Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Voxeland - Voxel Terrain Tool

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Wright, Jun 25, 2013.

1. lulzadr

lulzadr

Thanks for the reply! I purchased both last night and am in awe at how flawlessly and easily they work. I had used Voxel Farm in the past but was very displeased with the lack of documentation/tutorials on how to use certain features. So thank you very much for providing plenty of tutorials and assistance to the noobies!

A little backstory - I've always dreamed of creating my own video game and I can finally see that dream is beginning to come true, although there is much work left to do and many days of learning and trial & error. I began this journey just a few weeks ago so bear with me if I ask questions that may seem silly.

My dream game is intended to be a voxel survival game, something along the lines of 7 Days to Die or Empyrion as those are my two favorite games. I'm not sure which direction I'd like to take yet as I'm still in the process of learning to use Unity and other development programs. So for now it is more of playing with all the new tools.

So assume I have my terrain complete, how would I go about adding the ability to build structures in playmode? Is it as simple as making cubes and then texturing them? Do I need some other assets or coding knowledge to make them work like that? Is there anything in Voxeland I can use to make that happen? Basically I'd like my players to be able to create houses/buildings/whatever with say 1x1 blocks of different materials. These blocks would need to have different hit points assigned to them based on which material is used. I am trying to stay away from my buildings being one solid entity but rather a collection of hundreds or thousands of blocks. I've tried searching on Google for information regarding this but I don't think I'm wording it correctly as I can't seem to get the search results that I want.

Thank you again!
    -Lulz

P_Jong likes this.
  2. Wright

Wright

Voxeland is a terrain engine, it cannot build houses out of the box. I've made a house building engine to order for some project once that worked well with Voxeland 4. So I admit that it's possible, but requires an advanced scripting level and Voxeland knowledge. Unfortunately I can't share the code - I've signed an NDA.

3. hoodoo

hoodoo

I'm currently exporting my Voxeland meshes to OBJ format and attempting to take that, simplify it to some extent and then apply materials. The problem is that the materials don't really look right, so I'm assuming this is because the UV mapping is incorrect. Is there a process that can be done to make the UV mapping correct?

P_Jong likes this.
  4. gn0ll

gn0ll

I am having an issue when when I "rebuild" my terrain, all my changes are lost (I have spent a few hours getting this terrain perfect).

After I got the error, I didn't save, reloaded the scene and my scene is intact. However, if I add / remove blocks or rebuild the terrain, it reverts back to a previous state. Any idea how I can recover my scene?

I tried saving the Data, and reloading, but this doesn't work. Please help! (Feel free to send me a PM)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  5. Wright

Wright

hoodoo, Voxeland does not use UV mapping. The triplanar shader is used instead. If you are going to export objects, change (optimize) them with some other tool and then import back to Unity and use together with Voxeland - just skip UV step, it should work fine with no UV channel at all.

You got the error in the console or you are about your issue in general?
    Are you using an external data file? If so you need to save a scene or a project to write your changes.
    Just to be sure: you are talking about "Rebuild", a button at the top of Voxeland's inspector, not "Generate"? It's the generate button that removes all of the changes (obviously, it generates a terrain, can't be otherwise), but Rebuild should not do so. Just worked with Voxeland yesterday and used rebuild quite often - everything seemed to be okay.

6. gn0ll

gn0ll

Yeah, essentially my scene is in this state:

1. Voxeland terrain looks perfect
    2. If I press the "Rebuild" button at the top right it reverts back to an old state (losing a few hours of work)
    3. If I edit the voxeland terrain at all it reverts back to an old state (guess it calls rebuild after I edit)
    4. If I try to save the terrain data (under settings), saving that data and reloading does not work

- I am not getting any errors in the console.
    - I do understand that the 'generate' button will overwrite my terrain, as it will just use the generate settings to make me a new terrain.

I have been using voxeland a ton over the last few weeks, so I have a pretty good idea how everything works (I don't think I am making a simple mistake). Obviously something must have happened to cause things to get out of sync.

Is there any way to rebuild the terrain data using the data stored in the chunks? Right now I am just trying to save my work somehow, since I lost a few hours. If there is nothing I can do that's fine. I will just be more careful about saving my terrain data (as a backup) every few hours (maybe that is a good habit anyways?)

