Search Unity

1. Unity 2018.1 has arrived! Read about it here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Scriptable Render Pipeline improvements, Texture Mipmap Streaming, and more! Check out what we have in store for you in the 2018.2 Beta.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you couldn't join the live stream, take a peek at what you missed.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. ARCore is out of developer preview! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Magic Leap’s Lumin SDK Technical Preview for Unity lets you get started creating content for Magic Leap One™. Find more information on our blog!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

Black Screen/Window on Chrome

Discussion in 'WebGL' started by Jinxology, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Jinxology

Jinxology

Some of my beta testers are getting a black window in place of the game when playing in Chrome 66 and 67. It shows the loading bar and finishes loading, but at the moment it starts running, it goes to a blank black rectangle. Here's the dev console from one of the users, but I'm not sure how to interpret it. Does anyone have suggestions on how to debug this? Thanks in advance.

2. Jinxology

Jinxology

@Marco-Trivellato, curious if you have any thoughts on this? Could really use your advice! :)

3. Marco-Trivellato

Marco-Trivellato

Unity Technologies

- Can you ask them if they can run other Unity WebGL content? (for example this)
    - In the log you we print the list of webgl extension, maybe compare black canvas vs correct rendering list.

4. Jinxology

Jinxology

That tank game ran, but only for a few seconds before crashing. He's running the current version of Chrome on Windows 7 Professional. Here's the log:

5. Schubkraft

Schubkraft

Unity Technologies

Hey, tried this on our Win7 test machines with latest Chrome but can not repro this with the tanks example. Can you provide us with a bug report that contains your project or a repro project so we can repro the error from your forst post? That'd be very nice.

6. Darxide23

Darxide23

Hi all. I'm an end user, not a Unity developer, but I've been looking for a solution to this problem for months now. It's not just one Unity game, it's pretty much all of them. Any Unity game on Kongregate seems to give me a blank black box with little else when using Chrome. I'm currently using Chrome 67.0.3396.87, but as I've said this has been going on for months (at least 3 months) so it may have began with an earlier version of Chrome.

Firefox does not give me any troubles with Unity content. The Tanks thing linked above displays seemingly ok, but it is incredibly unresponsive and choppy. After closing the tab I tried going back to it only to get the message that my browser does not support WebGL. I can't get the Tanks thing to load again.

I would love for you all to find a solution to this issue and I'll help in any way I can. I do have a background as an amateur coder. I can read code for languages that I don't know and I understand debug messages, etc. Feel free to use me if you have need.

Edit:
    Here's an example of what one game looks like in Chrome:

And this is what it looks like in Firefox:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  7. Jinxology

Jinxology

8. Jinxology

Jinxology

Hey everyone,
    We've had some success debugging the troubled Windows 7 machine. Although the solution isn't perfect, it's a solution and I'm hoping we can work towards pinpointing the issue since I've seen it among other users as well.

We discovered that if someone else logged in to the PC on a different account, both my game, and the tanks game, worked. We then later discovered that if we logged in as the user having trouble and renamed the directory containing the Chrome settings at c:/Users/[username]/AppData/Local/Google/Chrome (in essence deleting it), both games worked for him! Chrome would automatically create all new settings of course, and that is what fixed it. So, somewhere within the settings, there was some flag or setting that was causing all the WebGL issues.

I should mention for posterity, we initially tried "Settings > Restore settings to their original defaults" for the troubled user, and that did not fix the problem. We had to rename that Chrome settings folder.

The downside to this solution, of course, is that the user is losing all their Chrome data (cookies, passwords, other save games, etc). Ideally, we can figure out what in the Chrome settings is causing this issue so we can flip the problem setting/flag.

(CC @Schubkraft , @Marco-Trivellato , @Darxide23 )

Darxide23 likes this.
  9. Darxide23

Darxide23

That is unfortunate. I think I can hold out and see if you find the cause so that maybe I can just clear out the offending files and let them be rebuilt instead of nuking my entire profile, which is definitely less than ideal.