Search Unity

Blend multiple directors affecting the same object binding

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by LazloBonin, May 12, 2019.

1. LazloBonin

LazloBonin

Hi! So apologies in advance if I get some of the terminology wrong, it's still a bit confusing to me.

I have a custom track and it works well so far.
    For simplicity, let's say the track changes the color of a light.
    What I'd like to do is have multiple timelines playing and affecting a single light simultaneously.

So for example, in timeline/director A, the track would set the light color to blue; and in B, it would set it to red. When both of these things are running at the same time, I'd like my MixerBehaviour to be able to pick up both the red and blue inputs in ProcessFrame and blend them to magenta.

Is there any way to do something like that?

2. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

No, the timelines are completely unaware of each other. The pattern to use here is have a monobehaviour that accepts 'the request to change the light color' from the timeline scripts. i.e. Instead of writing directly to the light, call a method on the monobehaviour. Then the monobehaviour can blend it altogether in LateUpdate().

This is more or less the pattern of animation tracks and cinemachine tracks. Timeline gathers the data, and then the player loop processes all of it to produce a final result at a later time.

LazloBonin likes this.
  3. LazloBonin

LazloBonin

Thanks for the clarification!