forums were for?

I'm aware that everything has a cost, and its the cost of Blend Shapes I'm after. Is it high? Its is relatively low? is 20 nothing or way too many? Does it double drawcalls? does it effectively double vertex count? does it make it more expensive to deform? If so how much?

Limits do make sense in game development, otherwise no one would have to optimize anything.

I appreciate your reply. I do not appreciate being called lazy or having my question called sensless! you might want to conduct yourself in a less rude manor, you know being a moderator and all!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015