Search Unity

Black graphical glitches and crashes with a static environment

Discussion in 'VR' started by difficultnerd, Nov 4, 2018.

1. difficultnerd

difficultnerd

Unity 2018.2.14f1
    Oculus Rift
    Oculus App v 1.31.0.686553
    Nvidia GeForce 1060, driver 416.16

I'm working on a proof of concept. II started with the new VR template, deleted the sample scene, built a scratch-graphics environment (3d cubes mostly, a plane, baked lighting and some "basic water" from the standards assets). There are no scripts (yet) in the project, so it felt like a good time to test.

When running in the editor there is some tracking oddness where from time to time the tracking kind of glitches. When running in the editor, the project is running at about 103-115 frames per second.
    After using "build and run" there is a black "flickering" across the edges of my eyes. I don't how to describe it. Then after a while (around 10 seconds or so) it just crashes back to Oculus home in the HMD, but on the monitor it's flipped upside-down and seems to be trying to draw objects in my screen.

Anyone have any ideas on what I'm doing wrong/need to fix?

2. difficultnerd

difficultnerd

The good news is that I think I've figured out what's happening, the bad news is that I don't really understand it.

The VR example project seems to be based around the light-weight render pipeline, and the standard efforts are incompatible with the new scriptable render engine.

So, using shader-graph I wrote my own water shader. It's not great, but hey we have to start somewhere.

3. difficultnerd

difficultnerd

Still having tracking issues. So much complexity. :)