Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Black squares appearing in Progressive lightmap build

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by jjzpgg, Aug 15, 2017.

1. jjzpgg

jjzpgg

I'm lighting a scene using the progressive lightmapper, and seeing random black squares appearing on my geometry:

It appears in the directionality preview:

as well as the baked lighting preview:

Additionally it blooms like crazy when the stack is enabled:

Anyone have any ideas where this has come from? It doesn't appear when using Enlighten.

2. kemalakay

kemalakay

Unity Technologies

Hi @jzzheng

This is a known issue but could you perhaps share this project via Bug Reporter and share the ID here or send me a DM? We don't have a consistent repro yet so if you consistently get this result, then it will help us to troubleshoot the problem more efficiently.

Thanks

3. jjzpgg

jjzpgg

Hi,

Unfortunately this is a client project so I can't really share it here, however I was able to diagnose the issue. It was caused by having geometry intersecting with my wall modules. I broke up this geometry and had one section per wall module and the issue went away. Interestingly I was able to recreate the issue by pushing my wall modules down to intersect with my floor modules.

4. kemalakay

kemalakay

Unity Technologies

Hey,

Glad to hear that you sorted it out! Let us know if you run into another issue.

5. jStinson

jStinson

I've also been getting this error intermittently and haven not been able to reproduce it in a reliable way. It doesn't appear to have anything to do with intersecting geometry in my case. The only clue I have is that it tends to appear when increasing the Indirect Resolution (from 4 to 8 for example).

Sorry I don't have more specific information or a solution, but thought I'd chime in just in case anyone has seen this or figured out the cause.

6. hama-makoto

hama-makoto

I think I can reproduce the same problem, so I reported a bug (952733) with my minimum project to reproduce the problem. So please look into it to solve the problem.

upload_2017-9-22_11-41-53.png

It looks to me that an area light and a mesh of some kind causes this problem. The pair generates many black dots on the lightmap, which will be expanded to squares with the lighting filter.

upload_2017-9-22_11-42-25.png

Also I noticed the mesh has a portion that "blooms like crazy" when added post processing stack, without any GI lighting. So maybe this is a symptom of the bad kind of mesh.

upload_2017-9-22_11-31-19.png

IgorAherne and jStinson like this.
  7. kemalakay

kemalakay

Unity Technologies

Hey @hama-makoto

We have a solid reproducible for this case now so it is a known issue. A public link to track this issue can be found here: https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/product/unity/issues/guid/952800/ (for some reason the page fails to load, but should be available soon). Your contribution will also help us to test it, thanks for the update!

8. mark-007

mark-007

Hi,

@kemelakay The issue tracker says this is fixed in Unity 2017.2, but I don't believe it is. Is it fixed in 2017.3 ?

Thanks

IgorAherne likes this.
  9. appfruits

appfruits

We have the same issues.and are using 2017.2f3. Any update on this? Progressive Lightmapper works great but this kills it. It worked very good for some time but suddenly it started to pop up in our scene. Seems to be only the case with higher lighmap resolution or once we started to increase lightmap scale on smaller objects. Not sure though.

IgorAherne likes this.
  10. w_adams

w_adams

@ kemalakay I'm also still getting it in 2017.2f3 and the comments on the issue tracker suggest it's still an issue in 2017.3. Do you have a new issue tracker for this bug?

Thanks

11. kemalakay

kemalakay

Unity Technologies

Hey @mark-007 @appfruits and @w_adams

We backported the fix to 2017.3 so the issue should no longer persist in latest 2017.3 (which is currently 2017.3.0p4): https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/patch-releases

Please let know us if the bug still occurs for you.

I'll try to prioritize the backport of this fix to 2017.2 as well.

Thanks for reporting it!

12. mark-007

mark-007

Awesome... thank you - l look forward to trying it out again :)

13. jjzpgg

jjzpgg

Still getting this in 2017.3.0f3. I don't seem to get this issue when my lightmap resolution is above 30, but increasing my indirect samples above 2000 is a pretty reliable way of getting it to occur...

14. kemalakay

kemalakay

Unity Technologies

Hey @jjzpgg

Please check my message above. The issue is not fixed in 2017.3.0f3. Please try the latest patch from the link I sent above. Thank you!

Page for patch releases: https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/patch-releases

My previous message: https://forum.unity.com/threads/bla...ogressive-lightmap-build.488318/#post-3388566

15. jjzpgg

jjzpgg

Still happening in 2017.3.1f1.

