Search Unity

Blend shapes on retargeted humanoid animations

Discussion in 'Animation' started by HarryCodder, Sep 4, 2015.

1. HarryCodder

HarryCodder

Hello,

We have a problem animating blend shapes while retargeting humanoid animations.

Let me explain :

We have two character rigs exported from 3ds max in two distinct fbx files and an animation exported into a third fbx file. Both characters have a blend shape with the same name that is supposed to be animated by the animation.

The two characters are setup with humanoid and are applied the same animation controller that plays the animation.

Animation plays fine on both characters and is retargeted correctly.
    However, we have two problems with the blend shape animation.

First, the blend shape does not get animated unless the mesh holding the blend shape animation keys is put in the fbx file.

Second, the blend shape is only animated on the character that was the source of the animation. The second character on which the animation is retargeted onto just does not play the blend shape animation.

Does anyone have any info on this ?
    Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  2. HarryCodder

HarryCodder

So I found a solution to one of my problems.

When trying to get all curves from the animation, I found that the associated blend shape curve has a path which point to the name of the mesh being animated. If the name of the mesh on which the animation is retargeted onto is different, then the blend shape is not applied.

Giving the same name to each mesh in my two characters fixed the problem.

3. AidSta

AidSta

I'd just like to say thank you for sharing this. Saved my bacon, and it's posts like this that help so many people, even if nobody replies to say thanks.

Good on you!

fumeknight and HarryCodder like this.
  4. anascg

anascg

You're a life saver! Many thanks!