Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Blank Collab window

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by lasercannon, May 6, 2016.

1. Kyuugatsu

Kyuugatsu

Unity Technologies

Hi Hattler,

You've followed the steps correctly, but it seems these will only work for OSX. For Windows, instead of moving the Unity.exe anywhere (leaving it at `*:/Program Files/Unity/Editor/Unity.exe`), just create the empty folders 'Editor' and 'Runtime' in `*:/Program Files/` - you may delete them once done debugging!

2. HATTLER

HATTLER

Thank you Kyuugatsu, for clarifying this, I suspected OSX was at fault.

Running Unity, with the 'Editor' and 'Runtime' folders only, looks no different, and when I right click on the Collab Toolbar nothing happens.

3. Kyuugatsu

Kyuugatsu

Unity Technologies

That means that the folder structure is probably incorrect. It should be like this:

C:/Program Files/Unity/Editor/Unity.exe (with absolutely no changes to the Unity installation)
    C:/Program Files/Editor (an empty folder)
    C:/Program Files/Runtime (an empty folder)

4. HATTLER

HATTLER

OH! Pink! That worked.

I can now access the DevTools.

Under the Sources tab I land in the directory:

public-cdn.cloud.unity3d.com
    editor/production/cloud/collab
    assets
    (index)
    www.google-analytics.com

the index file there appears empty, nothing on line 1

The Console tab is empty initially.

I inserted that code in the Console tab and I got this:

JSON.stringify(angular.element('body').injector().get('editorcollab').collabInfo)
    Error: [$injector:unpr] Unknown provider: editorcollabProvider <- editorcollab
    http://errors.angularjs.org/1.4.0/$injector/unpr?p0=editorcollabProvider <- editorcollab
    message: "[$injector:unpr] Unknown provider: editorcollabProvider <- editorcollab↵http://errors.angularjs.org/1.4.0/$injector/unpr?p0=editorcollabProvider <- editorcollab"
    stack: (...)
    get stack: function () { [native code] }
    set stack: function () { [native code] }
    __proto__: d

5. Kyuugatsu

Kyuugatsu

Unity Technologies

Hi! You are currently inspecting the "services" panel, you'll need to inspect the toolbar. You could do this either by clicking on the collab button (which might be invisible, but it's there), or clicking the link to open the toolbar in the Collab panel of the Services window.

6. HATTLER

HATTLER

OK.

Sources tab:
    file://
    C:/Users/EFigueroa/AppData/Roaming/Unity/Packages/node_modules/unityeditor-collab-toolbar/dist
    assets
    index.html

index.html is empty

Console tab:
    Failed to load resource: net::ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED
    http://localhost:38000/unity/service/collab/error

JSON.stringify(angular.element('body').injector().get('editorcollab').collabInfo)
    "{"ready":true,"update":false,"publish":true,"inProgress":false,"maintenance":false,"conflict":false,"dirty":false,"refresh":false,"tip":"none"}"

7. Harrison_Hough

Harrison_Hough

Currently having the same issue. Blank Collab toolbar window.
    Initially I couldn't update my project because of it, then I found the collab history and updated from there.
    Now however, there's a conflict that I need to deal with from that collab update but because the only buttons to do that are in the Collab toolbar I can't do anything.

Any ideas?

PS: I didnt wanna create a duplicate forum thread so I thought I'd jump in here

8. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @Harrison_Hough! Have you tried redownloading your project from the Cloud into a new folder? If that doesn't work then you can try deleting the contents of your Packages folder and reopening Unity. The steps on how to do that are mentioned in this thread. :)

9. Kyuugatsu

Kyuugatsu

Unity Technologies

@HATTLER are you able to get to http://localhost:38000/unity/service/collab/error in your browser? It looks like the toolbar is unable to connect to localhost. This can either be a DNS issue or an issue with your hosts file pointing localhost to a bad address.

You can check your hosts file in the appropriate location:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_(file)#Location_in_the_file_system
    (Look for entries for 127.0.0.1 and localhost)

You can flush your DNS by:
    Pressing Win + R, typing in "cmd", right clicking and selecting "run as administrator"

Then typing the following commands (enter in this order):
    ipconfig /flushdns
    ipconfig /renew
    ipconfig /registerdns

Please also check whether you have any firewalls running that may be blocking Unity.