Thanks for the help.

7. Wright

Wright

That definitely should not happen, and I've just checked both demo and new scenes, and haven't lost any change after rebuild. Does this happens in demo? If not - then it's something scene specific - so could you please email me the scene?

8. cookimage

cookimage

If your terrain is black what would the problem be?

9. Wright

Wright

Is your terrain black in demo scene or in a new scene with newly created Voxeland object?

10. cookimage

cookimage

in demo scene and new scene

11. Ascensi

Ascensi

@Wright are you still on Gitlab? I haven't seen any activity there. Have you finished the manual and have now started on Megasplat integration? thanks.

12. Grimjack2600

Grimjack2600

similar to @cookimage, after upgrading to Unity 2017.1.2f1, all of my voxeland land textrures are now black (image 1).

This seems related to the default triplanar texture -- If I attach another texture to the Materials area, things look fine.

Because the grass is also handled via the voxeland triplanar texture, the grass objects are also rendering black (image 2).

Hope this helps!

Attached Files:

13. Wright

Wright

I'm writing a google doc draft from my nettop while I'm on a sick leave, just to avoid waisting my time laying in bed. Feel free to add your edits or comments, but don't expect much of it since it's a two days work. I expect to finish the documentation within a week. Sorry for the delay with the docs.

Grimjack2600, cookimage, what is your OS?
    What Unity version have you used before 2017.1.2? Was it okay there?

14. Grimjack2600

Grimjack2600

I was using 2017.1.0 (I'm not sure what the f# was for that build, maybe f3?) on Windows 10.
    You helped me get the mapmagic and voxel land integration going yesterday via email actually -- however, the application wouldn't build and Unity support suggested that this was a known bug in that version which the upgrade fixed, so I upgraded. Now the build works, but the triplanar textures are black, as mentioned earlier.

(also, clearly sorry to hear your sick. take it easy and don't stress about this too much on my behalf -- unless you can replicate. This task is 100% optional for me at the moment and is actually a distraction from work I should be doing!)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  15. Grimjack2600

Grimjack2600

for completeness, I've also installed the current beta build to see if this is version specific. The behavior in the beta is odd as well, but decidedly different from the old version and the current version.

See the image attached for details.

Basically, the voxel render center does not render, however, distance objects render just fine.

Now, I did figure out a way to make the terrain render correctly again in the beta. Setting the Main Material in Voxeland to use only the triplanar and far layer options corrected the missing land mass. Enabling Horizon causes the central land to be non-visible. Soon as I can. I'll test again in the current product Unity to see if altering these check boxes resolves anything with the black texture.

Attached Files:

P_Jong likes this.
  16. Grimjack2600

Grimjack2600

Disabling the Far Layer and Horizon for the main texture in 2017.1.2f1 did not resolve the black texture issue.

17. Philanthrofist

Philanthrofist

Hello Denis,

I'm still having problems with Voxeland. Land blocks with an index greater than 7 render as black.

I am using Unity 2017 on Windows 10 using the Direct3D graphics API. I can replicate this bug by doing the following:

Create a Voxeland game object. Add 9 land blocks, and assign textures (normals aren't necessary for this test). Generate using noise, and select the 9th land block (index 8) as Type. The land block renders black. Changing it to any landblock type lower than 8 will render correctly. Any landblocks added (with an index greater than 7) will also render black.

This behavior is the same when using Map Magic to generate the Voxeland terrain.

I have double checked that I am not using OpenGL (as poking around I noticed it had a limit of 8 textures I believe), and I am able to see all the textures in the inspector for the Voxeland/Land material for all 20 slots, but the material preview at the bottom shows black sections.

Any help or advice on what I might be doing wrong would be greatly appreciated. I'd be interested in knowing if anyone else can reproduce the bug I'm experiencing.

Thanks,
    Tyrone

P_Jong likes this.
  18. Philanthrofist

Philanthrofist

Sorry, I didn't do a very good job of reading about the problems Grimjack was having. I am not having a problem with all land blocks. Only landblocks above index 7. The exact unity I'm using at the moment is 2017.1.1p4 although I have had this problem will all versions of Unity 2017. I will double check earlier versions if I have a chance. The reason I would like to have more working textures is to better take advantage of Map Magics biomes feature, which works great with Voxeland save for the limited number of textures.

