Search Unity

Black screen with Vuforia when using IL2CPP ARM64 (Android)

Discussion in 'Vuforia' started by pgibouin, Feb 1, 2019.

1. pgibouin

pgibouin

Hi,

I've noticed the camera AR from Vuforia show always a black screen when ARM64 is set in Build Settings into Unity. Evrything works fine when ARMv7 is checked.

There is clearly a bug with ARM64 IL2CPP compiling mode with Vuforia / Unity. I'm using Vuforia 8.0.10 with Unity 2018.3.3 on Windows 10. I have download the last samples from the asset store (which bring also black screen when ARM64 is checked).

I have made the test with 3 different phones, Sony XPERA XA2, Samsung A5 2017 and Huawei with Android 8.0. The problem is exactly the same on the 3 phones. A clue is there is not request authorization at the app launch for the camera use when ARM64 is checked but there is the request when ARMv7 is checked. It seems there is a problem whith request authorizations when ARM64 is selected.

In August 2019, we won't have the choice, ARM64 will be our only choice to publish Android app on the Google Play Store. ARMv7 and Mono apps will be rejected by Google. Can you please see what is the problem ?

By the way, I have made a test with the following trick:

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/android-RequestingPermissions.html

Replacing Microphone in the example with Camera, Android is correctly asking me my authorization to use the camera but the screen stays black once the AR scene is loaded. The only thing wich works is to change ARM64 to ARMv7.

Thanks,

Pierre

2. meedabit

meedabit

Official Vuforia Employee Vuforia

Hello,

Vuforia Engine 8.0 SDK does not support 64-bit Android builds in Unity at this time.

The team is aware of Google's upcoming deadline and is working hard to provide support in a near-term release.

Thanks,

Vuforia Engine Support

3. dorukeker

dorukeker

Thanks for the reply. This clarifies a lot for me.

Google announced that the Android apps need to have a 64 bit version starting from August 2019.
    https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2017/12/improving-app-security-and-performance.html

Also Unity posted how to comply with those changes:
    https://blogs.unity3d.com/2017/12/20/meeting-google-play-requirements-in-the-future/

When will Vuforia add the 64 bit support so we can update out applications to meet the Google Play requirements?

henriqueranj likes this.
  4. meedabit

meedabit

Official Vuforia Employee Vuforia

Hello @dorukeker,

I've confirmed that the ticket has been resolved for our next commercial release.

Exact release date is TBD, but I would expect it within the next 30 days or less.

Thanks,
    Vuforia Engine Support

5. TomSantoro

TomSantoro

@meedabit any news on this issue?

Thanks!

6. henriqueranj

henriqueranj

meedabit likes this.
  7. BismarckKL

BismarckKL

I am using unity 2018.4.8 and vuforia 8.3.8, also getting the black screen, any help? thank

jazzta likes this.
  8. liunricht

liunricht

I also get the same issue when building and running the app on Android and it turns black. I have noticed that if my phone has turned on Wifi or mobile internet, it turns black. But if I turn off them and restart the app. It runs normal. So I wonder what the issue is. Maybe there is a conflict between AR camera and internet connection.

9. Sika_MC

Sika_MC

Vuforia

Hi @BismarckKL @liunricht Could you please try building the Core Sample app on Android and let me know if the issue is still reproducible?

If the issue is still reproducible please provide a logcat dump using "$ adb logcat AR:D Unity:D *:S" when the app starts?

Thank you.
    Vuforia Engine Support