10. Harrison_Hough

Harrison_Hough

Thanks for the help I ended up doing a Restore from the Collab History window. The Collab toolbar is now now working however I have lost all the scene and asset changes that I made so I have to redo quite a bit. I did back up the assets folder before I did the Restore so hopefully it shouldn't take too long.

11. HATTLER

HATTLER

I cannot get to http://localhost:38000/unity/service/collab/error in my browser, it says:
    This site can’t be reached
    localhost refused to connect.
    ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED

I don't see much in my hosts file, what exactly am I looking for?

I ran those 3 commands, and confirmed that my firewall is not blocking Unity, but have observed no change, Collab Toolbar is still blank.

Edit: Tried going to that url with Unity running and I got this:

{"code":0,"priority":4,"behaviour":2,"msg":"","shortMsg":"","codeStr":""}

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  12. HATTLER

HATTLER

Any ideas?

13. Kyuugatsu

Kyuugatsu

Unity Technologies

Hey, sorry for the late reply. It looks like your situation fairly unique. We're working on a way to unblock you - keep an eye out for a direct message from @ryanc-unity .

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  14. leightonRB

leightonRB

I've been monitoring this thread as I was having the same issue until recently.
    This might have been tried already, but what finally worked for me was clearing the packages

AppData/Roaming/Unity/Packages

And deleting the entire browser folder and then doing a DNS flush/release/renew, which I found mentioned in the other thread -
    Both collab toolbar and history panel are blank.

AppData/LocalLow/Unity/Browser

I had to sign back into Unity, but after that collab started working.

Ryan-Unity likes this.
  15. JermyAker

JermyAker

This bug is still an issue in 5.6.1 for Windows. Any hope for a fix in the next update? It's frustrating to have to re-download an entire 24 GB project so many times.

16. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

We are still looking into a fix. Did any of the above troubleshooting tips help? Has downloading the project from the Cloud fixed the issue every time you've run into it?

17. adamtuliper

adamtuliper

We just ran into this and none of the above worked (localhost url worked, no multiple versions running, cleared all the aforementioned folders). Finally reloaded from cloud and that worked.

18. Yaguz

Yaguz

I did all the solutions and none of them worked. Re-download the project is possible, but if any other member makes a new commit, the problem happens again.

19. arthurmarinho88

arthurmarinho88

Same here ;(

20. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @Yaguz! After you redownload your project, what are the exact repro steps for how the toolbar becomes blank for you again? Is it only on when trying to pull another user's changes?

21. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

22. BlasMena

BlasMena

Sorry if I have bad english.

I'm having the same issue here. I've tried everything that I've seen mentioned in this thread and others, and still no luck. Sorry if I'm not contributing with any new information, I just wanted to report myself and my screenshot.

Attached Files:

23. raphazappa

raphazappa

Hello! I got the same issue and I tried this stuffs a lot of times! Nothing happens! I don't know what I need to do anymore!
    I can't work!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  24. fulvioKidloom

fulvioKidloom

Hi @ryanc-unity, I have the same issue. Sorry, but I need a solution because my team can't work. We have lost three days up to now.
    By the way, I believe it is a bug that nothing have to do with the Unity version.

I have tried these recomendations:

- Restart Unity
    - Log out/Log in in Unity Account
    - Close/ReOpen tab
    - Reload tab
    - Delete Unity 5.6.1f1 and Install Unity 5.6.2
    - Delete everything in Library/Unity/Browser/Cache
    - Connecting from my home network
    - Rename the node_modules folder from Unity/Packages
    - Got to these links

http://localhost:38000/unity/service/collab/localChanges --> Works fine
    http://localhost:38001/unity/service/collab/localChanges --> This site can't be reached
    http://localhost:38002/unity/service/collab/localChanges --> This site can't be reached

- Run the unity_network_reporter_osx with the following results:

Inspecting interfaces...done
    Evaluating DNS resolution...done
    Evaluating TCP connectivity...done
    Evaluating HTTP connectivity...done
    Evaluating upload bandwidth...done
    Evaluating download bandwidth...done
    I send the log file to the collab team. Ticket open (#117863)

- Edit the hosts file

127.0.0.1 localhost
    255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
    ::1 localhost
    fe80::1%lo0 localhost

- Install Unity 2017 with a new project linked to a new collab project and I have the same issue

- Firewall OFF

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  25. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @raphax and @fulvioKidloom. I'm incredibly sorry for the inconvenience. Have either of you tried checking your firewall settings to see if they might be blocking connections to Unity's services?