I'm also sorry to hear you are sick. I hope you feel better soon!

Thanks Again,
    Tyrone

19. Philanthrofist

Philanthrofist

I can confirm that the bug I described occurs for me in Unity 5.6 as well (5.6.2f1). Sorry, I could not check if I get the same problems in 2017.1.2f1 as described by Grimjack, as I don't have it yet.

20. crimsonmortis

crimsonmortis

Sure this has been asked many times but searching and google has not led me to the answers I want.

I am using Gaia to make my scenes right now but I want run time digging and mining. I will be purchasing a voxel engine tonight and was curious about ore/game object/resource placement. Can I use Gena (spawner) to place them or would I do this with Voxeland noise generation passes? Besides minecraft and 7 days I have had little experience modding or working with voxels. Just can't take the basic unity terrain no matter how pretty it looks with aquas, enviro, and such.

21. Wright

Wright

Actually you can use Voxeland with Aquas and Enviro. But can't edit it with Gaia and Gena. It works in an absolutely different way rather than the standard terrain, it has no heightmap or splatmap (control textures) and that stuff, it has a voxel bloack data instead - a losless-compressed 3D array of bytes. None of the terrain editing tools except Voxeland (and MapMagic) can work with it. Voxeland has a very simple terrain generator, I doubt it can place the ore whatever you'll make it with the objects or land type. MapMagic can, but it costs nearly as much as Voxeland itself.

I confirm that something's wrong with a Voxeland shader in Unity 2017.1.2, while in Unity 2017.1.1 it all works like charm. I'll try to find out what happened ASAP.

EDIT: the bug is gone after recompiling the shader. Just right-click on Voxeland\Shaders\Land in project explorer and press "Reimport". Might be some Unity upgrade-related stuff.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  22. crimsonmortis

crimsonmortis

So I could go into the scene and manually place ores/rocks etc. through the editor?Using Voxeland.

23. Philanthrofist

Philanthrofist

The proposed bug fix does not correct the bug I am experiencing (which is not the same as Grimjack's bug). Again, this occurs in 5.6 as well as 2017.

Your health is obviously a much greater priority than a few bugs in an otherwise inspired piece of software, and it's possible I am the only one having this problem. I am posting here in the hopes that other users might be able to reproduce the bug. If it just me then I can focus on what I might have already missed. However if it is a bug in the software I'm sure it's something you'd like to address when you are feeling better.

The step needed to reproduce the bug in a fresh new project are posted above. Please keep in mind that it doesn't require having 9 unique textures. Repeating the included Voxeland textures (ie using the cliff and grass textures again for textures for land blocks 6-9) is enough to reproduce the bug.

Any help from the author or the community in testing this bug would be greatly appreciated.

Brandon_Powell likes this.
  24. Coltenney

Coltenney

Where can I find documentation for what methods to use when it comes to digging and placing handled via scripting?

25. Wright

Wright

crimsonmortis, yep, it's possible to place objects using the Voxeland the way you place the standard blocks like ground or grass.

Philanthrofist, I've got this bug fixed for the upcoming version. It's still in beta though, I've got to solve some serialization-related problems first (the terrain becomes white on scene save until the next rebuild). But you can join the beta by emailing me your order number.

Coltenney, I'm working on documentation literally now. You can see the four new pages appeared on GitLab wiki yesterday, and I plan to get to the short API reference to the end of this week.

P_Jong likes this.
  26. Philanthrofist

Philanthrofist

Thanks for the reply Denis; you never fail to deliver! Email is on its way.

27. Grimjack2600

Grimjack2600

Agreed, thanks for the recompile advice on the shader, that fixed it up without having to push everthing to the beta!

Now to dig in deep and start working on a water solution.

P_Jong likes this.
  28. Coltenney

Coltenney

Is it possible to use a tool like shader forge to create triplanar shaders to use with the terrain? If so, would it be as easy as just changing the terrain shader reference in inspector? Are there additional steps or concerns?

