Search Unity

black spot issue for a friction of a second for left/right eye while head movement on oculus go

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by sapizon, Jan 29, 2019.

1. sapizon

sapizon

we have developed and archviz vr tour for oculus go and we are facing an issue where a user is seeing a block shade for a friction of a second while rotating his head left or right or unless he stable his head movement.

Is there any way we can fix this?

in some of the threads, i got to know that this is an Oculus issue, how authentic this information is?

2. enhawk

enhawk

Its a texture memory issue, same on mirage. Lower some of your texture sizes. The mobile headsets don’t have the same ram as pcs.

3. sapizon

sapizon

Thanks hawken,

I will check and see how it goes.

4. sapizon

sapizon

5. enhawk

enhawk

if you’re having problems with the asset its probably worth asking them directly.

6. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I don't believe it's a texture issue. When you briefly see black at the edges when you turn your head, it means your framerate is too low. The Go is struggling and not updating the view quickly enough.

So you need to begin by profiling. If you want your app to be in the Oculus store, it will have to maintain a steady 60 fps. If you're distributing it yourself as an APK, then it matters less, but you probably still don't want your users seeing this ugly artifact (not to mention getting nauseous, which is much more likely when your framerate is low).

7. sapizon

sapizon

@JoeStrout We disabled the Vsync and attached the script to maintain target frame rate to 60fps. Is there any workaround to maintain the framerate?

8. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

If attaching a script could do it, I'd want a copy of that magic script. :) And you can't disable VSync on the Go; vsync is just how the hardware works.

You have to just optimize your scene, starting with the profiler. Google "optimize performance oculus go unity" and I bet you'll find lots of resources.

sapizon likes this.
  9. sapizon

sapizon

Thank you @JoeStrout :) I will look into it.