Search Unity

Black screen when unity project deployed to Hololens

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by sergiocicconi, Nov 30, 2018.

1. sergiocicconi

sergiocicconi

Hi everyone,

I'm stuck on this problem with unity and, after having tried all I could think of, I really don't know what to do to solve this.

I'm working on a Augmented Reality project in Unity 2018.2.9f1. So, I use unity to develop the project, then build a solution for Visual Studio 2017 and then, via Visual Studio, deploy the project to Microsoft Hololens.

I did this in the last few months without any problem, and everything was working until 3 days ago. The project worked in the unity editor when I hit PLAY, and worked exactly in the same way on the Hololens. Then, all of a sudden, something went wrong and now, when I deploy the project to the Hololens, I have only a black screen. No holograms at all, and not even the "made with unity" logo when the app starts. However, I can still hear all the sounds, as if the app was working as normal.
    During the deploy process I get no error and no warnings.
    In unity editor everything works fine, even when I hit play.

Also, I reinstalled Visual Studio, no change; in Unity, I cleaned the cash, canceled the Library folder and had unity to recreate it, no change; I exported my original project as an asset, created a new project, imported in it my exported asset, no change.
    Hololens software is updated to the latest version. Windows 10 is updated to the latest version available.

If I run on the Hololens old versions of my project I see holograms.

Worst of all, if I create a new project in Unity and add to the scene just a cube, build a solution and deploy it to the Hololens I can see the cube and also the "made with unity" logo.

Obviously, the problem has to do with something in my project. An asset, maybe, a script, a configuration? However, the project was working fine until 3 days ago and I did not introduce big changes to it.

I'm not a developer; I'm getting familiar with unity, but I guess not familiar enough to find a solution to this situation.
    So my question is: what can I do in order to find out what is wrong with my project?

Any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks

2. ventsie

ventsie

Did you manage to find a solution? I have been stuck on this for so long I cannot find a solution. I tried everything I could think of, reinstalled unity, visual studio, updated windows, updated the windows SDK, changed all the settings I could find and nothing seems to help. I have exactly the same problem. I can hear the sounds, but I cannot see anything. No splash screen, no holograms, no errors.

3. sergiocicconi

sergiocicconi

Hi,
    I was not really able to find a solution to this. That is, I still don't know why I had the "black screen". However, I found a way to have back my holograms:
    1) create with unity a new, empty project.
    2) in BuildSetting set up the project for Universal Windows Platform.
    3) in the player, check the Virtual reality Support, but DO NOT check the WSA Holografic remoting
    4) close unity
    5) in the new folder created by unity for the new project:
    - copy all assets you find in the folder containing your previous project (the one that didn't work)
    - DO NOT COPY any other configuration file or other folders from the old project
    6) reopen unity. when unity has loaded the new assets, everything should work. Maybe you need to fix some minor issues.

this worked for me. I guess that the problems was in some configuration file/setting, or maybe a corrupted file. Who knows....
    of course, this doesn't tell you WHY you have the black screen, but it might help you in bringing back your holograms once the app is deployed to the HoloLens.

Thomas-Mountainborn and ventsie like this.
  4. omgitsmimp

omgitsmimp

Yeah, like sergiocicconi mentioned - Making sure that WSA Holographic Remoting Supported is not active did it for me.
    I wasted so much time thinking that I really needed to have that option checked in order to use Holographic Emulation>Remote to Device. IIRC - all it does is tell your Hololens-App to wait for some content to be streamed from elsewhere. Thus the black screen.

Thomas-Mountainborn likes this.
  5. ventsie

ventsie

Yes, yes, yes, yes! Thank you so much. I have been struggling with this for over a month. I never even considered unticking that box. It seems so counter-intuitive. Thank you very much. Hope this helps other people who also run into this issue.