Search Unity

Black Screen after video is shown

Discussion in 'Unity Ads & User Acquisition' started by Piflik, Apr 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Piflik

Piflik

I am currently experiencing a similar issue to these two threads (both from the same op), but I am not sure it is the same problem.
    The ads have already worked correctly, and since then I haven't touched code connected to UnityAds.

Earlier, whenever an ad finished playing or was skipped, the corresponding Google Play Store page was shown, with buttons to restart the video or return to the app. Now all I see is a black screen, sometimes with a row of 10 stars. I can return to my app with the back button, though. (sidnote: My device is set to portrait-mode, while the ads are landscape, and I notice the screen rotating before showing black. Not sure if relevant)

The workaroung from the above linked threads didn't change anything.

Logcat output:
    (I distinctly notice a cut off line near the bottom)

I/Unity ( 8175): Debug: UnityAndroid: show()
    I/Unity ( 8175): UnityEngine.Debug:Internal_Log(Int32, String, Object)
    I/Unity ( 8175): UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object)
    I/Unity ( 8175): UnityEngine.Advertisements.Utils:Log(DebugLevel, String) (at C:\Users\***\Assets\Standard Assets\UnityAds\Scripts\Advertisements\Misc\Utils.cs:12)
    I/Unity ( 8175): UnityEngine.Advertisements.Utils:LogDebug(String) (at C:\Users\***\Assets\Standard Assets\UnityAds\Scripts\Advertisements\Misc\Utils.cs:17)
    I/Unity ( 8175): UnityEngine.Advertisements.UnityAdsAndroid:show(String, String, String) (at C:\Users\***\Assets\Standard Assets\UnityAds\Scripts\Advertisements\VideoAds\UnityAdsAndroid.cs:36)
    I/Unity ( 8175): UnityEngine.Advertisements.UnityAdsExternal:show(String, String, String) (at C:\Users\***\Assets\Standard Assets\UnityAds\Scripts\Advertisements\VideoAds\UnityAdsExternal.cs:36)
    I/Unity ( 8175): UnityEngine.Advertisements.UnityAds:show(String, String, Dictionary`2) (at C:\Users\***\Assets\Standard Assets\UnityAds\Scripts\Advertisements\VideoAds\UnityAds.cs:208)
    I/Unity ( 8175): UnityEngine.Adve
    I/Unity ( 8175): onPause
    D/Unity ( 8175): Sensor : Accelerometer ( 1) ; 0.001197 / 0.00s ; ICM20610 Acceleration Sensor / Invensense
    I/Unity ( 8175): windowFocusChanged: false
    D/Unity ( 8175): [EGL] Attaching window 0:0x0​

2. Piflik

Piflik

I just found this thread which is seems to be the exact same problem I am having. No solution there, either.

Further testing shows: in the cases where the 10 stars are visible (no pattern emerging yet) the store page seems to be active, but hidden behind the black screen. I can restart the video, return to the game or open the play store app by tapping the right regions of the screen.

Additional info: (don't know if any of this is relevant)

• I haven't pushed the apk to the app-store yet, not even alpha, but I did change the bundle identifier today
    • I use Soomla for a ingame store. In combination with UnityAds this means that I have two AndroidManifest.xml files (one in Plugins/Android, the other in Plugins/Android/unityads). There is only one in the apk, though, but I can't read it. I can't say with certainty if Unity merges the two auomatically, or if it just uses one of them, but when I install it on my devices, it mentions permissions from both manifests, so I assume the former.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  3. Anjimo

Anjimo

I have the same problem with the already published game worked fine yesterday, today, a blank screen after the video.
    In addition, I found a similar bug in the popular game "silly sausage", which also uses Unity ADS

4. codingChris

codingChris

Seems to be a global issue at the moment. Black screen and 10 stars on android and white screen without anything on iOS. Happens not only in our app, but others aswell (even Crossy Road). I guess it's a server side bug...

5. Piflik

Piflik

Interestingly I have an old Version of my game running on one device, and the Ads return without problem there, so there seems to be at least something wrong with my code...(Same version of UnityAds)

Edit: I take that back. I just reverted the entire Project to the state it was at a week ago, when the Ads worked, and now they, too, show a black screen. The device running the same code, only compiled a week ago, continues to work as expected, which is odd...installing the apk from that device on others again show the black screen.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  6. Idodi1337

Idodi1337

Did anyone find a solution yet? Is it a problem with Unity Ads servers?

junchangbum likes this.
  7. Piflik

Piflik

I reported the problem to UnityAds last week, but so far I got no answer.

8. YourDownfall

YourDownfall

Got the same Problem as you guys. Found no solution too :-(

9. unity-nikkolai

unity-nikkolai

We're currently looking into the cause of this issue. Have not been able to reproduce so far.

Perhaps you can help us by answering the following questions:
    1. How often do you see the black screen when an ad is shown?
    2. Which ad campaigns are shown leading up to this issue occurring?
    3. Which country/region are you viewing ads from?
    Thanks.

10. codingChris

codingChris

Hey Nikkolai,

to answer your questions:

1. Allways. After the ad has finished, instead of a download option there's just the black screen (same on iOS, except the screen is white)
    2. All of them.
    3. Germany

The issue appeard last thursday. Since then I haven't seen any app in the store which uses UnityAds and is not affected. We didn't touch any of our code. We're using Unity 5.0.0f4 and the newest Version (at least in the Asset Store) of UnityAds.

junchangbum likes this.
  11. HeikkiTunkelo

HeikkiTunkelo

Unity Technologies

A Quick update on this issue:

We found out that our CDN (content delivery network) where all files (like the video end-card) are downloaded from, is returning mismatching content type with headers (Headers tell that content is Gzipped, but the file sent is actually not sent => Therefore UI is broken). This only happens on some countries (atleast in Germany and Russia, might be others).

