Search Unity

Question Black Screen in Game in Android v7.1.1

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by clamum, Oct 14, 2021.

1. clamum

clamum

I've been developing my first mobile game and testing it on my Galaxy S10 phone and it runs great.

However I want to try it on a tablet because I'm getting close to releasing it on the Play Store so I remember I had my old Galaxy Tab A (SM-T350) tablet so I wanted to try it on there. The tablet is running Android v7.1.1.

I installed the game, the main menu comes up fine, but when the game starts it's just a black screen. There is the two UI elements at the top, the game timer and player score, but the rest of the screen is black. However the game seems to be playing because I can hear the game sounds still, lol.

Was just wondering if anyone had any ideas of what could be wrong. I know Android v7 is a bit old, but it seems prudent to be able to support that. Any help would be much appreciated; this is my first game and I'm pretty much a Unity noob.

Screenshot 2021-10-13 234400.png Screenshot 2021-10-13 234442.png

2. clamum

clamum

Wow, well according to Android distribution statistics (now only available in Android Studio instead of that Google webpage), targeting Android v7.1.1 the game will only run on like 63% of devices. Holy cow, that seems weird, with the newest versions of Android being 11/12 (I dunno if 12 is actually out yet). Several years ago, Android versions that were that out-of-date like 7 is now only had a very small percentage of users, that's why I originally thought it might be pointless to even support v7.

But seems like I definitely should. Targeting Android v10 like my Galaxy S10, only 8% of users could run it.

No one has any ideas? I'm hoping it might just be one of the ten thousand graphics options in the Player Settings but I have no idea even where to begin on this. I guess I could try getting an emulator to run v8 and see if that works, although that's not ideal if I have to ignore 7.

3. clamum

clamum

Ok the Android Studio statistics must be way out-of-date; I just happened to come across this when trying to research this issue (https://gs.statcounter.com/android-...e-tablet/worldwide/#monthly-202109-202109-bar):

Untitled.png

I have an outdated version of Android Studio, I haven't used it in quite a while, but jeez I thought the screen would pull from an API, not be fricking hardcoded to the version. Fail

So I guess I don't care about v7 but I would like to support at least v8.1.

I guess I should've created this thread in the Android forum, sorry about that bois. If it could be moved that would be great.