Search Unity

Black screen on some systems (NVidia + ATI)

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Sebioff, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Sebioff

Sebioff

We're receiving reports from players recently that they only receive a black screen when running the game.
    The output log shows the following exception:
    There's a report on the issue tracker that seems to match this problem here that says "Fixed in future release" but the problem is not resolved in 2017.3.1p1 which is the latest proper release right now.
    Is this a separate issue or does "future release" mean Unity 2018?

2. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Hi,

I'm the developer who fixed that issue - I did it just 2 weeks ago. The fix is getting backported all the way to Unity 5.6, but it will take some time for it to propagate to all the branches. I cannot give any ETAs, unfortunately.

3. Sebioff

Sebioff

Ooh ok, I misunderstood that "future release" note as "it's already out there in some version and this task is done".
    Awesome! That's great news and I'll keep an eye on the patch release notes for it, thank you :)

4. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Yeah, our issue tracker isn't the most intuitive.

5. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

The fix for this landed to 2018.1.0b9, 2017.3.1p3, 2017.2.2p1, 2017.1.3p3 and 5.6.5p3.

AcidArrow likes this.
  6. Sebioff

Sebioff

:) Thanks for the fix and the update!

7. Sebioff

Sebioff

Hi @Tautvydas-Zilys,

after updating to 2017.3.1p3 I can confirm that the problem is resolved for most people, but some are still encountering it.

Here's an excerpt from a log file with it happening on 2017.3.1p3:

And the system specs in case that helps:

8. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Does that actually cause the game to stop working? Is there anything else in the log afterwards?

9. Sebioff

Sebioff

It's the same as before, so the game does work without issues (including music playing) except for the screen being black. Same as in that bug report linked in the first post above.

The log continues but there are no more errors. It goes on with:
    And then beyond that it continues with whatever our game is outputting to the log which is identical to what it would output if the game runs without any issues.

10. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Okay. Can we get another bug report on this? I find it really really weird that it's happening, so it needs proper investigation.

11. Sebioff

Sebioff

Yes, at first I assumed it was simply a case of someone not having updated the game yet, but as the log I've been sent says it's happening with the 2017.3.1p3 build.

I can't reproduce it myself and thus have no minimal repro project either - should I just submit a report without an attached project or is it necessary to upload the entire ~5.5 GB project it is happening with?

12. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

No project is fine. The exception is likely happening due to their machine setup, rather than something to do with your project.

13. Sebioff

Sebioff

Submitted as case #1017288