Search Unity

black borders around colorized sprite

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by F4bs, Aug 9, 2019.

1. F4bs

F4bs

does anybody know why this shader is drawing black lines when i colorize it? i basically want a shader that is able to put the whole sprite white without borders + it has to be lit and when the alpha is zero it should be the normal texture. Which is exactly what this shader i found does except the black outline. thanks in advance for any help :)
    Unbenannt1.png
    Unbenannt.png

2. iSinner

iSinner

I have a suspicion that the shader multiplies alpha with the color, that's why it goes darker on the edges till alpha fades to zero making anything beyond just transparent.

What you would need to do is not multiply alpha with the color in the shader code.

3. F4bs

F4bs

okay i will look into that. but im a complete noob with shaders. if you can add some lines of code that would be extremely helpful for me. this is the github i got this shaders from: https://github.com/traggett/UnitySpriteShaders and SpritesPixelLitDissolve is the one i use.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  4. F4bs

F4bs

well for anyone who has the same problem i just created a second material with the blendmode changed to additive and swapped that in. dirty solution but works ^^

5. bgolus

bgolus

What happens if you use the PremultipliedAlpha option?

The problem is probably because your Sprite textures have a black background and you're using the StandardAlpha blend mode which expects the background color to match the color of the Sprite in the areas around the alpha.

You could also try selecting "alpha is transparency" in the texture / Sprite asset settings. That does a dilate pass on the texture to remove the black background.

Alex-CG and iSinner like this.
  6. F4bs

F4bs

thanks for your reply :) sadly the premultiplied alpha option gives a white 10% alpha rectangle and alpha is transparency is already activated :/

7. F4bs

F4bs

i have those borders on every 2nd shader i use and i dont know why ><. its either those or black smudges. damn i wish i wouldnt be such a noob in this. but i will sit here and understand shaders somehow even if its the last thing i do lol

Attached Files:

8. bgolus

bgolus

Oh ... You have Write to Depth enabled. That's going to lead to a bad time. You can either have alpha blending or depth write, not both. Both leads to what you're seeing.

The "dark edge" is just the background color being visible because the depth write is causing the next sprite to be depth occluded.

9. F4bs

F4bs

you mean this:
    ZWrite Off
    Blend SrcAlpha OneMinusSrcAlpha?
    idk i tried turning it on off. i even bought shader weaver today hoping it wouldnt come up there.. but i chose the simplest shader and there's always occlusion on the edge :(

it only shows up when i make the shader lit though. it must have something to do with that

10. bgolus

bgolus

I mean really, it’s some kind of bug with those shaders. The fact that when you set the blend mode to premultiplied shows additional color outside the intended alpha edge means your content is properly setup to do standard alpha blending. But something in the shader isn’t handling alpha blending properly (like @iSinner mentioned), or isn’t disabling ZWrite properly.

I would try contacting the author of those shaders.

11. F4bs

F4bs

ok i changed
    Blend SrcAlpha OneMinusSrcAlpha
    to
    Blend One OneMinusSrcAlpha
    i hope this helps someone it took me days xD