Search Unity

Blackberry 10 native gestures support?

Discussion in 'BlackBerry' started by udik, May 8, 2014.

1. udik

udik

Hi Folks,

Is there any way to make Unity3d support Blackberry 10 native gestures, such as minimize and close? Looks like while Unity3d starts up (when you get this powered by Unity3d logo) you can still minimize/close, but once your app is running all the sweeping gestures do not work anymore..

Appreciate any help,

Thanks!
    Udi

2. AlexThibodeau

AlexThibodeau

Unity Technologies

Hey there, you could use the technique described here:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/194557-Blackberry-plugins/page2?p=1362461&viewfull=1#post1362461

To access the native methods to detect when the swipe gestures are being made.

However... The minimize (card the app) and close (after carding the app) are both supported already. Just so I'm on the same page the gesture I'm talking about is the swiping upwards from the bottom bezel when I want to close an app. I use this all the time with unity... is this not working for you?

Thanks,
    Alex

3. udik

udik

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the response.. I am using Dev Alpha 2 .. maybe that's why it does not work for me.. possibly it works fine on "real" one like Z10. As I mentioned.

Once the Unity3d startup is done - i.e. the "powered by unity" is gone and my app is running - I cannot use any of the native BB10 gestures, such as swipe from bottom bezel up to minimize etc. Its pretty much dead in the water, and relies solely on whatever buttons etc I developed in Unity. Maybe it's also because I am not using Unity Pro? hmm.

I looked also at the link you provided.. could not find any hint to how to go about this issue. There are references there to including native BB10 "C" libraries and / or some 3rd parry plugins.. but at this point I am trying to keep my game simple and clean .. with native Unity code only.. if possible.

Bye,
    Udi

4. AlexThibodeau

AlexThibodeau

Unity Technologies

Hrm... that's interesting. That gesture in particular is a OS level gesture that Unity has no control over. Are you able to exit out of other apps on the device ok? Also, if your app is in landscape you'll need to swipe from one side of the phone to the other (still a bottom to top swipe gesture... just with the phone oriented differently).

Thanks,
    Alex

5. udik

udik

Hi Alex,

Yup other apps are fine.. Iet me try a Unity3d of someone else built with pro version and see if its different.. tho I don't expect it to be.. btw what BB device are you using?

Thanks,
    Udi

6. AlexThibodeau

AlexThibodeau

Unity Technologies

I've been using the z30, q10 and z10 depending on what bug I'm working on. All of them don't have this problem that you've described here. :-(

Unity pro vs unity free "shouldn't" make a difference afaik.

7. udik

udik

Hi Alex,

Figured it out.. ouch that hurts :) you were right, I managed to snick my nail at the razor thin bezel space in the dev alpha 2 when its in landscape mode and "card" the app ... don't have the z10 etc but my guess is its somewhat wider... thanks!

Bye,
    Udi