We are currently fixing this, I'll update when this is fixed.

Cheers,
    Heikki

12. HeikkiTunkelo

HeikkiTunkelo

Unity Technologies

Aaand... done. Works now as supposed. Report in this thread if you still experience problems.

13. Zemingo

Zemingo

hello,
    We having the same issue with all our apps, after finishing watching the video ad there is a blank white screen on iOS (on iPhone 6 with iOS 8.1.2) and black screen on Android (Nexus 4 with Lollipop).
    The apps haven't been updated or changed.
    The same issue occurs on other games using unity ads (i.e Crossy Road downloaded from the appstore on iPhone)
    We using Unity 4.6.2f1, and testing from Israel.

EDIT: it seems to be working fine now. thank you :)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  14. codingChris

codingChris

It is fixed for me. Thanks a lot!

15. HeikkiTunkelo

HeikkiTunkelo

Unity Technologies

Seems that the problem only affected files delivered from Frankfurt datacenter for a few days.

Thanks for all the reports.

Cheers,
    Heikki

16. AlvarPernroth

AlvarPernroth

I get this problem and have been getting it for a few days now. I´m in Sweden, getting the white screen on iOS after the test video has shown. I have not yet released the game and have not tried with real videos.

17. AlvarPernroth

AlvarPernroth

Today it is working again! I hope this will not happen when the game is released :S

18. Rakeshkr590

Rakeshkr590

@HeikkiTunkelo Hi mate i am still getting this issue when UnityAds are displayed in India/Japan, Could you tell me if this is fixed or not please thank you.

19. Tofflan555

Tofflan555

1. When the video is skipped the screen always turns black and most of the times when it's not.
    2. I can only see the default unity ad.
    3. Also from Sweden.

I'm using this AdManager script with Unity version 5.1.2. I've got a Transformer Prime TF201 pad with Android version 4.1.1 for testing.

20. rewardrack

rewardrack

Hi. I have a black screen after video is shown/skipped only on Samsung (G531H, android 5.1.1) device. Black screen shown in in the same orientation in which video was skipped/completed. After rotate to another orientation as well as for the first display of ads everything is OK - post video UI displays correctly at both landscape and portair.
    This is my android manifest. My game supports only landscape orientation.
    I am using Unity 5.2.1f1 , Unity ads 1.3.2, API 23 SDK for build.

SOLVED!!
    change "android:theme" to another theme in Plugins/Android/unityads/androidmanifest.xml . I use Theme.Holo.Light and it is work.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  21. yrouapps

yrouapps

unity ads dont show use from morrocco black screen AND GAME CRACH pls can u help
    script UNITY 5.3.4F
    using UnityEngine;
    using System.Collections;
    using UnityEngine.Advertisements;

public class adsstart : MonoBehaviour
    {
    //!UNITY_ADS // If the Ads service is not enabled...
    public string gameId; // Set this value from the inspector.
    public bool enableTestMode = true;

IEnumerator Start()
    {
    // !UNITY_ADS // If the Ads service is not enabled...
    if (Advertisement.isSupported)
    { // If runtime platform is supported...
    Advertisement.Initialize(gameId, enableTestMode); // ...initialize.
    }
    // Wait until Unity Ads is initialized,
    // and the default ad placement is ready.
    while (!Advertisement.isInitialized || !Advertisement.IsReady())
    {
    yield return new WaitForSeconds(0.5f);
    }

// Show the default ad placement.
    Advertisement.Show();
    }
    }

22. JuergenH

JuergenH

The problem occurs massively in Unity Ads 2.0.3 (Unity 2017.3). This is a disaster, an active app of mine is affected.

23. JuergenH

JuergenH

So found error, I accidentally activated the option 'Graphics Jobs (Experimental)'. This then leads to the said error.

24. pankaj8958

pankaj8958

getting same Issue on using Interstitial Ads | AdMob on every count, Scenario is if any interstitial ads are playing soon after it if any UI screen is opening some of the Images are turning into black patch, and wherever i am using those sprites there also they are coming as same. and it remains throughout the game until its not quit and launched

25. chronicseven

chronicseven

Same thing happens sometimes on Android. Ads viewing from Turkey.

26. chanfui

chanfui

Still happen in Unity 2019.3.14.f1(personal)

27. iftikhar101

iftikhar101

After 10 years it's still happening

28. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

@iftikhar101

There have been significant changes to the Ads SDK since this thread was opened, so the problem is unlikely to be the same as the original issue.

If you are experiencing an issue with the Ads SDK, please create a new thread and provide as much information as possible. The following information would be helpful:
    • Specific details about the issue you are seeing
    • Are you building your game with Unity, XCode, or Android Studio?
    • If Unity, which version are you using?
    • Which version of the Ads SDK are you using?
    • Can you share the code you are using to integrate Unity Ads?
    • Can you provide a device log from your app when Unity Ads is initialized?
    • Are you using mediation? If so, which version of the mediation SDK and adapter are you using?
    • How pervasive is this problem? Is it reproducible 100% of the time or do you have metrics on how often it happens?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.