29. Wright

Wright

Yep, you can use the custom shaders with Voxeland. The only additional step I'd like to suggest is turning Color Channels (RTP) Mode in settings.
    By the default mesh texture blending information (i.e. what block texture should be used at current mesh surface) is stored in UV channels. They are cunningly encoded to store 32 channels in 4 float2 values, I guess it would be a problem to decode them. Using color channel mode will store texture blending information without any encode in vertex color data.

30. cookimage

cookimage

Doing the re-import does not work for me, I am using unity 5.5.0f3 . I also use UFPS and UFPSMuntiplayer in my project. Not sure if those are creating conflict with the shader but don't think they could really. In a fresh project with just voxeland it seems to be fine till a restart Unity. Just black terrain.

31. Wright

Wright

Let me make it clear: in a fresh project (only Voxeland present) you open a demo scene and can see the textures on the terrain. But when you save this the scene and restart Unity the terrain is black? And it's still black after you press Rebuild button?

32. cookimage

cookimage

yes that's correct.

33. Wright

Wright

It's really an odd thing. Could you please email me the saved scene?

34. Fdudka

Fdudka

Hi There,
    I'm suddenly getting something i don't how to fix and your help would be amazing. Things are getting saved and i don't want them to be saved...

Example : I dig during run time (in editor or on a build) the game calling land.SetBlocks(). If i get out of PlayMode or a build and come back, what was dug gets automatically repeated. How can i disable the saving of the voxel Land.

I created my own saving and loading for the game and it works flawlessly. But now with the automatic voxel land saving my game gets undesired tunnels.

These are my settings:

NormalMode
    https://ibb.co/f9mho6
    https://ibb.co/bSKfam

DebugMode
    https://ibb.co/hMhNo6
    https://ibb.co/jRUfam

Thank you

35. Wright

Wright

Your voxel terrain data is stored as a separate asset. The asset is like a prefab, material or the standard terrain data - the changes made during the playmode are not reverted once you exit this mode. The latest Voxeland version has a "Release" feature that abandons the asset file and stores the data back in scene.

36. Wright

Wright

I'm making a new grass shader for Voxeland - the one that will use the texture arrays (an thus will have 256 possible grass types instead of 16) and just wanted to share some results:
    NewGrass1.jpg

37. Jeremy-Borton

Jeremy-Borton

All the grasses look amazing! I think I asked this before, but because I want to preload the map for multiplayer needs instead of loading it during run time, how would I get the Voxeland mesh? I'd like to use Voxeland to build the base mesh of my landscape, and then edit it externally. I'll figure it out, but it'd be nice to just click a button like I think version 4 had.

38. trilobyteme

trilobyteme

I've just downloaded and installed the Voxeland 5.2.0 update, and it threw a bunch of hard errors in Unity 5.6.4p1 on Mac. I tried removing it and clearing the console, then re-downloading and re-installing, and then MapMagic was having trouble as well.

Next step, remove both assets, re-download and re-import just Voxeland, and I get the following hard stop errors:
    Assets/Voxeland/Editor/VoxelandEditor.cs(304,18): error CS1061: Type `Voxeland5.Layout' does not contain a definition for `DrawWithBackground' and no extension method `DrawWithBackground' of type `Voxeland5.Layout' could be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?
    Assets/Voxeland/Editor/VoxelandEditor.cs(309,18): error CS1061: Type `Voxeland5.Layout' does not contain a definition for `DrawWithBackground' and no extension method `DrawWithBackground' of type `Voxeland5.Layout' could be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?​

Once I pulled the entire Voxeland folder, I was able to re-import MapMagic World Generator 1.8.4 and it stopped throwing errors. Any idea on a fix?

39. Wright

Wright

Version 5.2.0 is out - it brings the texture arrays shaders - for both land and grass. It means there are no more 8(10) channels limitation - the maximum number of blocks type that could be blended together is 24.
    Moreover, it comes with a new documentation - it's a copy of gitlab wiki, but some might find the pdf manual more useful.

There is a toggle "Save meshes with scene" in settings. Enable it, press "Rebuild" button - and all of your meshes will be loaded instead of generating. Any change you make with Voxeland will re-bake chunk. You can even remove or disable Voxeland component.

trilobyteme, perform a clean install of both MapMagic and Voxeland. I can't wrap my head around the how Unity updates the assets - some of the scripts could be updated while others couldn't.