IgorAherne likes this.
  16. scottgreen

scottgreen

Still hapening in 2018.2

17. fguinier

fguinier

Unity Technologies

It seems that the fix metioned above did not solve all aspect of the problem. Can you open a new bug (or reopen the old one)?

18. AlterLock

AlterLock

Unity 2018.3.4f1 in iOS and Progressive CPU or Progressive GPU, many black squares on the surface in Windows OS mode all ok. Any fix for Unity 2018.3.4f1?

Attached Files:

• img.jpg
      img.jpg
      File size:
      131.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  19. Freznosis

Freznosis

I'm not sure if this is the same issue, but I also started getting something like this today. The lightmaps just straight up refuse to bake in some areas when I use the GPU Lightmapper. I thought this was a UV Overlap issue at first, so I generated my own UVs instead of using the option in the model importer and I had the same issue. CPU Lightmapper seems to handle it just fine, but I'll just give Unity the benefit of the doubt since it's still in preview. Unity 2018.3.14f1 HDRP.

GPU
    Unity_2019-05-02_19-43-53.png

CPU
    Unity_2019-05-02_19-44-23.png

On another note I really do hate using the CPU Lightmapper because it completely cripples my PC while it's baking. I wish there was some kind of CPU Usage limiter option. *wink wink*

20. fguinier

fguinier

Unity Technologies

Is the model using submeshes or 32bits indices? If so those are not yet supported in an offical Unity release (both are landing to Unity 19.3 at the moment).

21. Freznosis

Freznosis

Submeshes indeed. Good information to know for the future though, thanks. :cool:

22. manutoo

manutoo

I have a similar issue, although not identical, with Unity 2019.1.12f1, using latest HDRP package.

Enlighten, everything is alright :

2019-08 - TE4 Stadium - Enlighten.jpg

Progressive CPU, white square visibles on the windows (zoom in to see them more clearly) :

2019-08 - TE4 Stadium - Progressive CPU.jpg

Progressive GPU, the squares are a bit less visibles :

2019-08 - TE4 Stadium - Progressive GPU.jpg

I have many warnings about UV Overlap, but it doesn't seem the case here as there is nothing red (still Progressive GPU) :

2019-08 - TE4 Stadium - Progressive GPU - UV Overlap.jpg

My lighting settings :

2019-08 - TE4 Stadium - Lighting Settings.jpg

EDIT:
    I filled the bug report #1173571, although I'm not sure it's a Unity bug, but I couldn't find how to deal with that after several hours of looking into the issue...

Raising the Lightmap Resolution from 4 to 12 lowered the frequency & size of the white squares, but raising it from 12 to 20 didn't do any significant change.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  23. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Are the artifacts visible in the baked lightmap scene view mode?

24. manutoo

manutoo

@KEngelstoft ,

everything is super white so I cannot see ; maybe your eyes will catch something better than mine, though.:)
    I'm putting the directionality as well.

2019-08 - TE4 Stadium - Progressive GPU - Baked Lightmap.jpg

2019-08 - TE4 Stadium - Progressive GPU - Directionality.jpg

2019-08 - TE4 Stadium - Progressive GPU - UV Overlap #2.jpg

25. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

If you grab 2019.3.0a4 or later you can apply exposure on the lightmap like this:
    InkedMicrosoftEdge.jpg
    The feature will change to look slightly different for 2019.3.0b1

26. manutoo

manutoo

@KEngelstoft ,
    is it long for you to check it with my project attached to the bug #1173571 ?

If yes, I'll try to grab the 2019.3 and update the project with it to do the new screenshot... :)

27. manutoo

manutoo

@KEngelstoft ,
    I just lowered my light & sky intensities, it did the trick ;)

2019-08 - TE4 Stadium - Progressive GPU - Baked Lightmap#3.jpg
    2019-08 - TE4 Stadium - Progressive GPU - UV Overlap#3.jpg

28. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Try assigning a new lightmap parameters with lower back face tolerance or use double sided materials.

29. manutoo

manutoo

@KEngelstoft ,
    my windows were already using a double-sided material, and setting it for the metal beam's material didn't help, so I lowered the back face tolerance. It still failed at 0.6 but worked at 0.5 . It makes the baking take much longer time (at least 4 or 5 times longer), so I'll have to only set it like that for final render for release.

Thanks a lot for the tip ; I don't think I could have figured it out by myself..!

BTW, linking Double-Side GI to Double-Sided HDRP is problematic when we want the material to be double-sided only for the baking.

KEngelstoft likes this.
unityunity