Search Unity

Blackberry still supports Unity?

Discussion in 'BlackBerry' started by udik, Feb 11, 2015.

1. udik

udik

I developed Unity app for BB and tested on my Dev Alpha 2 device where it looks perfect, submitted and got rejected yesterday for Q10, Q5, Classic and Passport.

Hmm! I have submitted Unity apps in the past and they were accepted. This one is much simpler with scalable GUI that I also tested on different Androids. It almost seems like Blackberry stopped supporting Unity or the other way around..if that's the case please let us know so we won't waste time..

2. AlexThibodeau

AlexThibodeau

Unity Technologies

Do you know why the app was rejected on those devices?

Also yes Unity still is supporting BlackBerry so if you find bugs please submit them.

3. udik

udik

Yup, the rejection mentioned "It has scaling issue on the BlackBerry Q5, Q10 and Classic." I have tested on compatible Android screens and the game is scaling fine, so I assume that either Blackberry build of Unity is not scaling properly, or Blackberry's new versions/devices not supporting Unity properly. I have submitted Unity games for BB in the past and never had this issue.

Thanks,
    Udi

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  4. AlexThibodeau

AlexThibodeau

Unity Technologies

As I recall those devices have square screens. Is there anything in your project that is assuming that you have a non-square display? That would probably cause things to look squished when displayed on a square device.

Maybe you could get the BB QA to send you a screen shot of the failure?

5. udik

udik

Good point, I will ask them for screenshot..

Thanks!
    Udi

6. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

Hey Udi,

Q10, Q5, Classic and Passport do have square displays and the scaling rejection message is normally for if UI element go of the screen (I've seen it before) you have a few options:

1) Test in the Editor first, you just need to set the game screen to 720 x 720 then 1440 x 1440 and make sure it all works, this is normally enough by itself to get find and fix these sort of bugs!

2) Submit for the moment without those devices ticked, it will get you on the store, but take into account around 75% of my sales are currently to Classic and Passport!

3) Send me a bar I'll test for you if you like

4) Contact QA they are not instant responders (a few days for me) but they are very helpful

Good luck, I'd start with the Editor if I was you, you'll probably find and fix it easily.

Thanks,

Jon

7. udik

udik

Hi Jon,

Good points, I will re-submit without the Qs for now.. I guess it only leaves the Z as of now. I wish BB would provide some lab access to remotely test apps on their devices, for Android there are plenty of testing options and solid emulators. BB have a very questionable emulator with huge overhead .. they used to have pretty good one with BB 7x but they took a "new approach" .. oh well.

Unity's screen setting for testing is really misleading, if you set it to certain screen width/height and hit play and print Screen.widh and Screen.height you can see that its not even close :) not to mention that without being able to set Scren.dpi it makes no sense anyway. To be honest, with Android I have found that without having either actual devices or remote access to lab with real devices you are all but certain to get it wrong for some.

Be happy to send you the bar, what is your email?

Thanks,
    Udi

8. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

For the screen setting, your physical screen needs to be higher than the one you have entered, and the size of the game window does, so I often find undocking it to my second monitor is the best way. Alternatively for the square test normally just testing with it square helps. Anyway I'll PM you my email address. By the way its Z10, Z5, Z30 and Porsche you can publish to.