They need to be able to reach the following domains:
    *.unity3d.com
    *.cloud.unity3d.com
    *.*.amazonaws.com
    *.pubnub.com

26. fulvioKidloom

fulvioKidloom

Hi @ryanc-unity , I looked into the macos settings and I found I already had the firewall in off mode.
    It is a local settings related issue. I've tried to delete everything related to unity and install a new version but the issue persist.

27. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

We're actively looking into a fix for this issue, which seems to be affecting South American users the most (please let us know if you're in other areas and still experiencing this issue).

The service was inaccessible due to a misconfigured certificate, and OSX 10.12.5 was making the problem worse. We'll let you know as soon as we get this resolved.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  28. fulvioKidloom

fulvioKidloom

Hi @ryanc-unity, Have you change the certificate? At the same time I was re-installing the osx 10.12.5.

It is working now.. I can see the history panel and make commit and updates.
    Thank you very much for your support!!

Ryan-Unity likes this.
  29. BlasMena

BlasMena

Everything is working. Thanks so much for the continuous support. You saved South America's Unity developers.

Ryan-Unity likes this.
  30. arthurmarinho88

arthurmarinho88

OMG its working! <3

Thanks for the support guys!

Ryan-Unity likes this.
  31. raphazappa

raphazappa

Ryan-Unity likes this.
  32. Tyrann0s

Tyrann0s

Hey guys, having same error on 2017.2.0f3 on macOS 10.12.6

First weird thing is that collaboration is actually working if I call it from Collab History. So basically it's mostly interface problem.

And second weird thing is that on other project on 5.6.0f3 everything works just perfect.

Attached Files:

33. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hey @Tyrann0s! Have you tried any of the suggestions in this thread yet? Deleting your Packages folder, checking your firewall settings, etc?

34. Tyrann0s

Tyrann0s

Yeah, I've tried all of it, firewall is off. I've deleted the project and started collab from scratch, interface showed up, it downloaded 56mb of 1gb and stopped. No errors showed up.

Does different versions of unity use different servers? Because it still works on older versions.

35. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

All versions of Unity are designed to communicate with the same Collab servers. At startup, Unity will attempt to download the latest version of Collab's code that communicates between the Editor and the Servers. If that fails then it will default to the latest version that was included with the installed Editor. It's possible that the Collab code for 2017.2 are either not downloading or are not playing well with your network.

Can you make sure that you're only running one version of Unity at a time? Collab can sometimes run into issues if two different versions of Unity are running together.

36. 1thewitcher

1thewitcher

Hi @ryanc-unity. I've same issue.
    Tried everything that was mentioned in this thread. Collab window works on one project but fails on another (same version).
    Unity 2017.2.0f3 - single instance opened. Have many old version installed on my machine.
    Windows 10 - Firewall Off
    Russian Federation region

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  37. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @1thewitcher! Sorry to hear you're also running into this. Does the Collab Toolbar go blank in the same project every time you open it? Does it go blank again when going back to it after opening a project where it wasn't blank for you?

38. Tyrann0s

Tyrann0s

Hey guys my problem is solved! After I deleted the project and started it again it stopped downloading on 56mb, so I tried the same thing later and it worked! Maybe my problem was because originally this project was on older version, forget to mention that, sorry.

@1thewitcher you can try the same thing. Or there is may be the same problem that I have when I tried to download FMOD from their site. They are also using Amazon AWS/S3 servers based in North America and some of that servers are banned in Russia (I am from Russia too, btw).

Ryan-Unity likes this.
  39. 1thewitcher

1thewitcher

@ryanc-unity yes, everything you've mentioned.
    In addition, it start happening when one of owr team change names for assets he commit earlier. Unity also lost path do this files.

40. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Thanks for answering all those questions. If it isn't too much trouble, could you try redownloading your project into a new directory to see if it still has a blank toolbar?

41. 1thewitcher

1thewitcher

@ryanc-unity Redownloading is working. Thanks. But this cost me to much time and my work was paralyzed. I was trying to solve this with less trouble.
    Can you also tell me what was the source of a problem and which actions lead to it?

42. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

@1thewitcher I'm glad that resolved the issue for you and I'm sorry that it put you out so much time. Do you still have the copy of your old project with the blank toolbar issue that you'd be willing to send to us so that we can try to reproduce the issue? If your project is smaller than 4GB then you could use Unity's Bug Reporter to submit your project. If you choose to do that then could you please attach the following folder with it?
    • Packages folder:
      (Mac) <username>\Library\Unity\Packages
      (Windows) <username>\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Packages
    Let me know if your project is larger than that and I can DM you with another means to share it.

43. 1thewitcher

1thewitcher

@ryanc-unity Unfortunately I can't, my project size is about 20 gb.

44. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

I understand. Send me a DM if you'd like me to help you send your project for us to look at.

45. Jordi_Unitys

Jordi_Unitys

Hi!
    I'm having the same problem with unity 2017.2.1f1, I ve already tryed all ,but nothing.

http://localhost:38000/unity/service/collab/localChanges - This site can't be reached
    http://localhost:38001/unity/service/collab/localChanges - This site can't be reached
    http://localhost:38002/unity/service/collab/localChanges - This site can't be reached

Inspecting interfaces...done
    Evaluating DNS resolution...done
    Evaluating TCP connectivity...done
    Evaluating HTTP connectivity...done
    Evaluating upload bandwidth...done
    Evaluating download bandwidth...(nothing here)

Thanks in advance!

46. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @Jordi_Unitys! For the localhost URLs, did you make sure to have Unity running when you visited them? Thank you for trying our Network Reporting Tool as well. Do you have the report that you can DM me?

47. Jordi_Unitys

Jordi_Unitys

48. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

@Jordi_Unitys thank you for checking that. We can rule out that the local changes aren't being listed correctly since they appear fine in the URL. It's simply an issue with how the toolbar is being rendered. Can you double check with me if you've tried the following too?
    • Turn off firewall and proxies.
    • Check if firewall allows these domains through:
      • *.unity.com
      • *.unity3d.com
      • *.cloud.unity3d.com
      • *.*.amazonaws.com
      • *.pubnub.com
    • Check if running more than one instance of Unity.
    • Delete your Packages folder:
      (Mac) <username>\Library\Unity\Packages
      (Windows) <username>\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Packages
    • Delete the files in:
      (Windows) AppData\LocalLow\Unity/Browser\Cache\Local Storage
      (Mac) <username>\Library\Unity\Browser\Cache\Local Storage
    • Re-download project from Cloud.
    Try the above one at a time and restart Unity to see if the Collab Toolbar becomes visible again. I apologize to ask you to go through so much. We're working on making these types of errors non-existent by updating the framework of the Collab Toolbar.

49. Jordi_Unitys

Jordi_Unitys

I tryed the folliowing solutions:

• Turn off firewall and proxies. -- same problem
    • Check if running more than one instance of Unity -- same problem
    • Delete Packages folder -- same problem and Unity project windows goes blank

• Delete the files in:
      (Windows) AppData\LocalLow\Unity/Browser\Cache\Local Storage -- same problem

• Re-download project from Cloud. -- same problem
    Sorry ,how i check if firewall allows these domains(
    • *.unity.com
    • *.unity3d.com
    • *.cloud.unity3d.com
    • *.*.amazonaws.com
    • *.pubnub.com )
    ?
    Thanks!

50. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

I really appreciate your patience in all this. You don't really need to worry about checking those domains if you tested it with your firewall turned off and it still isn't displaying.

Can you try opening Unity with the command line argument -enableCollabEventLogs to display more Collab-related logging in your Editor Logs then opening the Collab Toolbar? After that, could you look in your logs and let me know if you see any errors/warnings or anything else of interest?