Jeremy-Borton and P_Jong like this.
  40. trilobyteme

trilobyteme

I removed both folders completely before installing, and it still coughed up the errors. I had been hoping that based on the info in the error message you might have an idea of what to change in those two lines, or possibly a replacementVoxelandEditor.cs file.

If I'm going to have to start a fresh project and then manually rebuild my entire project (tens of gigabytes) every time one of these two updates, that's going to be a problem.

P_Jong likes this.
  41. Jeremy-Borton

Jeremy-Borton

I was looking at the different modes in the wiki, but I don't see a baked mode option while using Voxeland in unity.

My tutor doesn't like that the static voxeland terrain shows 3-4 million tris. So I was planning to use a very small static terrain of like 30-60 to make a cave and cut a hole in the unity terrain and put it there. only 100-200 k tris. Then I could have different voxeland objects around my terrain and deactivate them when out of view distance.
    But making a small feature object, the chunk size is limited to being 30 or 60 and nothing in between. It doesn't automatically grow as I build outward. It seems like there's a lot of excess tris that I don't want, outside of a cave. I also wish there was a mini detail block that I could use for detailing... How do i bake my small features? Not just with the scene in a bytes data object, but in a fbx or something that I can externally edit? I could use FBX exporter, but I'd prefer being able to do it in Voxeland. And even then, I wish I could just have the Voxies that I've built on the terrain instead of the whole terrain that's packed with it which results in 100-200 thousands of tris.

I just really really wish I could build off from a single bump and make an object with it, or add to the single bump and then dig into to it to make a cave. Save it as a prefab and get really cool landscape features to put into my unity landscape. It's so hard to make them in external programs which have no concept of scale... I'd rather use unity terrain just because it's more performant, than using the mesh colliders that voxeland uses on the whole terrain. But if I could use this to make big landscape feature objects within my landscape such as caves, rock arches, and big rock formations, and place them on my unity terrain, it'd be awesome. Even if it was a separate asset called Voxefeatures. I'd buy it. And I wouldn't care how many tris it used to make it, just as long as it produced an fbx that I could decimate with a different asset and then texture it. This is something I really need. Probuilder I can't use for this (I much prefer doing all my geometric stuff in Sketchup anyhow and export the obj files with Sketcheducations plugin and maya auto uv)
    Voxeland is so fun to use, and fast and artistically (how do i say, it lets you flow with the inspiration) lol I just really need to make landscape feature objs rather than a whole landscape.) Thanks for your consideration.

P_Jong and ftejada like this.
  42. Austin_Rhymer

Austin_Rhymer

I'm looking into purchasing a voxel engine from the Unity Asset store. If I go with Voxel Land, do I get access to the source code? Also, do I have full rights to use/modify the code in a production product? What are the usage restrictions? Thanks!

43. Austin_Rhymer

Austin_Rhymer

Actually, I found this link from Unity which seems to explain most of it. However, I would like to know if we get access to the source code for Voxel Land and are allowed to modify it.

44. MakeGames2

MakeGames2

Yes you do get the source code and can modify it. The developer can even provide gitlab access for you to download the latest dev snapshots if you email or pm them. There's some documentation on the wiki there as well. You can also report issues you have there.

45. Wright

Wright

Austin_Rhymer, here is the whole point of Asset STORE End User License Agreement, Appendix 1, 2.2:
    Voxeland is not a service SDK, so yes, you can modify the asset, including the source code. And yes, Voxeland comes with the full source code. But keep in mind that you cannot distribute the changed code except that as an integral part of your game.
    Personally I have nothing against changing the code, I think it's a common practice - at least I'm aware of Subnautica guys who took Voxeland and changed it so deeply that I don't really know if anything left here from the original :)

And speaking of licensing, there is one more important thing to mention:
    Jeremy-Borton, thanks, I've added changes to the docs: the baked mode is equivalent to Static mode with Save Meshes with Scene feature enabled in Settings.

Yeah, I'm thinking about a special Voxeland version with one chunk only that could be used as stones, cave entrances, etc. And, exactly as you said, it is sculpted from the single block.
    NewShader.jpg
    Don't really know how to call it. Voxelump?

