Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Black areas in RT lightmap

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by JamieOz, Oct 27, 2022.

1. JamieOz

JamieOz

Hi,

I'm currently experimenting with realtime GI in Unity 2021.3.12f1 and am experiencing some lightmap issues. Some areas of the lightmaps seems to be black/no light.

I have tried upping the Indirect Resolution (hitting 4 now and don't see pushing it any higher will help) as well as using High Resolution parameters. I've attached a few screenshots - is anyone aware of what I am doing wrong?

Capture1.JPG Capture2.JPG

2. Homicide

Homicide

Experienced this since, well, using unity lightmapping, it comes and goes, every scene completely different, basically, no real solid one solution fits all when it comes to ightmapping in unity. Curently also chasing answers for lighting / lightmapping (though in HDRP). Anyways , watching thread out of interest for tips, insight, advice.

JamieOz likes this.
  3. kristijonas_unity

kristijonas_unity

Unity Technologies

Those look like NaNs. And as @Homicide has pointed out, they might come and go based on scene setup, or even on different hardware.

Have you tried precomputing realtime GI using high quality preset? Also, try creating a new lightmap parameters asset, and assign it either to the entire scene (in the Lighting window), or to the affected mesh. Tweak Irradiance Budget and Irradiance Quality sliders, and see if the issue goes away.

I would also urge you to read our Lighting Optimization Tutorial, if you haven't already.

JamieOz likes this.
  4. JamieOz

JamieOz

Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated.

I have had a flick through and will run through it properly today - I think if I assign the recessed planes which are affected by this issue to light probes that may help, based on what I skimmed in that tutorial. I'll give your idea of assigning a new lightmap param asset to those recesses first.

I'll feed back any progress I make.