Search Unity

Discussion Blend file auto import and X rotation

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by linenum, Mar 13, 2023.

1. linenum

linenum

Often when I import/resave a blend file with a single object the rotation is wrong in Unity (because Blender has Z up and Unity has Y up) but other times with a single object it does a -89.98 degree X rotation within the Transform in Unity.

If I add other objects in the blend file like an empty (or camera or light) then it makes a Transform parent with no rotation but each model has an X rotation of -89.98 degrees (but not for lights and cameras).

Ideally I'd like the coordinates to be recalculated through some kind of import/export option rather than X being rotated within Unity. Though I'm finding using auto-imported/updated blend files rather than FBX files to be more productive.

2. bastien_humeau

bastien_humeau

Unity Technologies

Hi!

Blender does not export FBX with correct rotations for the FBX format to change the axis properly, which is why every transform gets rotated in Unity.
    When exporting manually from Blender to FBX, you can select the "Apply Transform" option to make sure Blender is baking its transformation correctly to the FBX file.
    Because that's an option when getting the data out of Blender and not into Unity we do not have full control over it, which is one of the reasons we recommend using FBX files directly in Unity rather than .blend files for anything else than prototyping.

Bakanovskiy95 and Yoraiz0r like this.
  3. linenum

linenum

@bastien_humeau
    It would be really good if when you look in the blend file inspector there could be an option to bake the transformation rather than rotate it on the X axis. Is there some area where I can request that feature?

moo1210 likes this.