Search Unity

1. We are migrating the Unity Forums to Unity Discussions. On July 12, the Unity Forums will become read-only. On July 15, Unity Discussions will become read-only until July 18, when the new design and the migrated forum contents will go live. Read our full announcement for more information and let us know if you have any questions.

Blend distance inconsistency between Volume and Density Volume

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by dgoyette, May 27, 2019.

1. dgoyette

dgoyette

First of all, if I'm using these two components wrong, just let me know.

I noticed while trying to set up a small area of volumetric lighting that the Blend Distance of the Volume component behaves differently than the Blend Distance of the Density Volume. On Volume, it expands out from the given collider bounds, while with Density Volume, it goes inward. See the screenshot below. The solid green volume is the 10x10x10 volume I've set up. Note that the Box Collider and the Density Volume share the same 10x10x10 size. Then I've set the Blend Distance of both to 4. For the Volume, you can see the green box outline being 4 units outside the green cube. But for the Density Volume, you can see it's 4 units into the green cube.

upload_2019-5-27_15-58-29.png

This makes it more challenging to have a Volume and a Density Volume share the same space, because it means I have to set one to be 2xBlendDistance large than the other in order for them to share the same actual volume and blend distance.

Am I just doing this wrong? Or is there a reason these two components implement their blending opposite from one another?