Search Unity

Black camera on specific devices. Tracking works fine

Discussion in 'Vuforia' started by Freaking-Pingo, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Freaking-Pingo

Freaking-Pingo

We have made an application that works on multiple devices but there are still some that displays a black camera image. Tracking, however, seems to be still functional despite no camera image is showing. The application also works fine for iOS devices.

One of the devices that I am trying to debug with is a Sony Xperia XA1. The phone is running Android-version 7.0. We are building using Unity 2017.3.1p1, Vuforia 7.0.47 and a Mac running HighSierra.

We have tried the following without successe:
    • Set Camera Device Mode to MODE_DEFAULT
    • Set Camera Direction to CAMERA_BACK
    • Tried forcing the target API level to a lower version
    • Disabled Mutlithreaded Rendering
    • Disabled Graphics Jobs (Experimental)
    • Updated to the latest Android SDK [Android API 27]
    • Updated to the latest JDK [jdk1.8.0_161.jdk]
    • Tried building the Vuforia samples downloaded from the Unity asset store but yielded the same result.
    I looked through Logcat:

It tells me that Vuforia was successfully initialised:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Unity   : Vuforia initialization successful
    and there was only a few messages that could suggest a problem:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. CameraDevice::getCameraCalibration(): Failed to get camera calibration because the camera is not initialized.
    Code (CSharp):
    1.  SeninfDrvImp: [setSeninfNCSI2]Err( 2029):CSI-1 calibration failed!, NCSI2Config Reg 0x44=0x0, 0x48=0x0.
    Lastly, Logcat spammed the following:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  2. bug5532

bug5532

I think I'm having the same problem, but for me it's just on some iOS devices. Also rather than a black camera, I get the "Made with Unity" splash screen. Also if I minimize the app and then reopen it, it will show the camera for a second before showing me the splash screen again. Tracking is still working. Sometimes it does show a black screen instead of the splash screen.

I'm running Unity v2017.3.0f3. And have this problem on an ipad air (11.0.3) and an iPhone 6+ (11.2.5).

Any suggestions? It is working fine on my android devices and lots of other iOS devices, including newer and older.

3. aferriss

aferriss

I also ran into this today. On iPhone SE running iOS 11.3 I couldn't get a camera background, but with an iPhone 7 on 11.2 it worked fine.

I got similar errors to OP

Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 1.34.19 PM.png

EDIT: I downgraded to 11.2.5 on my SE and now things seem to be working, so seems like at least for me it was an issue with iOS versions.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  4. bug5532

bug5532

5. Freaking-Pingo

Freaking-Pingo

Yeah, this solves the problem for iOS devices but it is not a viable solution for Android devices experiencing the same problem.

6. Vuforia-Strasza

Vuforia-Strasza

Official Vuforia Employee Vuforia

7. Freaking-Pingo

Freaking-Pingo

After some further testing we have found the following:

• We have tried creating the most simple app possible with Vuforia, where we simply just imported the standard Vuforia package and added the ARCamera to the scene. On most of our phones it works as expected and displays the camera image but on the Sony Xperia we are still seeing a black image.
    • It appears after approx 50-60 seconds of blackscreen the app seems to crash.
    • I have send a PM to @Vuforia-Strasza including a Verbose logcat file. There is quiet a lot of junk in the file but i believe you can filter out what is necessary for you.
    • We have planned a live test of our project this monday, so if there exist a temporary fix for the problem I would welcome it very much.

8. michaelklenk

michaelklenk

I'm facing the exyatly same problem. Black Background, Object Reco with the vuforia demo app works as expected and the app crashes after about 50s

Here a screenshot of my test.

I working also with an Sony XA1 Phone.
    Android: 7.0
    Vuforia Verion 7.0.47
    Unity 2017.3.1.f1

Thanks @Freaking-Pingo for all your tests and also for the los that you sent to vuforia. I hope they will find out soon where the problem could be.

9. Le_Tai

Le_Tai

Did you guy use .NET 4.5? I have the same problem and revert to mono work

10. Aidan-Wolf

Aidan-Wolf

This is still a problem, where is the fix Vuforia

11. SkyAngel_AOG

SkyAngel_AOG

Hi, try build project in xcode 9.3, download and setup xcode 9.2, copy folder 11.3 (developer->platform->ios) from xcode 9.3 folder to xcode 9.2 folder and setup project from xcode 9.2

12. theolagendijk

theolagendijk

Hi @SkyAngel_AOG, this thread is not about that iOS specific issue. The question is explicitly about an Android device.

13. developersice

developersice

Having similar issue with ios devices on 10.3, watching this thread for an update...

14. pixelstein

pixelstein

ERROR/AR(13740) 2018-05-15 21:38:32: CameraDevice::getCameraCalibration(): Failed to get camera calibration because the camera is not initialized....
    As far as I can see this is a very old bug and I think it is time to solve it now!!!

vlasis likes this.
  15. Vuforia-Strasza

Vuforia-Strasza

Official Vuforia Employee Vuforia

The black screen issue has been resolved in 7.1.34.

16. developersice

developersice

Are incompatibilities with Metal fixed in this update?

17. Naphier

Naphier

Issue persists on Pixel 2, Android 8.1.0, Vuforia 7.1.35, Unity 2018.1.0f2.
    You can see the image tracked at the edge of the screen, but no camera passthrough.
    Screenshot, logcat, and VuforiaConfiguration attached.

Attached Files:

18. Naphier

Naphier

Of course as soon as I report this, I find out through a random forum thread that we need to use the "Vuforia" VR SDK in build settings. Please update your documentation, I've spent 2 hours on a task that should have taken 15 minutes with the right info. Thanks

leoyakxi likes this.
  19. randmeyer

randmeyer

Hi @michaelklenk, did you ever find a solution to this? I'm having the same issue on Sony Xperia XA1 Ultra.

20. sync3D

sync3D

@randmeyer @michaelklenk @Vuforia-Strasza Any news about Sony Xperia XA1 Black Screen Background, we publish the app and user write us for this problem can you help us to solve this issues. :(

Thanks

21. mon_carito

mon_carito

I have the same problem with Sony Xperia Xa1 Modelo G3123 Andorid 8, someone found a solution?

22. ironbitUnity

ironbitUnity

this worked for me, put this code in your Script:

Code (CSharp):
    1. void Start(){
    2. var vInit = Vuforia.VuforiaARController.Instance;
    3. vInit.RegisterVuforiaInitializedCallback(OnVuforiaStarted);
    5. }
    7. public void OnVuforiaStarted(){
    8. Vuforia.CameraDevice.Instance.SetFocusMode(Vuforia.CameraDevice.FocusMode.FOCUS_MODE_CONTINUOUSAUTO);
    9.     }