Search Unity

Black growing dot eats up the entire screen bug

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by BigRookGames, Mar 13, 2020.

1. BigRookGames

BigRookGames

I am experiencing a problem where a tiny part of the screen turns black and then anytime the character moves it gets bigger until it eats the entire screen. What is going on here? It randomly happens and seems to happen about 1 time per minute while playing. If i look the other way and get the black portion out of the field of view then it is no longer there until it shows up again. Any ideas?

2. ALaramee

ALaramee

Old post but for those who end up here, this issue (or a very similar issue) has been reported.
    And here is a similar forum post.

3. chemicalcrux

chemicalcrux

This kind of smells like a NaN artifact. If one pixel gets a screwy value, then it'll propagate to other pixels that sample its value.

Does checking Stop NaNs on the Camera do anything?

upload_2023-3-23_15-27-51.png

(oh, wait, this is a very old post, so the OP might not be quick to answer :p )

DevDunk likes this.
  4. KangManJyn

KangManJyn

I have the same problem in my project.
    Unity 2021.3.19f1, HDRP, DLSS, Direct11, window10 game.
    A black screen appears intermittently on some PCs.
    It could be a shader NaN issue.
    Enable 'Stop NaNs' in camera component options.
    My project is still reporting the same symptoms.
    I am looking for a solution to the problem.

5. seoyeon222222

seoyeon222222

6. Julien_Unity

Julien_Unity

Unity Technologies

One thing to note with the "Stop NaNs" option is that it's only fixing the consequence and not the cause.
    This pass has a cost (a small one but that's still a cost) so you may not want to use that in production.
    It's almost always a problem with user content like Shader Graph doing division by zero with values coming from textures for example. So the proper way to fix that is to use a tool like Render Doc, do a capture and try to track the objects that does this (this can be helped with the debug mode that shows NaN in HDRP as well). Once you know which objects output NaNs you need to find in the shader where this could come from.

Remy_Unity likes this.