But still I'm just experimenting with it. Gonna make it free for all Voxeland users.

trilobyteme, unfortunately it's not just two lines. It's your scripts that have not been updated for some reason, so some of them were from the old version, and some from the new one. The new scripts could not find some classes and methods that were added and vice versa. I've had this issue a couple of times on my test project. I'd rather say it's not frequent. Don't really know what causes it - some asset store stuff, maybe.

46. Austin_Rhymer

Austin_Rhymer

Shiny. I have been a professional developer for 15 years now [edit - man I feel old all of a sudden], except it has all been in complex business logic calculations, like loan amortization, and complex web UI. Not really a graphics buff, but am way beyond novice in coding. I need a jumping off point and just want to make sure I can get in and really screw it up... er... make any changes I might want.
    And the one license is fine since I am a one man act at this point.
    I can tell you right off the bat - this product is getting at least three stars when I buy it tomorrow if for no other reason than the fantastic and prompt forum feedback. THANKS!

47. BenWoodford

BenWoodford

Bit the bullet and purchased this in hope that it would meet my needs. Though, while I'm wo
    rking my way around it I do have one minor gripe:

The fields are all incredibly difficult to read in dark mode. The white background of the fields coupled with the fairly light-grey font colour makes it very difficult to read without highlighting the field. Is this how it's meant to look?

upload_2017-10-31_11-53-54.png

Next question: What's the easiest way to brush without using CoordDir? Rather than using screen space raycasts to work out where to paint I'm using Vive controllers and a sphere to create blocks inside that sphere so the brush has a physical presence within the world. I see SetBlocks has been removed so what's now the best way to create a rounded volume of blocks at an arbitrary location on the terrain? Not necessarily attached to other terrain either, I may want to paint voxels in the air too.

EDIT: Ah, cracked that one by producing my CoordDir manually using offset coordinates from the origin of the terrain. Issue now is, it doesn't update the terrain during playmode (and after I come out of play mode) until I click "Rebuild". Ideally I want it updating live as I paint the terrain at runtime. I have it set to Static for both modes and and Edit in Playmode is enabled.

EDIT2: Keeping my previous discoveries in case it helps others. It starts brushing but only if I click "Rebuild" first while in play mode. This also exhibits the same behaviour in edit mode after coming out of play mode. For now I'm forcing a rebuild on start. Not sure if this identifies a deeper issue though.

So far so good overall. If anyone has any tips on how to speed up brushing at runtime I'm all ears. Right now it feels slightly sluggish. Perhaps some way of deferring the collider generation, stuff like that. When editing I don't actually need the collider until the user switches out to place physics-based objects instead really.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  48. utharlac

utharlac

Edit: It's not as straight forward as I thought, the import process is doing something else weird. All I can tell is that the compile errors flipflop depending on the import order

trilobyteme, I was able to get a working install of both Map Magic and Voxeland by making sure that I did not reimport files that had already been imported. They seem to be sharing common assets within their respective Demo folders. This causes an overwrite and why those particular errors are showing up.

I hope that helps, happy coding.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  49. Wright

Wright

Theoretically that should not happen - each asset should use it's own Demo folder (otherwise they will not work standalone). But I will check it, thanks!

BenWoodford, I'll take a look at the fields issue on the weekend, when I'll get my hands on Unity Pro. The odd thing that the selected field (Mesh Margin) seems to be displayed correctly, while other fields that use the same methods - doesn't.

Have you looked into Editing Terrain with Scripts?

50. BenWoodford

BenWoodford

@Wright I haven't thoroughly deciphered the layout styling code you have but it looks like there isn't a Pro version of the field background anywhere. They all use DPLayout_Field.png but only for unselected fields. I've copied DPLayout_LayerInactive to DPLayout_Field to maintain my sanity for now.

I have looked at the editing terrain stuff, and I'm using Alter and that's all working fine now. I'm just looking for any way to speed up the brushing process as the delay makes it feel quite unnatural in VR right now. Ideally I'd like to get it closer to this speed: https://twitter.com/Alientrap/status/868148920035274753

I am aware that to make it look that organic I'll need to decrease the block size (is the best way to do that just to scale down the entire thing? Or is there a better way?) but the rebuilding of chunks when brushing does seem to take a while too (relatively speaking, it's less than a second but still makes brushing feel sluggish in VR)